Sex Pistols Remind Us All How to Rock!

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » November 1st, 2007, 2:53 am

OK, so it's Halloween. Took my twins out for their first Halloween experience ... well, that they can actually remember and enjoy. They're three. Buckets full of candy and faces full of excitement. After getting them ready for bed, practicing some tunes, etc. ... finally kick back and watch a few shows to unwind. And there they are: the Sex Pistols.

They're on the Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson ... you know, the Scottish Guy. I really don't like Jimmy Kimmel. I think you're either a Kimmel fan or a Ferguson fan, and I'm in the latter camp. Think the choice says a lot about you. Like Wal-Mart or Target. Republican or Democrat. I'm in the latter camp in each case. OK back to the music.

Four fat aging rockers with wrinkles and road dust on top of their wrinkles. Ugly may not begin to describe it. Talking, drooling, reminiscing about those early days. When punk was punk and irreverence was rock. Hard to believe it's been 30 years since they "dropped" one of the most influential albums in rock history: Never Mind the Bullocks, It's the Sex Pistols. Of course, had to have it. And I did. Anarchy in the UK.

Yeah, like they still have it. I'm thinking ... well, this ought to be either good or pathetic, or maybe even hilarious. Waiting through the commercial breaks for an answer. They take the stage, the cameras focus, and the guitar riff begins to wail.

Johnny's voice is not quite as vibrant, and the guitar lines are still simple, but hey, that's punk. But then it happens. Irreverence. PURE rock and roll irreverence. "We're so pretty." Here are maybe the ugliest MFs in rock singing, "we're so pretty." Johnny's proudly showing off his fat stomach and bulging man titties ... while the guitar, bass and drums lay down a solid driving hypnotic and truly punk rhythm. This is not some hybrid. Some prettified punky kind of thing. Not grunge. Not a group of posers. This is punk. The original. New song, new irreverence, but still the original -- PUNK!!!

I'm sick of corporate rock and roll, hip-hop acts that sing to tracks instead of using a live band, and country that sounds like 80s pop. I like my music real and heartfelt. That's the way I see it, listen to it, and that's always the way I try to play it. It's about emotion. It's about not hiding your truth. It's about giving your heart to the audience. That's what makes music special. That's what makes an artist special. That is rock.

The Sex Pistols proved it again last night. Not pretty. Not perfect. Vocals weren't particularly great. But they brought it, they rocked us, they gave us their souls. Let that be a lesson to all of you who hope to carry the mantle of rock on your shoulders.

And in the spirit of punk -- now, shut the fuck up and play!

B. Isbell
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”