Sounds like good news—maybe.

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

diesel dyke

Sounds like good news—maybe.

Post by diesel dyke » September 26th, 2012, 10:29 am

Abbas adopts 'Dershowitz Formula' for resuming talks with Israel

Harvard jurist and well-known Israel advocate Professor Alan Dershowitz has secured Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas’ agreement to a settlement freeze formula that he hopes will break the diplomatic stalemate and lead to a resumption of peace talks between Israel and the Palestinian Authority.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-d ... m-1.466794
"We are made to be immortal, and yet we die. It's horrible, it can't be taken seriously. —ianeskimo"

zero_hero

Re: Sounds like good news—maybe.

Post by zero_hero » September 26th, 2012, 8:56 pm

After the war, he refused to accept any government funding or to work on military projects. The way Wiener's beliefs concerning nuclear weapons and the Cold War contrasted with that of John von Neumann is the major theme of the book John Von Neumann and Norbert Wiener wicki

John von Neumann and Norbert Wiener: From Mathematics to the Technologies of Life and Death. by Steve J. Heims.
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/reviews/heims.pdf

Attachments
wienerneuman.PNG
Free Rice

"the lesson is... if you want it? keep a copy of it." Doreen Peri

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 26th, 2012, 9:47 pm

It is here my intention to discuss not religion and science as a whole but certain points in those sciences in which I have been interested—the communication and control sciences—which seem to me to be near that frontier on which science impinges upon religion. I wish to avoid those logical paradoxes that are bound to accompany the extreme (but usual) claims of religion to deal with absolutes. If we are to treat knowledge only in terms of Omniscience, power only in terms of Omnipotence, worship only in terms of the One Godhead, we shall find ourselves entangled in metaphysical subtleties before we shall have really embarked upon our study of the relations between religion and science.

Nevertheless, there are many questions concerning knowledge, power, and worship which do impinge upon some of the more recent developments of science, and which we may well discuss without entering upon these absolute notions, which are surrounded with so much emotion and reverence that it is quite impossible to enter upon them in a detached way. Knowledge is a fact, power is a fact, worship is a fact, and these facts are subject to human investigation quite apart from an accepted theology. As facts, these matters are subject to study, and in this study we may adduce our observations of knowledge, power, and worship in other fields, more accessible to the methods of the natural sciences, without at once demanding of the student a complete acceptance of the “credo quia incredible est” attitude.
God and Golem Inc
i believe in that which is unbelievable — tertullian
credo quia incredible est

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 27th, 2012, 11:16 pm

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 29th, 2012, 8:33 am

the sins of the fathers visited on the sons, daughters get off with just the pain of childbirth I suppose. What happens to the sins of the mothers, maybe there are none.

wonders today I am full of wonder

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”