The Third Gender: Male, Female & Both

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

The Third Gender: Male, Female & Both

Post by roxybeast » June 12th, 2009, 4:50 am

<center>A Frank Discussion of Sex, Gender and Sex-Change
by Beth Isbell ©2009</center>
You've probably already seen in the news that daughter of Sonny & Cher, Chastity Bono announced today that she is planning to undergo a sex change from female to male is now Chaz. Here's the Huffington-Post story, with links to other related media outlet stories:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/1 ... 14441.html

As you know, I've been there, done that, in the other direction. My facebook friends & I have been having quite a discussion about the whole situation which I think you might also find quite interesting & informative, so I decided to create this article to share the highlights.

One of my friends asked, going from female to male will she need an "organ" donor? Another asked what all was involved in the process? And another asked, so what makes them male, the hormones?

First, NO, there is no "organ" donor, if she decides to have reconstructive surgery to build a penis, it entails skin grafts & muscle reconstruction around a flexible plastic prosthetic or tube, (& I'm not actually sure what all else), but actually most female to males opt not to have their downstairs done at all. Typically, a female transitioning to a male will have a breast reduction and a hysterectomy and start taking testosterone. While surgeons can construct a penis, my understanding from most FTM's I've met and literature I've read is that most of the time it's sort of a Frankenstein type result, but they're getting better at it ... so most female to males opt to go without & use a penile prosthetic when in the men's room or having intercourse.

And you'd be surprised ... once they start taking testosterone their voice drops & they grow lots of hair everywhere & in most cases, you'd never really know unless you were in bed with them ... estrogen works in reverse, but it does not affect voice. I guarantee you that in 2-4 years after she starts taking male hormones you won't be able to recognize her by voice or appearance & of course, taking testosterone does heavily affect your brain - especially anger, mood & in lots of other ways typically associated with "male" sociological behavior.

Male to female reconstruction involves skin grafts & inversion of the penis to create a vagina & construction of a clitoris from the nerve endings and construction of labia. The surgeons who regularly perform this type of surgery have become so good at it that in most cases, it's extremely difficult to tell the difference between a natural born vagina & a surgically constructed one. (One of my doctors' brought all of his female nurses, who were curious, in to look at mine after my surgery, and they unanimously remarked that they were shocked that they could not tell the difference between mine and theirs or their friends').

Taking estrogen will cause your breasts to grow, your hair to thin, and other changes to your body - less muscle tissue & more fat retention which starts to proportion itself as in a natural female's body. And it definitely affects your brain causing mood swings and development of mental thought processes and behaviors typically associated with "female" sociological behavior. Unlike testosterone, however, it does not affect your voice; so, male-to-female's have to be taught to speak like a woman, with varying degrees of success. Some MTF's eventually learn to even sing like a woman with a significantly higher range than their former male self. These changes are easier when the transition begins in childhood or teens while the body is still growing & developing.

I realize that a lot of folks think that having surgery & taking hormones does not change your sex, & some will never accept that it does, but it does legally and the reality is that the hormones have a much more drastic effect than you may think on one's brain, muscles, fat retention, & even the way you think. It actually really does end up changing your sexuality & ultimately your sex. If you don't believe it, try it! :)

I do think the younger the process starts the much more complete the transformation. For the kids that start at ages 5-10, or earlier, you & even they may eventually never realize they were the other sex at birth. The change can be very dramatic for those who transition in their teens too. This is because their bones, muscles, brains, & bodies are still growing and in the developmental stage. I think with adults who transition say between ages 30-50, your brain & body developed as the other sex, which makes things harder to reverse physically, and it's hard to unlearn brain experiences you've had as the other sex. Thus, the hormonal changes may never change you 99-100% like is possible with those who transition as children, but I think you'd still be surprised at the amazing affect & difference switching hormones does actually have on one's mind & body & the way you see the world!

My friends also pointed out that a lot of women may never see Chaz or any other FTM's as a real man, and that guys, in particular, almost never view MTF's as real or desirable women. The reality is that a lot of times, most people can't tell and would not know unless told or in bed with the person, and even then (particularly with some transitioned females) still wouldn't know. For example, one of my female friends relayed this story:
I dated a female to male transexual once..while living in Dallas... He was very kind, and generous, loving, affectionate, physically appeared as a man, but from the waist down was still female....we didnt last long, but remained close friends for awhile afterwards and then eventually went our separate ways.... I have to say that I very much enjoyed the experience...you learn alot

So I followed up and asked her, "if anyone had met the ftm man you dated on the street, would they have known that he had previously been a woman?" And this was her answer:
My answer would have to be NO. He had a mustache and goatee. the scars from the double mastectomy were very small, had a nice chest. .. BUT he did have WIDE hips, HE had a daughter when HE was a SHE. Other than that...you couldnt tell...very deep voice. I met him as a him....so I never looked at HIM as a HER...I always just seen the person that he was...the outside gender didnt really matter that much to me...it was the person he was that I really liked.
I've sat in a room full of guys that used to be girls, and unless they told you, you would have never known - most had beards or mustaches, lots of arm or leg hair, & spoke deeper than I ever did as a guy. I think the same will be true of Chastity, now Chaz, in a few years if he keeps on. While I think it's generally easier to spot a male to female, due to voice or facial bone structure, etc., I've also met quite a few post-transition females that you guys would have definitely been all over in a bar & would never know.

When I lost my female virginity not so long ago - he didn't realize or know I had been a guy ... (I would have told him but he was moving so fast) ... not until after he checked out my myspace did he realize & even then he still wanted to keep dating & still be friends.

Did you realize that 1 out of every 2,500 or so persons is born with genitalia of both sexes? That's right BOTH! - to varying degrees. Called intersex or Klinefelter's syndrome. Supermodel Gisele Bundchen is a rather famous example & what guy on this planet would not do her? There's a story that snopes.com has investigated but can't confirm or deny that actress Jamie Lee Curtis was also born intersexed - and a lot of guys have lusted & still lust over her. It's interesting that society is so interested, even demands, that we be one or the other sex, when it's a medically proven fact that some children are born with with genitalia of both! This societal desire is due much more to a combination of repression of sex in culture, by religious and personal teaching, gender role training and expectations, and media or other imagery promoting sexual desire than it has to do with actual medical fact. Eventually our legal system must, and hopefully the majority of the public will, recognize this medical fact and eliminate sex-class based distinctions and differences in the law and elsewhere in other aspects of society's rules, norms & expectations where appropriate and safe to do so.

A growing segment of, if not consensus among, medical & scientific experts in the field that now believe that a lot of transgender situations may be the result of this type of genetic and physical sexual development with characteristics of both sexes in the brain without going so far as to actually affect the genitalia as it does in people who are born intersexed. Scientific studies have found actual neuron & brain development differences in transsexual males when compared to heterosexual males, believed to be caused by an increased exposure of the brain to estrogen during fetal development.
Researchers discovered that male to female transsexuals were more likely to have a longer version of a gene which is known to modify the action of the sex hormone testosterone. "We think that these genetic differences might reduce testosterone action and under masculinise the brain during foetal development." said researcher Lauren Hare.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111005.htm and for example, see also, http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Prai ... 3/2034.pdf
In fact, the scientific and medical evidence is vastly more solid and established that the transgender condition is probably the result of a combination of genetic and hormonal brain development differences, than in the case of gay or lesbian sexual orientation. Transsexuals widely vary in sexual orientation, before and after surgery, and one is not related to the other. After transitional surgery, an MTF may be straight (liking males), bi or lesbian, and an FTM may be straight (liking females), bi or gay - although society's classification of their sexual orientation may change depending on the situation before and after, and any member of society's willingness to accept the change. In our view, our bodies change, but our mind and sexual orientation don't.

I can tell you that I now understand why women think the way they do much better being in and among and one of them, but I still remember how guys think & react having lived through and with all of that. It's an interesting and useful position to be in from a sociological & psychological standpoint.

I'm pretty open about all of it in large part because I still want to be a singer-songwriter* & still sing mostly like a guy (& not sure my singing voice will ever change, but I can sound like a woman when just talking), but I've met lots of folks who couldn't tell upon meeting me. Very honestly, I really don't think about having sex very much anymore - (not like when I was a guy when it was almost a daily obsession) - guess that's the hormones and also maybe acceptance of my reality, whatever the case, it's just nice not to be hung up on it!

Peace,
Beth

* if you're curious to hear what I sound like or to sample some songs:
http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16212
Last edited by roxybeast on November 12th, 2009, 6:28 am, edited 5 times in total.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 12th, 2009, 6:15 am

Cool, beth. Thanks for sharing all this info. I hadn't realized that about no-voice change in mtf transitions. The famous Israeli singer Dana International pulls it all off pretty well, but I never heard her speak as a male, so maybe the climb wasn't that dramatic.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » June 12th, 2009, 6:26 am

Judih ... here's another MTF singer-songwriter Namoli Brennet, but she transitioned much earlier in life than I did & sounds very female. Beth

http://www.myspace.com/namolibrennet

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » June 12th, 2009, 10:10 am

yes, her voice has got the lilt and the pitch.
interesting.
fascinating experience of life you're getting.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » June 12th, 2009, 3:17 pm

your comments are so human, beth!: I appreciate a lot the clarity, the directness, the sometimes humor and at the same time the elaboration in each of them!. I can easily resound with them even though I´m not transexual or gay. I guess we all are a sort of work in process and at the same time we all deal in different tones with our realities (or something like that) and the social mandatos... best wishes!!!! :wink:

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » July 2nd, 2009, 10:37 pm

Very interesting NY Times article finding increasing rate of deformity in male sex organs at birth & corresponding to alarming rates of genital and even high numbers of intersex species development in water animal species due to endocrine disruptor chemicals widely used in agricultural pesticides and industrial compounds in our water supply ...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/opini ... istof.html

I have a very distinct early memory of having to have the condition described in this article - hypospadias (in which the urethra exits the penis improperly, such as at the base rather than the tip) fixed when I was really, really young (2-4). These new findings may help explain a lot ...

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » July 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm

Since my gender change ... I have had a few very close friends or family members that "just can't accept it." Fortunately, the vast majority have. Anyway, for those that feel this way, that they will never accept me as a woman, here's what I tell them ... (which might also be helpful or instructive to you too!):

-------------------

Here's the problem ... even if I wanted to switch back, I can't ... so it's either accept me as I am or accept that perhaps you never will ... while I'd prefer the former, it's your choice & while it may disappoint or hurt, it is your choice to make & I respect your right to decide for yourself.

Frankly, I like being a woman - that part of it feels very natural like it was always intended and always should have been.

You might say maybe my body didn't like the change & that's why I now have all the health issues, I'm sure all of this has something to do with my pulmonary embolisms (which are like, but different from heart attacks) ... but the reality is that my poor habits related to smoking, lack of exercise & poor diet are more directly responsible than the estrogen, although I'm sure that also contributed to the ultimate outcome.

Anyway, I am who I am now ... I cannot change or go back ... I am Beth (officially, Sarah Elizabeth) ... I am a woman ... physically, socially, legally, hormonally & perhaps even a little genetically (per the science) ... I am comfortable with & glad for that ... I have no other choice but to accept it & move forward.

It would be nice if you could do the same ... if your friends or children or family still have issues with accepting me as a woman as I now am & will always be from here on out, ... if so, explain to them that maybe it was a mistake, maybe it was due to genetics & a hormone imbalance affecting my brain in the womb (which is the explanation provided by the modern scientific studies on this issue) ... but regardless, it is now what it is, I cannot go back physically or legally ... so if you like me or love me then you will need to accept that it just is what it is and choose to help me & be supportive of me as a woman.

For those of you that are women, I'm sure you know how to be a woman better than me ... & I really could use & would appreciate your help & insights.

And as to all of you, most of all I would appreciate your friendship.

Beth

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » September 11th, 2009, 7:46 pm

Third Category for Gender? Male, Female & Both

New tests on the South African runner who won the women's 800 meter world title has both male & female sexual organs. Will the IAFF now have to adopt a third category for Gender consistent with undeniable medical proof?

Full story with video:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wir ... id=8542714

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » September 14th, 2009, 3:17 am

A recent poem by my friend John Dull with Dull Music:
"If I was an hermaphrodite,
would you quite know how to take me?
Would you try to make me into you?
Declare which organs I could use?
Would you tell me how it is I feel?"

"Who are we? - the hypocrites
Who sit and ponder every day,
Telling others how to shit
And authorizing all the ways
We deal with love."

"If I was an hermaphrodite,
Would you quite know how to take me?
Would you try to make me into you?
Declare which organs I could use?
Would you tell me how it is I feel?"

I like this thought quite a lot! :), p, beth

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » October 15th, 2009, 2:46 am

<center>Texas Trans-Marriage Two-Step
By PlanetOut News Staff</center>

When an appeals court decided to define sex by chromosomes rather than genitalia, they didn't realize they were opening the door for a transwoman's same-gender marriage.

Transsexual attorney Phyllis Frye has used a notorious Texas court ruling that voided one transwoman's marriage to a man in order to gain a license for another transwoman's marriage to a woman -- and Frye promises they're only the first. Houston couple Jessica (nee Grady) Wicks, 53, and Robin Manhart Wicks, 44, expect to receive their license from the Bexar County clerk's office in San Antonio on September 6.

Frye says the decision that justifies the Wicks' marriage under Texas' "one man and one woman" definition came from the 4th Texas Court of Appeals in October. Transwoman Christie Lee Littleton's lawsuit claiming medical malpractice in her husband's death was dismissed on the grounds that their happy seven-year marriage had never been legal. The court found 2 - 1 that sex should be defined on chromosomes rather than genitalia -- even though all that's typically actually checked for marriage licenses are birth certificates and/or driver's licenses, and even though the court itself found that juries could not be expected to determine whether transsexuals' marriages are valid without more guidance from the legislature. In fact medical ethics protect the confidentiality of actual genetic information. The Texas Supreme Court has twice declined to review the case. Frye, who is also Littleton's attorney in that case, along with transsexual attorney Alyson Meiselman is appealing it to the U.S. Supreme Court, which will decide next month whether or not to review it.

The Wickses met about three years ago, began dating more than a year ago, and are now living together; Manhart Wicks legally changed her name this year. In July, they applied for a marriage license in their home county, Harris County, and were denied as a "same-sex couple," even after showing county staff the Littleton opinion. Wicks contacted Frye, who advised her to try Bexar County, where the Littleton case originated. The Bexar County clerk agreed, after checking with the county district attorney, that he would issue them a marriage license on receipt of certified copies of their birth certificates. The women are planning their wedding for September 16.

The Houston Chronicle asked Texas' most ardently anti-gay politician, state Representative Warren Chisum (R-Pampa) what he thought of the Wicks' impending marriage. He said, "What a twisted world we live in. I agree that gender is based on chromosomes, so I think that would set precedent, and I can't disagree with that. I don't know anything legislatively you can do about that. You strike up the most bizarre situation in the world, and the law's not always able to contend with it."

Frye responded that, "We're making it an issue with this [Wicks] marriage because the conservatives thought with the Littleton decision, the prevention of same-sex marriage was secure. We're going to start encouraging all the transgendered people in the state who are in gay and lesbian relationships to take advantage of the Littleton decision and start seeking marriage licenses."

San Antonio Express News columnist Rick Casey went even further, playfully suggesting that transsexuals could marry either someone of their birth sex or someone of their self-identified sex, depending on whether they were in a county outside or inside the jurisdiction of the 4th Texas Court of Appeals.

In the wake of the Littleton decision, a Travis County, Texas woman sought to deny her female-to-male transsexual former husband any parental rights with her child by artificial insemination on the grounds that their marriage had been fraudulent (the court continued his visitation). More famously, in Kansas a millionaire's son is contesting the inheritance rights of the transwoman his father married; a state appeals court will be reviewing his trial court victory.

If the approach used in the Littleton case continues to gain in popularity, Frye can envision every Texan having to undergo chromosome testing sooner or later. Among them there may be anywhere from 0.1 to 4 percent (20,000 to 800,000 Texans) who are neither XX nor XY, but actually intersexed -- and most of them unaware of it. Those people could be in for some rude discoveries in matters of marriage, inheritance, insurance, and even where they would serve jail or prison time.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » November 12th, 2009, 6:17 am

Bono to ET: "I Always Felt Male"

Chaz Bono discusses his gender-reassignment surgery exclusively with Mary Hart in a two-part interview starting tonight on Entertainment Tonight, telling her, “I always felt like the male from the time I was a child."
By Julie Bolcer

Chaz Bono discusses his gender-reassignment surgery exclusively with Mary Hart in a two-part interview set to air tonight and tomorrow on Entertainment Tonight.

Speaking at his home in Los Angeles, Chaz talked with Hart about the effects of taking male hormones, the extent to which he plans to undergo surgeries, and the impact of his decision on his family, including his famous mother, Cher.

“I always felt like the male from the time I was a child,” Chaz told Entertainment Tonight. “There wasn't much feminine about me. I believe that gender is something between your ears, not between your legs. That is something I discovered in the early '90s. It was just a long process of being comfortable enough to do something about it. I was turning 40 and I thought, it's now or never. I want to still feel vibrant and be able to enjoy my life in a male body and not wait until I am an old man."

Source: http://www.advocate.com/Arts_and_Entert ... t_Tonight/
<embed src='http://cnettv.cnet.com/av/video/cbsnews ... r-dest.swf' FlashVars='linkUrl=http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id= ... &salign=tl' allowFullScreen='true' width='425' height='324' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashpl ... bed><br><a href='http://www.cbsnews.com'>Watch CBS News Videos Online</a>

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » November 22nd, 2009, 2:58 pm

New ABC interview of Chaz (VIDEO):

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=9124789

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » December 13th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Scientists find single ‘on-off’ gene that can change gender traits
by Hannah Devlin

London Times, December 11, 2009

Scientists have identified the gene that keeps females female. An international team found that the action of a single gene is all that stops females from developing male physical traits, including testes and facial hair.

When this gene was artificially “switched off” in adult female mice their ovaries began to turn into testes and they started to produce a level of testosterone found in healthy male mice.

The discovery could eventually revolutionise gender reassignment therapy and improve treatments for babies who are born with a mixed gender.

The research, published today in the journal Cell, challenges a common perception that gender is determined purely by the X-chromosomes and Y-chromosomes. The gene that was switched off, known as FOXL2, lies on a non-sex chromosome that is shared by males and females.

“We take it for granted that we maintain the sex we are born with, including whether we have testes or ovaries. But this work shows that the activity of a single gene, FOXL2, is all that prevents adult ovary cells turning into cells found in testes,” said Robin Lovell-Badge, from the National Institute for Medical Research, a co-author of the paper.

The gene appears to have a “see-saw” relationship with another gene, SOX9, which is normally active only in males. When one is on, the other is automatically off. In the first few days of male development SOX9 is turned on, and this stops FOXL2 from becoming active for the rest of the man’s life. The reverse occurs in females, with FOXL2 being switched on first.

The discovery that gender depends, at least in part, on the competing action of genes that are shared by both sexes suggests that gender can be more easily manipulated than previously thought.

FOXL2 was already known to be important for the growth of ovaries during development and for their maintenance during a woman’s life. However, scientists did not anticipate that egg-producing cells in the ovary could be co-opted by a competing male gene to carry out the male reproductive functions.

“We expected the mice to stop producing eggs, but what happened was much more dramatic,” said Mathias Treier, of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory, who led the study.

Using genetic engineering techniques, the FOXL2 gene was switched off in adult female mice. Any developed eggs in the ovary died. Follicles, which eventually grow into eggs, slowly transformed into cells that looked like Sertoli cells, which produce sperm in the testes.

After the genetic therapy, the female mice also developed testosterone-producing cells, and their levels of testosterone surged.

The physical effects of this were harder to assess as male and female mice have fewer distinctive traits — there is no difference in hairiness, for instance, and little difference in size. However, the scientists anticipate that in humans the effect would be similar to when testosterone is given in tablet form. In gender reassignment therapy this causes females to lose developed breasts and grow beards. Their voices deepen too.

Apart from the changes to their reproductive organs, the mice showed no signs of adverse effects and had a normal lifespan.

The researchers anticipate that temporarily suppressing SOX9 in males would have the opposite effect. Turning it off would automatically trigger the ovary development gene to come on, leading to cells in the testes turning into follicles and ceasing the production of testosterone.

Applying the therapy in humans is a long way off, but the researchers say that it could dramatically improve clinicians’ ability to change a person’s gender. Rather than be placed on medication for the rest of their life, only a short course of gene therapy would be required.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/s ... 952050.ece

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » January 5th, 2010, 7:23 pm

<center>Obama appoints transgender political activist as advisor
Washington Times, January 1, 2010
</center>

President Obama has appointed Amanda Simpson to the position of Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce. Ms. Simpson is likely to be the first transgender appointee of the Obama administration. In a National Center for Transgender Equality press release, Ms. Simpson is quoted as saying,:

''I'm truly honored to have received this appointment and am eager and excited about this opportunity that is before me. And at the same time, as one of the first transgender presidential appointees to the federal government, I hope that I will soon be one of hundreds, and that this appointment opens future opportunities for many others.''

Ms. Simpson has thirty years experience in the aerospace and defense industry. She most recently served as Deputy Director in Advanced Technology Development at Raytheon Missile Systems in Tucson, Arizona. According to the Indiana Transgender Rights Advocacy Alliance, Ms. Simpson has an activist political background as well.:

"She has also been very active in political and community groups. She has served on the Board of Directors of two national organizations: Out & Equal and NCTE. In Arizona, she has been on the board of Wingspan, the Southern Arizona Gender Alliance, the Southern Arizona ACLU and the Arizona Human Rights Fund (now Equality Arizona)."

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/ ... vist-advi/

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » March 2nd, 2010, 11:39 am

France Drops Transsexualism from List of Mental Disorders
by Gaelle Faure, Paris, March 1st, 2010, Time Magazine

Several decades have passed since the West stopped considering homosexuality a mental illness. But for transsexuals, that kind of milestone has been elusive — until now. Last month, France became the first country in the world to remove transsexualism from its official list of mental disorders — a major victory when it comes to acceptance of this oft misunderstood condition. "I'm relieved. People might begin to look at us differently," says transsexual blogger Caphi (a blended name she's chosen to represent Philippe, the man she was born as, and Caroline, the woman she's transforming into). "It's a start."

But only a start, many transsexuals in France say. In practice, the declaration will do little to improve their legal or medical rights in the country. For example, transsexuals are still required to have a sex-change operation before they can change their gender in the eyes of the law. And to get the green light for surgery, they must still undergo extensive medical and psychiatric evaluations. "It's a symbolic victory," says Georges-Louis Tin, president of the Paris-based IDAHO committee, which fights homophobia and what it calls "transphobia," or discrimination against transsexuals. "Transsexuals are no longer mentally ill," he says. "They're normal citizens. But we haven't yet reached the point where they're allowed to make their own decisions instead of depending on doctors and psychiatrists."

Some transsexuals say the country's open-minded Health Minister, Roselyne Bachelot, removed transsexualism from the list of mental disorders because it was an outdated classification and because she wanted to acknowledge the work transsexuals have done to further their cause. But others see a potentially more troubling motive. Tin worries that politicians may be making allowances on this front to avoid engaging in debate on legalizing gay marriage or removing barriers to allowing gay adults to adopt.

Indeed, the French transsexual community doesn't exactly consider the country to be at the forefront of promoting the rights of sexual minorities. A just-released study commissioned by the Health Ministry, for example, paints a dreary picture of the treatment of transsexuals from a legal and medial standpoint. Sex-change surgeries and treatments are covered by the state — as in some other countries — but those who opt for surgery have little choice in selecting their doctor. Surgeons complain that they are poorly equipped to perform the complicated procedures and that few have received specialized training, according to the survey. And some even say they are ostracized by their colleagues if they perform such surgeries. For these reasons, many transsexuals choose to undergo the procedure — at their own cost — across the border in Belgium, home to some of the best sex-change specialists in the world.

Laure Laudet, who is scheduled to have an operation in France to become a woman in the fall, has been so worried about French doctors' lack of expertise in the field that she's done much of her own research, particularly on which hormones she should take. "In the trans community, people have to find their own information, figure out who the good doctors are and negotiate their treatments," she says. Recently, she had to travel 250 miles (400 km) to visit with a second psychiatrist — not the one she's been seeing for two years — to sign off on her operation. At the last minute, she says, the psychiatrist canceled the appointment to travel abroad. "And then they're surprised that some people try to commit suicide or castrate themselves," she says.

But what advocacy groups find most egregious is that France, like many other countries, requires transsexuals to undergo surgery — and become sterilized — before they can receive identity cards and other official documents confirming their new gender. "If we refuse, we're basically undocumented," says Caphi. According to most advocates, about half of transgender people — a term many prefer, though the French state doesn't use it — have no desire to go under the knife, preferring instead to simply live their lives as a member of the opposite sex in their dress and behavior.

This will be the next big battleground. Spain and Great Britain have adopted more lenient stances, even though transsexualism is still technically on the books in both countries as a mental illness. Spain requires transsexuals only to undergo some form of hormonal treatment to modify their physical appearance before it will issue new documents, while the British simply ask applicants, with recommendations from their doctors, to promise to live out the rest of their lives as their chosen sex.

In France, several members of the advocacy organization TransAide have unsuccessfully sued the state in recent years to try to obtain a legal sex change without an operation. They've since lodged appeals and intend to bring their cases before the European Human Rights Court if necessary. "We want to prove that sterilization is what's really at play here," says Delphine Ravisé-Giard, one of the plaintiffs. And the group's got friends at the European level. Thomas Hammarberg, the Council of Europe's commissioner for human rights, has been fighting to end the mandatory sterilization of transsexuals in the European Union, calling it a human-rights violation.

The tide may be turning. At least that's what IDAHO's president hopes. The French Health Ministry has already agreed to push other countries in the E.U. to drop transsexualism from their lists of mental disorders. And that, Tin says, is a start.

Source: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/ ... gle+Reader

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”