The Ultimate Metaphor for Art

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

The Ultimate Metaphor for Art

Post by roxybeast » May 1st, 2009, 10:00 pm

Typical student on the meaning of art: In my opinion (not humble at all on this one) the purpose of art is to make ya think. That goes for pictures, sculptures, music, poetry and prose. Or a combination of all of them. It may be nothing more than "Oh I like that" or "Yuck." May be life changing. Either works on it's own level. The purpose of craft is to make things that improve life by their use. The simplest of items can be beautiful and make life's task better through a combination of skill and heart. No communication, no true art. Art is a form of communication. Vital to the human spirit in my opinion. I do like being entertained, but I think there is a bit more to it than that. Then, sometimes that's all it is.....That can be OK to. We need entertainment in our lives. Otherwise they are pretty bleak. Learning art and music are very important to the development of the brain. Been proven by research time and time again. If we're going to be selfish, and only look for the tangible benefits to society, that is reason enough to support them in the schools. Then, the fact that PE has almost disappeared from public schools as a cost cutting measure makes me crazy too. Penny wise and pound foolish is the name of the game. (Thanks to student volunteer Matt Blumenthal for his contribution to the class, ... ok, you can sit down now Matt) ...

Teacher: Matt, that is SO BOOOORIIIING!!! - Say something meaningful for God's sake, for art's sake, for your sake, for my sake, for society's sake, for the sake of sanity or even insanity!!! Add insight ...

Art is like a bucket of seething hot piss,
it is full of life, purity, emotion, candor,
disease, sexual innuendo, ...
it steams, sometimes boils, burns, or stinks,
... you can see your reflection in it,
and it is not always pretty, ...
if you knock it over, you might admire it's beauty
as it captures the light of the moon
and the crazed colors of the night
as it scurries along the cobble stone streets,
before you decide to quickly quietly move along
or obey the screams of the constable running towards you
to clean up your fucking perverted mess!
Last edited by roxybeast on May 2nd, 2009, 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » May 1st, 2009, 10:02 pm

I love this metaphor ... I will likely keep adding to it as time goes along ... a nice start ... feel free to add your thoughts to keep the chain going ... collaborate in my seething bucket of hot artistic piss!

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » May 1st, 2009, 10:29 pm

now, this is real comedy, beth
very insightful
and entertaining
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”