bamboo knees

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

the mingo

Re: bamboo knees

Post by the mingo » February 3rd, 2012, 2:17 am

the muscles are, but it's a matter of degree, not absolutely. The mind or dreaming self is not immobilized and holds the option of override. Hold on Jack, I gotta turn on the outside light for a moment, windows just rattled and there is no wind. ... well, I don't see anything ... coyotes howled when I was unlocking the porch door getting home tonight ... the lodge gets noisy sometimes at night, sometimes during the day too. Just heard a thump. Yeah, it's going to be one of those nights.
There it goes again, the thump that is. And again. The one sound that creeps me out is the one I hear upstairs - it always sounds just like someone walking over the floor up there. We close off the upper floor in winter and this winter it's been mostly quiet. I don't know what it is that makes that walking sound but it will put a tight shiver on your spine. It's unmistakable.

ok, the thump has quieted. Nobody here but us chickens, right? I got a bit from what you said about your dream - you sleeping in a truck, a place you've been familiar with, a world on wheels. Then you have an intruder ... the fact of him coming through the window showed a dark intent ... my uncle called this kind of dream a "two-place dream" - to describe how the dreamer is "in" two places at the same time and the action initiated in the dream world breaks through and carries over into the waking world. He was always very interested in this kind of dream, always made a note when they showed up, who had them and what was going on not only in the dreamer's life but in the world in general. Some idea he had that he never fully articulated to me, something about the "breaking through." There is something in the fact that you broke though from your dream to leave a mark here in the land of the living because of what was happening in the dream. And the thing you affected here in the waking world was, of all things, a wall. I think I should leave ya with that notion, Jack. I believe it to be the most important part of the thing, anyways.

There goes that thump again. Guess I better do a walk around outside. Just for shits & giggles.
Catch ya later.
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 4th, 2012, 12:29 am

Pardon the hyperbole, or maybe it was bravado, I did not leave much of a mark on the wall. I made a pretty good mark on my hand. It was not that much of a punch.

I think I was waking up fast from a threat, I wish I could remember what I had been dreaming just before the guy started through the window.

Thanks for the avuncular insight
I will definitely ruminate on it.

This thread started out about my uncle.

The thump
Does it set the hairs on the back of your neck upright, god I hate that feeling. That chill down my spine. Yet people pay a lot of money to be scared shitless.
I don't need no Ho wood movies, I got my dreams to keep me cold.

I always liked this song

"You can die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare..."

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 4th, 2012, 1:57 am

I think I was waking up fast from a threat, I wish I could remember what I had been dreaming just before the guy started through the window.

That would be good if ya could but otherwise, sad to say, it can't be tracked. Waking up fast from a threat - I've done that myself and it burns my ass because if I could just stay in the dream past that, I tell myself, I'd be able to get a better grip on the things going on. It's that damn panic reaction to threat that blows it all to hell. It's hard to remember any presence of mind when you are facing it. I tell myself it will all happen out some day like it's supposed to. I've had several dreams with that particular the past year.

That thump I told ya of last night, I didn't find anything outside. It's one of those soft thumps, it does not rattle anything but it's audible. It's the walking sound upstairs that sets the hair on the back of my neck straight up. Odd thing about it is the upstairs was remodeled completely before we rented here. It's all cut up into rooms up there, there is no way to walk straight across it, only from room to room, but when you hear the walking up there it's a straight shot across the upper floor ...

I'm not sure if any ghosts exist - and if, (And maybe I have) i ever see one it's going to do a number on the inside surface of my brain because I'm sure I'd have a moment there when it would occur to me was I really seeing a ghost or was i seeing a new part of myself? Some things just don't bear hunting after 8)

Thx for the vids, I enjoyed them.

tarbaby
Location: Oz, or someplace like Kansas, but mostly stilltrucking's vanity

Post by tarbaby » February 4th, 2012, 2:42 pm

I am not superstitious not one bit.
BUT
I think I may be a quantum mystic because
I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I *do*!

I always liked this poem

http://www.ghost-stories.net/ghost_poem ... poetry.htm

I do believe in repression too. I believe in the monsters from my own Id. I do believe there was some repressed sexual content to the dream. I am sure of it.

I thought about getting a small tape recorder on the bedside table. Too much hassle to get up and try to write them down.
“Where is that man who has forgotten words that I may have a word with him?”

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 4th, 2012, 10:52 pm

tape recorder is a good idea

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 10th, 2012, 12:52 pm

It is on my wish list, also a cover for my new Sony reader. I bought and returned four or five e readers and tablet pc's before I settled on it. What a wonderful machine, got a unique feature of letting me annotate pages with a stylus, I can use for handwriting.

Makes me happy, best thing I bought for myself since the motor cycle.

RE: Obsolete Diseases i went back to delete my reply but someone had already replied to it. So ethically I felt compelled to leave it. I was going to delete everything but this

"poetry the only cure for obsolete diseases"

Interesting factoid I heard the other day
Of all the books stolen from public libraries book on ethics are number one I think.

I had a little mini tape recorder but it stopped working. Thinking about getting a "smart pen" got a voice recorder built in.

Boggles my mind to think about "smart pens" smart cars, smart phones, now if I only had a smart computer I would not need to write this.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 10th, 2012, 12:55 pm

It is on my wish list, also a cover for my new Sony reader. I bought and returned four or five e readers and tablet pc's before I settled on it. What a wonderful machine, got a unique feature of letting me annotate pages with a stylus, I can use for handwriting.

Makes me happy, best thing I bought for myself since the motor cycle.

RE: Obsolete Diseases i went back to delete my reply but someone had already replied to it. So ethically I felt compelled to leave it. I was going to delete everything but this

"poetry the only cure for obsolete diseases"

Interesting factoid I heard the other day
Of all the books stolen from public libraries book on ethics are number one I think.

I had a little mini tape recorder but it stopped working. Thinking about getting a "smart pen" got a voice recorder built in.

Boggles my mind to think about "smart pens" smart cars, smart phones, now if I was a smart monkey I would not need to write this.
Attachments
monkey.jpg
monkey.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 2017 times

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 11th, 2012, 1:17 am

Don't delete your post Jack, I enjoy them.

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » February 11th, 2012, 8:57 pm

For as many times I broke my mother's heart she only broke mine twice.

I remember when I used to and sing this song for her trying to make my squeaky pubsecent voice sound like Vaugn Monroe.

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

MrGuilty

Post by MrGuilty » June 24th, 2012, 1:36 pm

the density of dread
lead in the keel of a saiboat
keeps the wind from keeling me over
I got to get the lead out

miss that job
getting old by the minute
no it is not the getting older
it is getting weaker by the minute
old age give me the wisdom to grow stronger like a tree with deep roots

miss the money too
vicious circle that job best the best thing to come my way since the gig as a projectionist at a drive in movie one summer ten years ago.

I am as cool as Peter Fonda
I keep on blowing it
"Let him roll boys
let him roll...."

He called himself Crazy Mike, find myself calling myself Crazy Jack, how many dead rats with maggotts I dreaded that.

for crazy mike with love and compassion at long last
Call it what you want dad, but it is more than that
More then can be known
this torment inside us
this clinging onto life
I have got to cling to it eight years longer than you did, twenty five years longer than Kerouac, and I still have not accomplished much with this lifetime.

Sometimes I wonder what the world would be like if you had settled in Texas in 1915 where/when you got off the boat in Galveston. Would you have seen sweet little sixteen Alamo Rose working at that vegetable market in Jewtown.

so here she lies and you up there on Dundalk Avenue your tombstone leaning from the shaking of the rumbling trucks coming and going from the marine terminal.

It is good to be burried close to the sea, or in even I romanticise
Boy oh boy oh boy
this is the shit
got to sit here on my ass
that job was my last hope for rehabilitation
Karma is to terribly beautiful
Sisyphus treads
as gravity increases
only deu ex machina can save me now

romanticise about the freedom of the road

well I have lost half my weight in twenty four hours, not a bad diet, I only way five pounds now. :shock: .
Attachments
senorjack.jpg
senorjack.jpg (29.5 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
I used to be smart

Free Rice

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » July 4th, 2012, 11:48 am

For Crazy Mike
Bambo knees asked for your chess set
He made a shrine out of it. He asked me to set the pieces out on the board in the right order. Then he glued them in place. He had that much respect for you. post pictures <here>
I dreamed about driving the bus last night, dreadful dream, I was hoping it was only a dream, the dream became so vivid, so intense, so dreadful it woke me to a semiconscious state where I thought I had woken up and the dream was still true. Then slowly I rose to full consciousness and realized that it could not possibly have happened.

You taught me fear, I have heard that fear is a man's best friend.

"You can die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare knowing well that your best days are gone, my heroes have always been cowboys"
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 10th, 2013, 5:30 pm

Unk, call me unk.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 12th, 2013, 6:59 pm

what kind of idiot fool crazy man would go north for the winter
cold front first of the year
as I prepare myself for the road again

we need to take a break from each other for a while

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 16th, 2013, 12:30 pm

as long as I am down on my knees I might as well

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2013/11/inheritance-invention-flannery-oconnors-prayer-journal.html

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2013/09/16/130916fa_fact_oconnor

http://studioeight.tv/phpbb/search.php?keywords=fear&terms=all&author=&fid%5B%5D=51&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

http://www.archive.org/stream/completenietasch10nietuoft/completenietasch10nietuoft_djvu.txt

yeah though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Lord
I will fear no wisdom.
the beginning of fear is to love the lord I suppose

He needs me to have a purpose
a reason to get out of bed in the morning
He wants me to be happy
scared shitless but happy

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 16th, 2013, 5:47 pm

Google Kerouac devout Catholic
Kerouac, a devout Catholic, explained many times that by describing his generation as beat he was trying to capture the secret holiness of the downtrodden. In fact, this is probably the most central theme in Kerouac's work (think of the saintly hobos and lonely truck drivers of 'On The Road' and 'The Dharma Bums').
http://www.litkicks.com/Topics/BeatEtymology.html
Flannery O'Connor prayer journal published
Readers from all walks of life may appreciate the mixture of faith, self-doubt, determination and resignation that runs through "A Prayer Journal," but book-lovers will be pleased to note that she presumes God is quite well-read.

Various passages mention Coleridge, Kafka, Proust, Freud and Lawrence, and at times O'Connor seems to be seeking a patron saint of literature.

"Please let the story, dear God, in its revisions, be made too clear for any false & low interpretation," she writes in one prayer, and in another, gives voice to a feeling that every writer in the world can relate to. "Dear God, I am so discouraged about my work."

Like Andy Warhol, O'Connor was a devout Catholic, and she tried to attend Mass every day. "God has given me credit for a few of the things He kindly wrote for me," she says, and concludes another entry with "Dear God please help me to be an artist, please let it lead to You."
http://www.chron.com/entertainment/arti ... 980476.php
http://onpoint.wbur.org/2013/11/12/flan ... er-journal

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”