Looking for Buddhist Wisdom in ‘The Princess Bride’

Truckin'. Still truckin'...

Moderator: stilltrucking

still.trucking

Looking for Buddhist Wisdom in ‘The Princess Bride’

Post by still.trucking » September 13th, 2017, 10:38 pm

"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

creativesoul

Re: Looking for Buddhist Wisdom in ‘The Princess Bride’

Post by creativesoul » September 14th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Om
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » September 15th, 2017, 8:30 pm

“Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.”
― William Goldman, The Princess Bride
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » September 15th, 2017, 11:04 pm

Yeah ! "I am here to avenge my fathers death"
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » September 15th, 2017, 11:04 pm

As you wish!

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » September 17th, 2017, 10:01 pm

It just so happens that your friend here is only MOSTLY dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. With all dead, well, with all dead there's usually only one thing you can do.
Inigo Montoya: What's that?
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.
Some movies I watch over and over, that is one, another is Life is Beautiful
Giosué:
"No Jews or Dogs Allowed." Why do all the shops say, "No Jews Allowed"?

Guido:
Oh, that. "Not Allowed" signs are the latest trend! The other day, I was in a shop with my Chinese friend and his pet kangaroo, but their sign said, "No Chinese or Kangaroos Allowed," and I said to my friend, "Well, what can I do? They don't allow kangaroos."

Free Rice

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » September 18th, 2017, 6:50 pm

I also watch both of those movies! - it's really the romantic in me- that loves it

stilltrucking

The Groundhog Day Buddhism Sutra By Perry Garfinkel

Post by stilltrucking » September 25th, 2017, 12:17 am

Ground Hog day another romantic movie that I can watch over and over. I like the idea of being able to keep trying to do it over and over till I get it right.

The Groundhog Day Buddhism Sutra
By Perry Garfinkel
I believe Groundhog Day is a Buddhist movie because of this "transformation" of the Bill Murray character. He becomes, as we would say in Jodo Shinshu Buddhism, "a true human being," as opposed to the self-centered and arrogant person he started out as. What is important to note is that the transformation occurs not through the action of some external supreme being, or through the action of the Bill Murray character himself (i.e., through his own self-power). It occurs because he encounters a difficulty in his life that is greater than himself.
http://archive.is/http://www.livingdhar ... -Hata.html

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”