Gaza: So What Is Israel Really Thinking?

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » January 4th, 2009, 3:41 pm

©2009 Beth Isbell (aka The Pregnant Pope)

[Deep inside the Israeli government ... ]

"So here's the plan: Ok, we agree with our enemies on one thing ... Bush really is an imbecile, but he's also a lame duck. He has the lowest support of any sitting US President. The US people are sick of war. Obama is a strong leader with public support who wants to begin negotiations as soon as he takes office. And we don't want to incur the ire of the world for not participating in US peace negotiations ... After all, I think we still want peace, ... at least in theory, ... so let's attack!

NOW is our chance in GAZA!!! We're tired of those Hammas bastards lobbing missiles into Southern Israel every day, so let's obliterate them. If we attack now, Bush is too weak to respond, and Obama is not in office. We can take advantage of the power vacuum created by the transition and attack now. We must assume that Obama would never let us attack. He wants peace. And without US support, our plans may be in jeopardy. So the time to attack is NOW! Bomb, invade, conquer.

Egypt hates the bastards too. Even though they're also Arab. Having a destabilizing regime on your border and lots of refugees crossing over can make any of your allies nervous. After all, before Hammas, there was peace on the Egypt/Israeli border, at least for a few years. So it's unlikely that Egypt will intervene to stop our counter-offensive.

And legally, internationally, morally, we have a right to defend ourselves from daily mortar attacks. As to innocent casualties, we're not sure that flies under the 1st commandment, but hey, we'll let Yaweh sort it out. And besides, we are the original old school culture - an eye for an eye, a head for a head - type folks. Well, maybe one hundred heads for a head type folks. After all, they make us uneasy. They don't even celebrate Chanukah for God's sake ... heathens!

Sure we both actually worship the same God, and neither one of us actually believes that Jesus was the Son of God sent to save us, but it's not like we have any grounds on which to base a peaceful relationship. Sure we both actually believe that a lot of the same religious historical artifacts, temples and locations are holy celebrations of our same God, but sharing is highly overrated. We must own, segregate, deny access to our holiest sites. We can't let them worship their ... er, ... our God!

If we attack now, maybe we won't annihilate Hammas or their leaders, but we will inflict serious injury and confusion, and maybe we'll be able to gain control of enough Gaza territory to give us better political leverage when President Obama does officially take office & begins the "peace" negotiations. So there it is, ... if we attack now, we will have better leverage in negotiations with Hammas when the talks do start. By attacking during the American Presidential vacuum we decrease the risk that the Americans, our protectors, will intervene diplomatically. And besides, it will be fun to finally extract some death and revenge on those Hammas bastards. After all, who likes to eat hummus anyway!

[Meanwhile, deep inside Hammas headquarters ....] ... Holy Shit!
Last edited by roxybeast on January 4th, 2009, 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » January 4th, 2009, 4:21 pm

very lawyerly interpretation of the situation, beth

my fear is that this dispute is so entwined and inter-married that we'll never untangle it. It's the Hatfields and McCoys from hell.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 4th, 2009, 4:29 pm

Roxy I would interested to hear your thoughts on what the leaders of Hamas who are safely ensconced in Syria and Iran are thinking?

I truly am interested, do you have any thoughts on what they are thinking? I don't mean the guys on the front lines. I mean the ones giving the orders. The ones safely in the rear with the gear back in Syria.
Not being sarcastic, I would like to know what you think.

my fear is that this dispute is so entwined and inter-married that we'll never untangle it
Yes Clay it is the white man's burden.

roxybeast

OK ...

Post by roxybeast » January 4th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Still Trucking ...

For the BBC perspective ...

Look, I suppose I could quip back my first thought:
The leadership of Hammas doesn't think ... they only have one thought:
impose as much pain on Israel as is humanly (not humanely) possible.

But realistically, they think they need to keep control of Gaza.
In negotiations, territory is a rather large bargaining chip.
Further, it's a base of operations ... they can attack from both sides,
so it's not only politically advantageous, but militarily strategic.
Continuing mortar/rocket attacks causes pressure, more leverage.

It would be nice to think that there is an end-game to Hammas' strategy, but I seriously think they don't have one - other than trying to get Israelis to pack up their bags & relocate to another country. One would hope that they also want peace and a safe place to live ... I don't expect they do ... which makes one wonder if there will ever be peace.

So what do you think Hammas ultimately wants?
Better yet, what do you think Hammas can realistically expect to get?
Last edited by roxybeast on January 4th, 2009, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxybeast

OK 2 ...

Post by roxybeast » January 4th, 2009, 5:52 pm

Still Trucking ...

Upon further reflection ...

Hammas wants political control & leadership of Palestine ...
by being a bigger more active threat than their rivals, they become
the party through whom the road to peaceful negotiations must pass.

Also by controlling Gaza as a base of active operations, they distract Israel from defending their Eastern flank, which is where eventually any major attack on Israeli defenses will ultimately eminate, and split Israeli's limited military resources. Divide & conquer.

Israel needs to watch their back ... now, more than ever.

Good luck with your peace efforts ... may God be with you!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » January 4th, 2009, 6:00 pm

These are my first thoughts

I don’t know much about any religion, Islam, Christianity or Judaism. I know we have our end times Christian Zionist Armageddon bring it on freaks. I have read that there is a similar end times scenario for the Islamic Jihadists. Maybe they would like to see the whole area nuked.

Pretty crazy sounding I guess. Just my first thoughts I will think about it some more.

I appreciate the comback

roxybeast

PS

Post by roxybeast » January 5th, 2009, 12:25 pm

ps ... I'm not anti-Israel ... I would be pissed off at Hammas too & justifiably so ... just pointing out that the timing of Israel's attack is strategic - taking advantage of this small window of opportunity to try to increase their leverage in negotiations, which are almost surely going to happen almost immediately once Obama takes office.

Or ... maybe a Hammas soldier was secretly dating the Prime Minister's daughter ... :)

you decide!

one of those jerks

Post by one of those jerks » January 6th, 2009, 6:55 pm

I am stilltrucking, I am changing my user name again. This one suits me so well. I am one of those jerks...

I was not offended by your post. You write well, I thought your post was insightful.

But I think you and Clay have no idea of the situation of the Jewish refugees before, during and after world war two.

A good time for Wyoming and Alaska was sixty five years ago. Have you ever heard of the SS St Louis?

I keep hearing the word disproportionate applied to Israel's response to the rocket attacks.

I am trying to think of what a proportionate response would be?

Despite all the bloodshed thirty rockets have fallen on Israel today.

I wish Israel well but I don't have their confidence in military solutions.

I do not know what Israel's end game is but every Israeli soldier takes an oath that Masada will not fall again.

The Christian Zionist preacher on TV quotes a Israeli government spokesman as saying that Israel has a heck of an end game.

How disproportionate does that sound?

Maybe they will do to Gaza what Rome did to Carthage after the 3rd Punic war.

The United States is not helping them by going along with what ever they decide to do. And the Christian Zionist are dangerous friends to Israel if you ask me. They got to get all the Jews on the bus to Israel so they can have their rapture.

I think the original Zionists were not so religious, more secular but in the seventies Judaism became the state religion of Israel.*(disclaimer) I need to check that out I am going from geezer memory.

Israel has far right religious parties that make ours seem like cub scouts.
I get a creepy feeling when I hear the phrase "This is Biblical land"

They say the beginning of wisdom is the fear of the Lord. God as a real estate broker is a dreadful concept for me. I think the whole earth is Biblical land.

I am an ignorant Jew my father was a stone cold Jew atheist. Even so he always considered his self a Jew. I have no religious education. I know nothing about the religion.

My mother's side of the family were refugees from the pogroms in eastern Europe. They were brought to this country by Baron De Hirsch. The good Baron wanted nothing to do with Zionism.
She is twice the man I am.

roxybeast

Thanks

Post by roxybeast » January 12th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Interesting references ... particularly the S.S. St. Louis episode ...

Beth

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » April 9th, 2009, 8:29 pm

Wow, Lily, you seem to almost be suggesting that it was a good thing that the terrorists blew them up! I strongly disagree with that sentiment.

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”