War Vomits ... (spoken word piece) w/ Video or Audio Only

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

War Vomits ... (spoken word piece) w/ Video or Audio Only

Post by roxybeast » May 2nd, 2009, 12:33 am

"If we choose to go to war because we find it necessary to do so, we should know & accept what we are doing and what the consequences of our decision looks like." - Beth Isbell
"War Vomits" a spoken word piece & slideshow movie with graphic images of the horror of war ... shocking, but very very powerful! ......

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GN_YylQqiI
(WARNING this Video is very graphic ... watch at your own risk!!!)

AUDIO ONLY: http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/1432125

War Vomits
©2009 Beth Isbell

War vomits all over your peaceful country-side,
spewing blood and body-parts all over your peaceful intentions,
your house continues to jump across the border, trying to leave,
your neighbor is a spy, shot, terrorist, water-boarded, without trial,
without rights or representation, without dignity, all without shame,
we need information, after all, it’s for your safety, the good of mankind,
death, for the good of mankind,
death, for the good of your county, your religion, your party, your neighbor

War vomits all over your family’s innocence,
Your sister finds her son’s bloody head in what’s left of her kitchen,
Her house did not jump fast enough, military outpost, terrorist target,
It now changes hands twice daily at about 5 o’clock, like clockwork Orange,
Asylum, insanity, screams of agony and loss, and this is only one family,
Front line, frontal lobe, geo-political righteous-ness, justice, always justice,
God is on our side, their side, both sides,
they die, we die,
God smiles or cringes, remains neutral, or laughs,
O’ God, where art thou?,
O’ God, what have we done?

War vomits all over your carefully prepared foxhole,
Head down, follow orders, re-load, more ammo, medic,
Oh my God, medic, … medic, is that his heart, … medic
Get it off of me, get him off of me, O’ God, I think I’m going to be sick,
Back to the front, man your post, keep your head down, keep firing,
Your country needs you, your foxhole needs you, my platoon needs me,
This is not my war, but these are my friends, honor, valor, ooh-ra,
I need new pants, toilet paper, more water, sleep, God I’m starving,
Can’t sleep, they’re coming, they’re always coming, they’re ever coming,
Death comes like stealth but with such fury, rage, hatred,
War vomits all over my foxhole, my death a contingency plan,
Death approaches as I sleep, as I watch, as I pray, even as I love
Yet, I still love … and right now, I’d love to leave this foxhole,
And return to those I love, … before this war vomits all over me.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » May 4th, 2009, 5:24 pm

You have to admit it's a really good (important, and necessary) piece of work! Lots of work & thought went into synching up the images to match the words in the audio.

If you can't stomach the video, then at least check out the audio version!

I feel like a proud parent!

... what did you do to make the world a better place today?

Beth

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 4th, 2009, 9:36 pm

What have I done today?
There's flies in the kitchen]I can hear 'em there buzzing
And I ain't done nothing since I woke up today.
Make An Angel That Flies From Montgomery.
I made about six or seven posts to studio eight. Do you think that helped any?

Karmic Dice

I like the music in the karmic dice video a lot, and I like the sound of the German Language but even so I would not watch that video if I were you. Disturbing content.

. When good people lie for a good cause. That guy Rokke quoted at the end of the video has been attacked because he was not the Director of that agency that he claimed to be. he was just a grunt but I think the rest of it is true. But maybe he was and what is being said about him is a like
The following information from the military "Special Assistant on Deployment Health" paints a quite different picture. Unless Rokke can come up with the names of most of the 30 who he alleges have died, I will have to believe the government information, rather than Rokke's claim. Rokke seems to have exaggerated both his role and the number of people who have died since the cleanup. Here is the email from the official government source:

>>>>We can offer some accurate information to correct the record. Rokke is a private citizen and does not represent the Department of Defense. Following the ground war, Rokke was attached for duty to assist technical experts in the recovery and decontamination of radioactive material and equipment. The team of approximately 10 people was led, not by Rokke, but by a civilian from the Army Munitions and Chemical Command (AMCCOM). Rokke's primary role was to facilitate the recovery operations by ensuring the team had the proper support. Over the past years, Doug Rokke has reported varying numbers of ill or dead members of "his team." These claims have been researched and are unsubstantiated.

In 1998, our office compiled a list of 29 names of people Rokke reported to be on "his team." Staff members were able to interview 22 of them. Approximately 15 of the 29 people Doug Rokke had identified as being on "his team" actually worked on DU-contaminated vehicles. Two of the 29 had died, however, in interviews with the others, neither of these two veterans was named as having worked with depleted uranium. While we respect Rokke's right to express his opinions, the fact that he presents himself as an expert, does not make it so. His role in the Gulf War and at the Chemical School, as well as the specifics of his educational background, do not qualify him as a depleted uranium expert. These areas fall well outside of his area of expertise and responsibility.<<<<
http://www.ntanet.net/traprock.html

Depleted Uranium

When uranium yellowcake (U308) is processed into U-238. and U03. and U02, and UF6, and also into U-235, then this latter product is known as depleted uranium DU). Over the years of enrichment the USA has accumulated some 700,000 tonnes of the material. The military found that it could be used to harden bullets and bombs, and to be very pyrophoric. So, a shell will slice through the steel wall of a tank and immediately burst into flames. With the explosion it sends a shower of radioactive particles into the region, thereby getting into the dust and water of the area. Following the Gulf War (1991), children playing around the burned out tanks and machines were radiated, causing leukemia and thyroid cancers and sickness.

These special munitions and bombs were used in Yugoslavia (1990's—34 tons). In Afghanistan (2002—800 tons) and in the Gulf War (2003—800 tons). Again, they were used in the Iraq War in March and April of 2003. Meanwhile, a special set of radiation filters had been set up in Aldermaston, England, at the Atomic Weapons Establishment (AWE). In the "shock and awe" campaign of 2003, some 1500 bombs and missiles were dropped on Baghdad and region, and 300,000 rounds of DU ammunition were fired by A-10 warplanes.

A report by Dr. Chris Busby stated that within 7 to 9 days higher levels of uranium radiation were picked up at the five sites in Berkshire, England, some 2400 miles away. He believes that uranium aerosols were dispersed in the atmosphere and blown across Europe. Hence, the increase of radiation levels in the globe. 15

After 14 years, the USA Dept. of Veteran Affairs reports that over 518,000 Gulf-war veterans are now on medical disability, although some 7,039 had been wounded on the battlefield. Many babies, since born to the veterans, have shown birth defects. Many children and adults in the region of the Gulf War have suffered leukemia and various illnesses.

The USA has seven factories manufacturing depleted uranium ammunition at Paducah, Ohio; Portsmouth , Kentucky; Oak Ridge, Tennesee; Aerojet Ordnance at Downey, Calif.,; Honeywell at Hopkins, Minnesota; and Alliant Techsystems in Edina, Minnesota. Many planes, helicopters, tanks, ships and missiles use this radioactive material. 15 A recent news item stated that the USA has sold depleted uranium ammunition to 80 different countries. A Japanese physicist, Dr. Katsuma Yakasaki, has estimated that the radiation fallout from weapons testing and the use of depleted uranium munitions, amounts to the fallout from 400,000 Nagasaki bombs. 16

The USA has an annual military budget of $500 billion, and continues the possession of 10,000 nuclear warheads, while Russia has some 7000 nuclear weapons, with some 4000 of them on high alert. Each warhead is capable of totally destroying any of the largest cities of the world, and a nuclear war would destroy our civilization. These are the situations to which Saskatchewan exports more and more uranium.

End Notes— Sources of Information

(1) "Chemical Measures, Smoking, Radon Exposure and Lung Cancer Among Elliot Lake Uranium Miners," by Finkelstein and Kusiak, Ontario Ministry of Labour, May 1995, pp. i,1,8.

(2) "Components and Modifiers of the Healthy Worker Effect." By Howe, Chiarelli, and Lindsav. American Journal of Epidemiology. Vol.128.No.6. !986. p. 10.

(3) News Release, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, June 18, 2004.

(4) Comprehensive Study Report, Cluff Lake Decommissioning Project, Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission, Dec. 2003. section 6, pp.6-13.

(5) Letter from Kevin Sdssons, Director of CNSC office in Saskatoon.

(6) "Why Nuclear Power Cannot Be a Major Energy Source," by David Fleming.
www.Feasta.org -Dublin. Ireland, April 2006, p.3.

(7) E-mail from Club Sierra of Canada—sierradub.ca.2006, p.1
"European Heat Wave Shows Limits of Nudear Energy," by Julio Godoy, July 28, 2006. <OneWorld> "Proposed nuclear solution to energy crisis pollutes debate," by Adam Ma'amt, CCPA Monitor, Dec. 05—Jan, 06, p. 11. Also, “Following the Path Backwards,” by Gordon Edwards, Canadain Colaition for Nuclear responsibility (CCNR) May 2005, pp. Iv,17.

(8) Sierra Club, e-mail artide, 2006, p. 1

(9) "Chernobyl kills while bought ex-Greenpeace shills," by Harvey Wasserman, The Free Press Speaking the Truth to Power, April 29,2006., p.2 (— www.freepress.org/col umns/display/7/2006/1360)

(10)Spiegel International-Online, April 24, 2006, Interactive Map
(www. Spiegel.de/international/SpiegeJ/0,1518,41)

(11) "Tried, tested and failed," by Chris Hune, The Guardian., June 20. 2006

(12) Cited above, Fleming, "Why Nuclear Power Cannot... p.5 Also, Briefing Paper #3 .March 2005, Canadian Nuclear Association.

(13) P. Fritz and S.K.Frape, eds. Saline Waters and Gases in Crystalline Rocks. Geological Assodation of Canada, Special Paper 33,1987, Chap. 3.

(14) "The ethics of nudear waste," by Hugh Robertson, Straight goods, April 5, 2006, p.2. (www.straightgoods.ca/ViewFeature6.cfm7REFs206) Also, "Shut Down Nuclear Plants," by Gordon Edwards CBC Commentary, May 30, 2005.

(15)"UK Radiation Jump Blamed on Iraq Shells," by Mark Gould and Jon Angoed-Thomas, The Sunday Times, Feb. 19, 2006/
Also, "From Battlefield in The Middle East: Depleted Uranium Measured in British Atmosphere,."by Leuren Moret, Global Research, March 2,2006.
Also, "Occasional Paper on Depleted Uranium, by Chris Busby and Saoirse Morgan, Green Audit: Aberstwyth, January I, 2006 (http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2006/DU-E ... jan06.html)
Also, "Nuclear Depleted Uranium is WMD," by Leuren Moret, Aug. 29 2006. (www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle)
Also, "The Trojan Horse of Nuclear War," by Leuren Moret Global Research, July 2004, pp. 5.8.10.11.14 (www.globalresearch.ca/articles/MOR407A.html)

(15)"Canada .Playing Our Part in the Business of War," Coalition to oppose the Arms Trade, Ottawa. "Press for Conversion" Issue #52 October 2003.

(16) "A Question of Survival," by Dr. Ronald McCoy. President of International Physicians for the Prevention of War, Speech in Vancouver. June 26.2006.
Also, "The Terrible and Rapidly Increasing Danger of a Nuclear Holocaust," by Mel Hurtig, Speech given at Nathan Phillips Square Toronto, August 9, 2006. (mhlist@vivelacanada.ca)
Also, cited above, Leuren Moret,"From the Battlefields of the Middle East....," p.4.

Just the facts Jack
Last edited by stilltrucking on May 6th, 2009, 9:53 am, edited 5 times in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » May 4th, 2009, 9:56 pm

War Vomits

Amazingly poignant piece - video, audio, writing - truth: "War Vomits"
........ share this link ...... because the truth must be told:
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=108918

Definition of "poignant" (Dictionary.com)
–adjective
1. keenly distressing to the feelings. 2. keen or strong in mental appeal
3. affecting or moving the emotions. 4. pungent to the smell.

And this piece is all of that ...

Some viewers thoughts collected from the internet:
-------------------------------------------------------------

"I liked it.

It was disturbing and ugly, but so is war.

War is the vilest thing mankind can do to itself. I want to vomit when I think my country is actually actively engaged in two of them."

Kelly
Dallas, TX

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Interesting"

Matt
OKC, OK

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I already see the mass psychosis that is war. I
hope others see it too after watchin ur little clip.

peace"

Mike,
Melborne, Australia
Last edited by roxybeast on May 4th, 2009, 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 4th, 2009, 11:15 pm

“Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe”
Sorry Beth I am not going to watch your video and I would advise you not to watch the karmic dice video.

I listened to audio file. That is the best I can do.

Thank you for your efforts to end war..

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » May 6th, 2009, 3:46 am

Sherman said --"War is hell". Any who have ever experienced the realities of war versus those who merely edit video, we'll I'll just say that unless you have been there -- spare me the commentary. I'll agree that the effect of war is ugly, and painful, and deadly, especially on the level that your pictures show.

By the way, war is merely an extension of politics and that sometimes makes it necessary. After all, the enemies of our way of life want us all to die. Our way of life gives you and those like you the freedom to believe and live as you do. Keeping us all safe is good in the grand scheme of things.

Thank God for the brave soldiers, sailors, etc. If you can read this- thank your teacher. If you can read this without condition, thank a soldier.

Been there, served my country honorably. Colonel, US Army (Ret), Veteran - 3 tours in VietNam. Helicopter Driver, Unit commander. Proud to serve my country and preserve the freedoms that allow for such drivel as this video.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beth: I am proud of all US soldiers - nothing easy and everything worthwhile ... give them higher salaries, more benefits, more training & all the equipment they need to win. On the battlefield, my philosophy is whatever it takes. In capture, Geneva protocols. Since war is often a result of politics, interjection of truth in that arena can never be a bad idea. The video is truth. For both sides, for everybody involved, we should always strive for a peaceful solution to avoid this.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » May 6th, 2009, 9:51 am

Sorry Beth I lost the thread here.
Please pardon my wandering mind
I will spare you from any more of my comments.

I walked the streets of Nagasaki with Ferlinghetti in August of 1945. That is the day he became a pacifist.

I became one in 1976 the year I joined a Quaker meeting.

it is a good fight sister.
Shalom

Nazz

Post by Nazz » May 9th, 2009, 11:32 am

War is hell.

We choose hell.

Apparently.

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » June 1st, 2009, 10:07 am

hi beth, mercy
i just found your thread here
i appreciate what you have done
and that you are considering war
in it's ultimate truth, horror

i like how you have incorporated quotes from other folks,
including servicemen, etc

i am greatful that we don't have the issue of dealing with confrontational right wing attitudes here in this space, but i also have posted a thread incorporating a rabid anti-vets for peace sister of an iraq soldier,
that was a couple or more years ago

will check out your video and poem

i believe that we DO make a difference because we help each other
to survive this tragic insane reality with hope
we re-humanise ourselves :) :(

by doing something creative we can conquer the despair that would kill us,

god's love gone amiss in bewildering loss and pain
we shoulder our burden of awareness of suffering done
and say not in my name
and make a disclaimer on neo-con, post neo-con airstrikes
and fake intel and cia economic hit men

and yes god bless the infantry
use them with sense not with shame
and honor their beings with truth
and honor their bodies with armor

amen<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GN_YylQqiI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7GN_YylQqiI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » December 3rd, 2009, 3:21 am

I just ran across this post again & watched the video

OMG, that is powerful ... (and very graphic, so warning!)

I just thought that since America has now decided to send 30,000 more troops to fight a war in Afghanistan, which will make our total soldier presence over 100,000, that perhaps this piece needs to be shared ... again!

This is the cost of war ... if you don't like it, or it makes you uncomfortable or quesy, then do all you can to Stop the War! Write your Congressional representatives & the White House, protest, write songs and articles ... you can make a difference!

Peace (and I mean that!)
Beth

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

actually i DO support the war in Afghanistan and an alliance with Pakistan

but not the air strikes that kill innocents

the Taliban are a distortion of Islam as is AlQaida

I have resigned from Veterans for Peace because of this intransigence.

In WW2 over 50% of Quakers served in the military, many in combat, including the former headmaster of the Friends Stillwell School that Amy Carter and now the Obama girls attend.
He was in the Army infantry in Europe.
My old Friend Robin flew B-24's over Germany then, and flew with my father, a 19 year old who died in 1948. In 1972 after a year in Vietnam, I refused duty in the Air Farce sand was outcast, but now I can say that there is a time to fight. We take away from this when we abuse the military-industrial complex.

I also opposed the Iraq War from the getgo, spoke out publicly and went into a severe depression for several years.

We need to draw down from Iraq, our legacy that happened for power and profit, yes, with much tragic consequence and be alert for lies and manipulation.
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”