The Canary of the Mind

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

zero_hero

The Canary of the Mind

Post by zero_hero » January 25th, 2010, 3:57 pm

The Canary in the Mind: The Transformation of Dreams as an Endangered Species in the Post-Human Electronic Culture

In my opinion, dreams are a bell weather, a canary in the mind, of the underlying condition of our species. My own choice is to study these changes through the lens of the dream. I propose the dream is the basic model for much of our fascination with virtual experience fashioned by a burgeoning electronic technology. Further, I propose that the psychology of dreams and their interpretation is increasingly relevant to the psychology of everyday life in a time characterized by an emerging human capacity to create a world of our very own designs.

http://www.psychomedia.it/rapaport-klein/lippmann02.htm
Dreaming In The Lotus

• Where does it come from, this quest? This need to solve life's mysteries, when the simplest of questions can never be answered. Why are we here? What is the soul? Why do we dream? Perhaps we'd be better off not looking at all. Not doubting, not yearning. That's not human nature. Not the human heart. That is not why we are here.

http://activatingevolution.org/dream_mohinder.shtml
I hate it when I highjack my own posts.

memories of fate in my own dreams
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » January 25th, 2010, 11:31 pm

What do you think is in my dreams Jack? I've not pieced it all together or made much sense. In need of an over-all dream interpreter, not someone who decides on one dream, but the collection.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 26th, 2010, 6:06 am

I could have put this on the dream book thread. Weill anyway I don't know dame. But I think I had your dream last night or one of your dreams. Or at least I thought it was. I can't remember much about it but it was scary. Had a young girl in it about ten years old maybe.

My dream was about bran muffins woke up thinking about raisin bran cereal. I must need more fiber in my dreams.

I don't know what was so scary about the little girl in my dream, she this eerie smile and maybe vampire fangs. pretty weird, but I had the feeling it was not my dream, I mean I was not the dreamer. The dreamer was a woman. So I guess I was dreaming I was a woman?

I think we got to find our own meanings in dreams. At least that is the way I feel about my dreams, I don't spend much time trying to figure them out. I think we are artists when we dream, we are "movie makers"

Not sure which dream you are talking about dame.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » January 27th, 2010, 9:42 am

Before I forget it...
I went to sleep trying to set the stage, thinking passionate embrace, a bit of romance with Vday on the heels, though it'll go by like the dead of winter. :P But, woke up from something other--

I was out in a busy, frozen packing lot at night, a yellow boat of a vehicle (similar to a white one we had in the late 70's or early 80's), a lot of dirty snow built up around the metal over the tire part.

Anyway, the dude wasn't looking, he backed up real quick and had his car right up next to me...the way I was strolling I was swinging my arms a little, and had swung at that moment, so my butterfly ring (by the wings) got caught under the rim of the car body, right along the edge.

I'd only had an instant to think it all over.
I couldn't budge the ring off, he was ready to cruise away (he'd no idea I was stuck). All I could picture was my finger being ripped off.
I heard his car engine revving. I saw the extra exhaust.

In those moments I gained his attention long enough to get him to stare back at me, to make him contemplate my female form out on a frozy parking lot that night...sort of look. I wanted him long enough---I got him briefly, our stare
I remember the look we two exchanged, held, the intensity through a windshield and then I slipped the ring off.

I survived it intact.

He sped off like a bat out of hell.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 27th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Do you have a butterfly ring?
That was a well done dream movie, I mean the telling of it. Makes me wonder what it meant. I wondered if it had something to do with marriage. I have had few dream embraces in my life. But when I was twelve or thirteen I kissed a girl just so ever lightly on her lips and went home that night and fell asleep hugging my pillow and imagining it was her... I been a pillow hugger to this day.

good night dame

I was thinking about that video of the Bob Seger I posted

Here is another version from Metallica.

I don't know what to say about it. The last scene reminded me of Tori Amos Playboy Mommy. Even sadder if that is possible.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOibtqWo6z4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dOibtqWo6z4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » January 28th, 2010, 10:55 pm

I do, and it was the same one in my dream. Actually, although many other people are generally different, in some sort of way, within my dreams, I'm usually not much changed as far as my looks, style, voice, characteristics...down to the small intimate details I'm the same.

That video is quite disturbing, I remember when I'd first seen it, those days I'd cry easily and I'm pretty sure this one got that reaction then.
~Lewis Carroll

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 31st, 2010, 7:19 pm

Disturbing yes. I don't think I will be listening to that song again for a long time. I will be seeing that video in my head for a long time. I am so naive about rock and roll.

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”