Beth's Health Care Reform Blog

A humorously serious look at life’s trials & tribulations,
American politics, religion, and other social madnesses by Beth Isbell.

Moderator: roxybeast

roxybeast

Beth's Health Care Reform Blog

Post by roxybeast » August 7th, 2009, 11:55 pm

Author's Note: Please scroll down through & to the end of the replies of this post, as I have been regularly adding great articles & resources! ...

THIS IS NOW THE ONLY WEBSITE AVAILABLE ON THE ENTIRE WEB WHERE YOU CAN FIND A COMPLETE HISTORY OF THE HISTORIC HEALTH CARE DEBATE WITH ARTICLES FROM MAJOR NEWS SOURCES, LINKS TO ALL PROPOSALS & AMENDMENTS ALONG THE WAY, AND COMMENTARY FROM 100s OF SOURCES DOCUMENTING THE DEBATE, PROPOSALS, NEGOTIATIONS & VOTES FROM START TO FINISH!!!

About me: I'm a civil rights attorney with several landmark decisions improving the rights & lives of working people to my credit, a freelance writer, and a singer-songwriter (to check out my music, click here ... http://www.studioeight.tv/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16212 ) ... but the bottom line here is that having seen and experienced American health care at it's best and it's worst, I strongly believe that meaningful reform is absolutely necessary. Personally, I favor a single payer system to insure care for all Americans, but short of that, I find that a meaningful public option is a must for the reasons that follow. Thanks for reading! Beth Isbell

Health Care Reform & the Seven Deadly Sins
©2009 Beth Isbell

Definition: "Those who are proud of their greed and gluttony for extravagant luxuries which cause discouragement and envy in their fellow men, and are angry if their lust for such extravagance is ever questioned or threatened."

Answer: Wall Street & Health Care industry CEOs

You might recognize these as the seven deadly sins per part II of Dante's Inferno: Extravagence, Gluttony, Greed, Discouragement, Wrath, Envy & Pride. (Note, the Catholic church subsequently substituted Lust for Luxury or Extravagence, and substituted Sloth for Acedia or Discouragement). Source: Wikipedia - Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

Which makes you wonder why the right wing fundamentalists in our society would rather oppose health care for all & capping executive salaries on Wall Street (despite trillions in taxpayer bailouts) by supporting persons who commit these seven deadly sins as per church doctrine. What God are these fundamentalists actually supporting?

President Obama has clearly laid out some noble goals for health care reform:
President Obama is committed to working with Congress to pass comprehensive health reform in his first year in order to control rising health care costs, guarantee choice of doctor, and assure high-quality, affordable health care for all Americans. The Administration believes that comprehensive health reform should:
• Reduce long-term growth of health care costs for businesses and government
• Protect families from bankruptcy or debt because of health care costs
• Guarantee choice of doctors and health plans
• Invest in prevention and wellness
• Improve patient safety and quality of care
• Assure affordable, quality health coverage for all Americans
• Maintain coverage when you change or lose your job
• End barriers to coverage for people with pre-existing medical conditions
Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/health_care/
Per the White House, this is what health care reform will mean to you:
No Discrimination for Pre-Existing Conditions
Insurance companies will be prohibited from refusing you coverage because of your medical history.
No Exorbitant Out-of-Pocket Expenses, Deductibles or Co-Pays
Insurance companies will have to abide by yearly caps on how much they can charge for out-of-pocket expenses.
No Cost-Sharing for Preventive Care
Insurance companies must fully cover, without charge, regular checkups and tests that help you prevent illness, such as mammograms or eye and foot exams for diabetics.
No Dropping of Coverage for Seriously Ill
Insurance companies will be prohibited from dropping or watering down insurance coverage for those who become seriously ill.
No Gender Discrimination
Insurance companies will be prohibited from charging you more because of your gender.
No Annual or Lifetime Caps on Coverage
Insurance companies will be prevented from placing annual or lifetime caps on the coverage you receive.
Extended Coverage for Young Adults
Children would continue to be eligible for family coverage through the age of 26.
Guaranteed Insurance Renewal
Insurance companies will be required to renew any policy as long as the policyholder pays their premium in full. Insurance companies won't be allowed to refuse renewal because someone became sick.
Source: http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-insura ... otections/
Who in their right mind would not want such protections? What decent American would not want to provide this blanket of health care security to their family or make it available to their neighbor's family? So why then is there so much opposition to the President's plan?

It seems to me that all opposition stems from two factors: (1) cost, and (2) fear. And, if we're honest about it, most of the cost objections voiced by opponents so far, are at least in part, also based in fear.

If cost is only measured by increased governmental expenditures in the short term to cover subsidies to help poor and middle income families obtain coverage, then the critics may have a point. But it seems that costs, from my perspective, and likely yours, should consider that with a public option in place individuals and families will have to spend the same or likely less out of pocket to obtain satisfactory health care. President Obama has promised "We'll cut the cost of a typical family's health care by up to $2,500 per year." That's you and me, our pockets, our costs. When considered from the family perspective, rather than solely that of government expenditures, each family wins.

Per NPR, 34 million people who are currently without insurance will also be able to obtain decent coverage (unless health insurance lobbyists succeed in gutting the bill by putting in ridiculously high deductibles or exclusions for coverage to lower pubic costs by jeopardizing public health). The reality is that if you are insured, or if you pay taxes, you pay to fund emergency room programs and clinics that provide these uninsured Americans health care right now through higher premiums or higher taxes, or perhaps through charitable contributions you choose to make. It's obvious by their massive profits and mega-seven figure CEO salaries that the health insurance and drug company executives are not absorbing all this free uninsured emergency health care under their current system. They find ways now to push these costs off on the government or to have you or I or our neighbors foot the entire bill.

Importantly, the current system is emergency based. Unless you are lucky enough to be able to afford comprehensive health care, you don't seek health care except for emergencies and the most serious issues. Under the Obama plan, the focus would shift to preventative health care. By allowing families and individuals to have routine check-ups covered, encouraging pro-active follow-up by medical providers, and affording care at the earliest onset of a problem, long-term medical costs will be drastically reduced. The incidences of terminal cancer, and other terminal or life-threatening or major medical conditions, which are by far the most expensive to treat will be substantially reduced. If you're grandmother suspects that the mole on her face is cancerous, she would be able to get it checked out and treated early, rather than having to wait for her face to fall off & have the cancer spread through her system before even seeking treatment in the emergency room. Which option do you think costs you or society in general more? These same Americans will also be able to continue working and thus, continuing to pay taxes, rather than draining resources to pay for catastrophic care. So prevention will have the direct effect of ultimately lowering average healthcare costs and increasing future tax revenues, factors which the insurance lobbyists, & even the CBO's report, ignore.

Further, in his recent speech to the American Medical Association (AMA), President Obama said he had spelled out $950 billion worth of budget cuts and tax increases over the next 10 years -- an amount, he said, that takes "us almost all the way to covering the full cost of health-care reform." Even if the estimated costs of of subsidies under the plan turn out to be more, this is still a significant payment toward the overall projected costs of his plan. Long-term, as discussed above, prevention will save lives and money, and improve our overall health.

We should also consider that the cost of doing nothing and keeping the current system in place is considerable. Medical costs are skyrocketing. Many families and individuals are being denied or dropped from coverage. Per NPR, premiums to keep the same medical insurance plan in place have increased 3-4 times faster than wages annually. In a recent interview on Bill Moyers' journal, a former high ranking executive from the health care insurance industry, said that one thing is responsible for these increased consumer costs: greed. He said these companies are not driven by the need to help patients (i.e. you and me), but the need to line shareholders and executives pockets with increased dividends and excessive revenues. (Interview with Wendell Potter, http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07312009/watch.html)

Moyers recently interviewed Marcia Angell, who was the first female physician ever to be named editor-in-chief of the New England Journal of Medicine and currently a professor at Harvard Medical School, and Trudy Lieberman director of the health and medical reporting program at the Columbia School of Journalism was particularly poignant. Their discussion was fascinating and so I have included most of it below, and you can watch the original interview here: http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07242009/watch.html
MARCIA ANGELL - [President Obama] was right in his press conference, when he talked about cost as the central issue. And he said, if we don't control cost, not only will the health system continue to disintegrate, but it'll drag the whole economy down with it. What he has essentially advocated is throwing more money into the current system. He's treating the symptom and he's not treating the underlying cause of our problem. Our problem is that we spend two and a half times as much per person on health care as other advanced countries, the average of other advanced countries. And we don't get our money's worth.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN - I feel the American people need to know what is in that bill. And what's in the bill is an individual mandate that is going to require all Americans with a few exceptions, to carry health insurance. And that means if you do not get insurance from Medicare or Medicaid or your employer. You're going to have to go out and buy health insurance. And that is a lot of money for most people because most of them would buy it now if they could afford it. About 85 percent of the uninsured require subsidies, because they can't afford it. And I think this is going to come up as a big surprise to people to realize they're going to have to buy insurance from private insurance companies or face a tax penalty.

MARCIA ANGELL - Well, that goes to the cause of the problem. We are the only advanced country in the world that has chosen to leave health care to the tender mercies of a panoply of for-profit businesses, whose purpose is to maximize income and not to provide health. And that's exactly what they do. So, now he says, okay, this is a terribly inefficient, wasteful system. Let's throw some money into it.

MARCIA ANGELL: [The current proposed bills] Delivers to the private insurance industry a captive market.

BILL MOYERS: By the mandate.

MARCIA ANGELL: By the mandate.

BILL MOYERS: It says "Marcia Angell, you've got to--"

MARCIA ANGELL: For whatever price they want to charge. Right. And so, this will increase costs. And let me tell you what he's running into, and he'd like to be able to pull a rabbit out of the hat, but he won't be able to. If you leave this profit-oriented system in place, you can't both control costs and increase coverage. You inevitably, if you try to increase coverage, increase costs. The only answer, the only answer, and he said it at the beginning of his press conference, is a single payer system. In his first sentence, he said, that is the only way to cover everyone.

BILL MOYERS: But he's also said, if we were starting the system from scratch, we could have single payer. But we're not starting this system from scratch.

MARCIA ANGELL: You know, you don't pour more money into a failing system. You convert.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: It will be a bonanza for the health insurance industry. And a bonanza for the pharmaceutical industry. And for the doctors, too. Because the doctors are going to get more paying patients, because people will now have this ticket, this insurance card, that they can whip out when they need medical services.

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, they can charge whatever they want. That there will be no bargaining. That--

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: Medicare.

MARCIA ANGELL: That Medicare Part D will not bargain for lower prices. There'll be no formularies. You know, even this thing about the pharmaceutical industry is going to kick in $80 billion over ten--

BILL MOYERS: Have we heard--

MARCIA ANGELL: --years. That the President mentioned in the press conference.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: Only if health care passes. So.

MARCIA ANGELL: First this is $8 billion a year for the pharmaceutical industry. This is chump change. And second, it's only for brand-name drugs. So, in a sense, it's a subsidy for the most expensive drugs.

BILL MOYERS: Do you believe the health care industry when it tells President Obama that "we will voluntarily cut costs"?

MARCIA ANGELL: No. I mean, these are investor owned businesses. If they behave like charities, heads would roll in the executive suites. They are there to maximize profits. And that's exactly what they do.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: What's happened now is that the industries have gotten pretty much what they want out of the bills that are going forward.

And so, they need to build public support. They need to make everybody in the public realize that they actually are wearing white hats in this one. But behind the scenes, they are lobbying ferociously against the public plan, against cuts in doctors fees, against all kinds of things that they don't want. And for that they're using a different sort of lobbying tactic. All of these are communications or lobbying strategies that they know how to do and they are very excellent at doing them.

MARCIA ANGELL: It's clear that they can turn it to their advantage.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: Right.

MARCIA ANGELL: That nobody is really trying to break their-- except the single payer people -- their death grip on the system. And here you have hundreds of for profit insurance companies that maximize their income by denying care to the people who need it most. And that's the insurance system. That's how we pay for health care.

But you also have to look at how we deliver health care. And we deliver that, primarily or largely, in for-profit facilities -- businesses, hospitals -- whose interest is in delivering only profitable care. So, we have a system that's through and through, in both the payment system and the delivery system, is oriented toward profits. Neither the Senate nor the House is doing anything to change that.

BILL MOYERS: The President says there will be a public option in my bill that will compete with the private insurance. To bring the cost down.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: That's--

BILL MOYERS: That's what he said.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: That's what he says. Again, we get back to the detail question and the particulars, which are so absent in this whole discussion. We don't know what a public plan will look like. And even if there's going to be a public plan. The insurers don't want it. It's not clear that the doctors want it. And the pharmaceutical companies don't want it.

So my question is, are they working behind the scenes to make sure this doesn't happen? My guess is-- my answer is, they probably are.

MARCIA ANGELL: A lot is said about how the public wants to cling to what it has. What I'm finding is something that confirms the polls that have been done. Showing that something like two-thirds of the public would favor a Canadian style or a Medicare for all style single payer system.

The same is true of physicians, now. About 60 percent of physicians favor Medicare for all, or a single payer system. So, what is against it? The pharmaceutical and the insurance industries are the biggest lobbies in Washington. They spend millions and millions on influential members of Congress. And the amount that they are spending now to the Chairman of the relevant health committees has increased enormously in the past few months.

BILL MOYERS: Just the other day the Chamber of Commerce began running an advertising campaign. And the Chamber says a new government run plan will undermine employer sponsored coverage and eventually lead to a government takeover of the health care system.

MARCIA ANGELL: Like Medicare.

BILL MOYERS: Alright. That will limit--

MARCIA ANGELL: That's scary.

BILL MOYERS: That will limit patients' choices. I mean, isn't that proving to be a convincing argument with the public? That seems to be--

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, it's phony, of course.

BILL MOYERS: Phony?

MARCIA ANGELL: It's phony, in the sense that Medicare is a single payer system, embedded within our larger market-based system. You have totally free choice of a physician in Medicare. You don't in most employer-sponsored private plans. Canada, totally free choice of doctors. So, this is simply not true.

BILL MOYERS: Let me show you both a couple of clips from the House floor recently. And get your comments on them. These are two Congressmen who are opposed to any kind of national insurance or general coverage. Look at this.

REP. STEVE KING: They're going to save money by rationing care, getting you in a long line, places like Canada and the United Kingdom and Europe. People die when they're in line.

REP LOUIE GOHMERT: One in five people have to die because they went to socialized medicine! Now I've got three daughters and a wife. I would hate to think that among five women, one of them is going to die because we go to socialized care and we have to have these long lists to get a mammogram. Once you find it to get treatment. It's insane.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: We've heard these arguments since 1948. And what amazes me -- they opposed a national health system under President Truman. So, that notion, that conventional wisdom in America is pretty ingrained and pretty deep. What they fail to say here is that people are waiting in line in America. We ration care in America. We do it by income. People who don't have money and the ticket to health care, do not get the care.

So that rationing is taking place. But even people who do have insurance are waiting months for mammograms. In Florida, there's been a horrible shortage of places where women can go and get mammograms. And most people have to wait a long time to get an appointment with a doctor for an annual physical.

MARCIA ANGELL: If we continue to spend what we do, right now, on health care, but had a system that distributed it according to medical need, there would be no rationing. And if we held it at that cost, there would never be any rationing. So, it's simply not right. The problem is not the money, it's the system. There is more than enough in the system already. And that's why I don't think it's a good idea to pour more money into a dysfunctional system.

Obama said, in his press conference, the worst thing we can do is nothing. The most costly thing we can do is nothing. Now, I disagree with that. You can throw more money into this system and make it even more costly. But in a sense, we are at a point now, where we have to act. And we have to confront the private insurance industry directly.

BILL MOYERS: Do you see any evidence that the President wants to do that?

MARCIA ANGELL: No, no. But--

BILL MOYERS: Is willing to do that?

MARCIA ANGELL: But what I would say this time around, and now I am going to be very pessimistic, Bill. This time around, I don't think it's going to happen because of the power the pharmaceutical and insurance lobbies. I don't think it's going to happen. But I would rather see Obama go down fighting for something coherent and practical that the public could mobilize behind, than go down fighting for this amorphous plan that tries to keep these private insurance industry in place.

BILL MOYERS: It seems to me like they're more finessing than fighting.

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, he will have to fight. But I think he'll go down.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: They've been finessing since the very beginning. They've been finessing since the campaign. During the campaign, he was not even willing to be pinned down. He had a whole list of things that he would like to do. But so did Hillary Clinton and John McCain. And in some ways, they really weren't all that far apart, except on the issue of long term care.

That is another time bomb that is awaiting America and nobody has talked about it. But aside from that, I see an Administration that is trying to keep this playbook going as long as possible. And to commit as little as possible until the 11th hour. And by then, it's going to be too late for the American people to know what's going to await them. And as a journalist, whose job it is to explain to the average person on the street what all of this means to them-- that's not happening. And as a journalist, that troubles me. The press has not dealt with the issue of how this is going to affect the auto mechanic on Main Street. Or the babysitter. Or--

MARCIA ANGELL: We don't know what this is.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: But we know the outlines enough. We know about the individual mandate. We sort of know that if there's a public plan, it might be this tiering arrangement that has a bronze, silver, and gold kind of arrangement. And you can pay more if you have more. Which still perpetuates the problem that we have. We know enough so that journalists can write the story.

BILL MOYERS: Do I hear you both saying, in effect, what Bill Kristol, the Republican strategist said this week? "Kill this bill. Kill this proposal that Obama is pressing and start over?"

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: Well, not in fact.

MARCIA ANGELL: Not exactly.

BILL MOYERS: You're hesitating.

MARCIA ANGELL: I'm hesitating. Because I don't think he's grasped the nettle. And I don't think that even the best of the proposals that he is considering are going to be effective. And I worry about even the public option, because--

BILL MOYERS: You've been skeptical of the public option.

MARCIA ANGELL: I'm skeptical of that, because the power of the insurance industry is so great that I believe that they would use their clout in Congress to hobble the public option in some way. And have it become a dumping ground for the sickest patients, and then cream off the profitable ones for themselves. And then what people would decide is that the public option was no good. That the public couldn't do any-- the government couldn't do anything right. And that would be the wrong lesson to dwell on.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: That's what some people fear will happen to Medicare. That it will be privatized in some way, to deal with--

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, Part D.

BILL MOYERS: Part D is...

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: --and only the sickest people will remain in the Medicare pool of people, who get benefits. I want to go back to Kristol's argument. And what he well, we sort of know what the conservative plan might look like. It's basically a market-based approach that would rely on private insurance but also on what is a relatively new kind of insurance arrangement called "consumer-driven health care."

And by that we mean policies that have very high deductibles. I've seen some being sold, by some of the Blue Cross plans, as being $20 thousand deductibles. And $40 thousand if you go out of network. So, is that really insurance? And are people going to be buying these, because they will be affordable, because the higher the deductible, the cheaper the policy. And so then what's going to happen to them when a serious illness strikes, and they have to cough up the money? They're not going to have it. So, this whole issue of underinsurance, which is kind of tied in with the conservative approach, hasn't even been discussed.

BILL MOYERS: Given what you've said, why the rush? Why not slow this down and give this very big issue more due deliberation?

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: It's really a political calculation. And I think that they believe that they have to act quickly, because it might not happen. Because the sooner you have the special interests going back home, during the August recess and holding town hall meetings and talking to people in coffee shops, they're going to find that maybe this isn't something that people really want or have doubts about.

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, I think we are in a hurry. I think that President Obama's worried, that what happened with the Clinton plan can happen with him. And I do have a feeling of déjà vu all over again. That this is like 1993. That the opposition is having a chance to mobilize. To march out these Canadians who say they had brain tumors and had to die. Or these ads that say 20 percent of Europeans drop dead.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: And Harry and Louise are back

MARCIA ANGELL: And I think he does. He is right to worry about that. And he is right to want to do it in a hurry. The problem is he is not doing the right thing.

BILL MOYERS: Because?

MARCIA ANGELL: Well, the plan is not for all the reasons we've said. It leaves the bad guys in place. And it tries to kind of make concessions. And what the Clintons found out is they too wanted to keep the private insurance industry at the table. And maybe regulate them a little. And what the private insurance industry decided was, "Why should we take half a loaf when we can have the whole thing?" And that's what I'm seeing happen. Happening now.

TRUDY LIEBERMAN: We are having the same debate, almost, that we had in '93-'94. And it's something I've written about for the Columbia Journalism Review. It's actually the same debate we've had decades before. And it's the unwillingness to look at what we could learn from other systems. Single payer, multiple payers, as they have in Germany and Japan. Or even in the Netherlands, where there are private payers. What's really happening there?

So, I think there's an unwillingness on the part of politicians-- on the part of advocacy groups, some advocacy groups, to really educate Americans on what the possibilities are. And we at C.J.R. have been saying we really have not had a vibrant discussion about other possibilities.

MARCIA ANGELL: I think we have to start all over on this. I really do. I think we have to go for a single payer system. You could institute that gradually. You could do it state by state. You could do it decade by decade. You could improve Medicare. That is, make it nonprofit. But extend it down to age 55 and age 45 and age 35. It would give the private insurance industry a chance to go into hurricanes, earthquakes or something. To get out of the health business. It could be done gradually. I think that has to be done. And it's the only thing that can be done.

Source: Bill Moyers' Journal, Transcript of July 24, 2009 show http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/07242009/watch.html
As Potter, LIeberman and Angell discuss the strategy of the health care insurance industry is to bread fear. Fear of that under a public option care would be rationed, fear that government interference will restrict the cures and treatments you can receive, and which doctor you can see. (Fears that, by the way, have not borne out under medicare or medicaid, which are also run by the government). These "fears" are all written word for word by insurance lobbyists and handed to Senators, Congressman and Republican party officials who are being fed millions and millions in contributions by the health care industry because they fear what a public option might do to their profits. Not how it might improve your health, but only how it might affect their bottom line. Industry lobbying reports consistently show that the health care industry lobbyists are spending $1.5 million per day to prevent the public option and essentially gut any meaningful reforms.

We cannot continue, for our sake or the sake of our children and their children, to let these greed driven monied interests hold the health of American citizens hostage. We should be ashamed as Americans that other countries provide better care for all their citizens for less money. If other countries can enact viable cost effective solutions to provide preventative and meaningful health care, why can't our government? The answer is greed. Profit driven companies that have a death grip on the system and will spend billions to make sure that it stays that way.

Author's note: This article was too big to post in it's entirety, so it is continued in the Replies below
Last edited by roxybeast on March 22nd, 2010, 4:14 pm, edited 11 times in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:41 am

Continued from above

Americans cannot continue to reward the health care industry and their rich executives when they routinely commit the 7 deadly sins:
(1) Extravagance (Latin, luxuria) is unrestrained excess. Extravagant behaviour includes the frequent purchase of luxury goods, and forms of debauchery. Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
Consider this report offered by the Daily Kos
"While the American people find themselves priced out of health insurance and healthcare, the CEOs of America's largest for-profit health insurers are making record salaries. And perks . . .like private corporate aircraft, country club memberships, security services (wonder why they need this?) and a lifestyle most Americans can only dream about." http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... m-for-this.

From the Washington Post: Karen Ignagni, CEO America's Health Insurance Plans (AHIP). Ignagni's total compensation, according to AHIP's most recent filing from 2007, was $1.58 million, which includes $700,000 in base salary, $370,000 in deferred compensation and a bonus. Ignagni won't say how many hours a week she works. The number's so high it's embarrassing, she said.

Source: The Daily Kos, May 26, 2009, http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... m-for-this
The following information was compiled by the Daily Kos from a 2008 salary report issued by FierceHealthCare (http://www.fiercehealthcare.com/special ... tions-2008). It shows that the deadly sin of luxury is abundant in the lifestyles of health care industry CEOS. The same CEOs spending hundreds of millions to prevent your right to universal public health care.
Ron Williams - Aetna. Total Compensation: $24,300,112 Details: Williams earned $24,300,112 in total compensation for 2008, with more than half of that ($13,537,365) coming from option awards. He also received an additional $6,456,630 in stock awards to go along with his base salary of $1,091,764. Personal use of a corporate aircraft and vehicle, as well as financial planning and 401(k) company matches added up to $101,487 for Williams.

H. Edward Hanway - CIGNA. Total Compensation: $12,236,740. Details: Hanway took a significant pay cut from 2007 to 2008, due mainly to a drop off of more than $11 million in his non-equity incentive plan compensation. Still, his base salary of $1,142,885 surpasses that of Aetna's Williams, and is supplemented by just over $3.6 million in option awards, and just over $820,000 in non-qualified deferred compensation earnings. Also, nearly $21,800 in "other compensation" included the use of a company car with a driver, in-office meals, and emergency assistance services relating to medical exams.

Angela Braly - WellPoint. Total Compensation: $9,844,212 Details: Braly, like Williams, earned more money in 2008 ($9,844,212) than in 2007 (9,094,271), increasing her option rewards by nearly $1.5 million, and also receiving a $200,000-plus bump in base salary, from $922,269 to $1,135,538. Braly's stock awards dropped from $2,160,159 to $1,750,015 because, according to the SEC, "performance-based restricted stock units awarded in 2008 were cancelled because our ROE target for 2008 was not met." Braly's "other compensation" comprised use of a private jet for her and her family on business trips, just under $10,000 for legal services relating to her employment agreement and cash credits.

Dale Wolf - Coventry Health Care. Total Compensation: $9,047,469 Details: Wolf is the only CEO on this list who is no longer employed with his associated health plan; he retired from his position on Jan. 30 of this year after serving in that role since Jan. 1, 2005, and was replaced by former CEO Allen Wise. Wolf, whose total compensation dipped quite a bit from 2007 ($14,869,823) to 2008 ($9,047,469), was pleased with the direction the company was headed in at the time of his departure. "I am proud of what a talented group of people have accomplished over the past 13 years of my association with the company," Wolf said, "and I am confident that the fundamentals which are in place today will carry the company forward to continued success." Wolf carried a base salary of $965,000 in 2008, and earned just over $1.9 million in stock awards. His "other compensation," which amounted to $486,447, included transportation on the company's airplane, a company match retirement savings plan and a company match 401(k) plan.

Michael Neidorff - Centene. Total Compensation: $8,774,483 Details: Neidorff, who's base salary remained at $1 million, received increases in both his bonus ($1.25 million, up from $1 million) and his stock awards ($4.7 million, from $3.98 million) in 2008. According to the SEC, "Neidorff's agreement was amended twice in the past twelve months; (1) to eliminate the non-compete and non-solicitation requirements if there was a ‘hostile change in control' as defined in his agreement and (2) to add language to the agreement to make it compliant with Internal Revenue Section 409A." Neidorff's "other compensation" of just over $418,000 comprised of use of the company airplane "for all travel," life insurance benefits, security services, and tax preparation services, among other things.

James Carlson - AMERIGROUP. Total Compensation: $5,292,546. Details: Despite a lawsuit regarding Medicaid fraud that cost the Illinois plan $225 million, Carlson himself earned roughly $2 million more than he did in 2007. All aspects of his compensation increased in 2008, from his base salary (up from $608,000 to just over $761,000) to his non-equity incentive plan compensation (up to about $2.8 million from $1.98 million a year ago). Carlson's bonus also grew quite a bit, going from $225,000 in 2007 to $520,312 in 2008; much of that amount was based on long term incentive program goals being met. Carlson's "other compensation," which nearly tripled (going from about $7,000 to just over $20,000), included his employer 401(k) contribution, life insurance premiums, an executive health screening, flight services and a medical insurance stipend.

Michael McCallister - Humana. Total Compensation: $4,764,309 Details: Despite its pick ups of two smaller health plans (OSF Health Plans of Peoria, IL and Cos/Cariten Healthcare of Knoxville, TN), Humana's McCallister earned roughly $5.5 million less in 2008 than in 2007. While his base salary ($1,017,308), option awards ($3,078,897) and "other compensation" ($668,104) all increased, his non-equity incentive plan compensation and his nonqualified deferred compensation earnings totaled zero dollars. The latter represents a discontinuation of the Officers' Target Retirement Plan, according to the SEC. McCallister's "other compensation" included personal use of the company aircraft for him, and sometimes his family; company contributions to the Supplemental Executive Retirement & Savings Plan and the Humana Retirement & Savings Plan; a once-a-year physical, financial planning assistance, and more.

Jay Gellert - Health Net. Total Compensation: $4,425,355. Details: Gellert, whose company is considering selling off divisions in at least four states, earned nearly $740,000 in additional compensation for 2008. His overall base salary increased to a little more than $1.2 million from about $1.18 million in 2007, and his stock awards also rose (from about $1.4 million to more than $1.8 million). Gellert's "other compensation," which totaled $131,526, included, but were not limited to, a $53,000 housing allowance, a corporate car and tax reimbursements of nearly $41,000.

Richard Barasch - Universal American. Total Compensation: $3,503,702. Details: After taking a pay cut from 2006 to 2007, Barasch more than doubled his total compensation for 2008, jumping up from $1,564,293 in 2007. Barasch's base salary jumped up to $857,851 from $798,340 in 2007; his stock and option awards also increased, as did his "other compensation," which reflected a car allowance, relocation benefits and a matching contribution to his 401(k). Also of note for Barasch was the fact that his non-equity incentive plan compensation earnings totaled $1,195,147; in 2007, he did not receive any money in 2007 for such compensation, but took home $1.1 million in 2006.

Stephen Hemsley - UnitedHealth Group. Total Compensation: $3,241,042 Details: An $895 million class-action lawsuit over stock-option back dating aside, Hemsley still manages to make the cut for this list at No. 10. The UHG CEO's base salary was $1.3 million in 2008, to go along with a non-equity incentive plan compensation worth just over $1.8 million and "other compensation" amounting to slightly more than $119,000. Hemsley's other compensation was a combination of the company matching his contributions under the 401(k) plan and the company matching contributions under his executive savings plan. According to the SEC, "in May 2006, the amount of Hemsley's supplemental retirement benefit was frozen based on his current age and average base salary and converted into a lump sum of $10,703,229." Because of this, "there was no increase in the benefit payable to Mr. Hemsley under his supplemental retirement benefit" in 2008.
Source: The Daily Kos, May 26, 2009, http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/ ... m-for-this
Last edited by roxybeast on August 8th, 2009, 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:43 am

Continued from above
(2) Gluttony - Derived from the Latin gluttire, meaning to gulp down or swallow, gluttony (Latin, gula) is the over-indulgence and over-consumption of anything to the point of waste. In the Christian religions, it is considered a sin because of the excessive desire for food, or its withholding from the needy. Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
The excessive corporate profits and mind-boggling CEO salaries show that the deadly sin of gluttony is indeed a driving force behind health industry opposition to universal care, single payor, or a meaningful public option. Withholding necessary care from the needy, denying coverage, denying valid claims, spending billions to prevent a viable public health care option, all so they can line their own pockets - textbook gluttony.
Last edited by roxybeast on August 8th, 2009, 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:49 am

Continued from above
(3) Greed (Latin, avaritia), also known as avarice or covetousness, is, like lust and gluttony, a sin of excess. However, greed (as seen by the church) is applied to the acquisition of wealth in particular. Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
In addition to outlandish salaries provided to their CEOs as discussed above, the profits of health care corporations themselves have risen over 400% since 2000. Over 400%!!! Consider this HCAN report:
Profits at 10 of the country’s largest publicly traded health insurance companies rose 428 percent from 2000 to 2007, while consumers paid more for less coverage. One of the major reasons, according to a new study, is the growing lack of competition in the private health insurance industry that has led to near monopoly conditions in many markets. According to the recently released HCAN report, “Premiums Soaring in Consolidated Health Insurance Market“:
In the past 13 years, more than 400 corporate mergers have involved health insurers, and a small number of companies now dominate local markets but haven’t delivered on promises of increased efficiency. According to the American Medical Association, 94 percent of insurance markets in the United States are now highly concentrated, and insurers are thriving in the anti-competitive marketplace, raking in enormous profits and paying out huge CEO salaries. These mergers and consolidations have created a marketplace where a small number of larger companies use their power to raise premiums—an average of 87 percent over the past six years—restrict and reduce benefit packages and control and cut provider payments. Sen. Schumer last week co-sponsored a Senate resolution urging the creation of a public health plan option and says a public health plan “is critical to ensure the greatest amount of choice possible for consumers. We believe that it is fully possible to create a public health insurance plan that delivers all the benefits of increased competition without relying on unfair, built-in advantages. If a level playing field exists, then private insurers will have to compete based on quality of care and pricing, instead of just competing for the healthiest consumers."
Source: http://blog.aflcio.org/2009/05/27/healt ... -monopoly/
The deadly sins of greed, gluttony and extravagence are not limited to the health insurance companies. Drug companies are equally guilty. Consider this report, based on those companies own SEC filings:
A new report by the consumer health organization Families USA refutes the pharmaceutical industry's claim that high and increasing drug prices are needed to sustain research and development. The report documents that drug companies are spending more than twice as much on marketing, advertising, and administration than they do on research and development; that drug company profits, which are higher than all other industries, exceed research and development expenditures; and that drug companies provide lavish compensation packages for their top executives.

The report comes on the heels of a recent Families USA analysis that found prices rose more than twice the rate of inflation last year for the 50 most-prescribed drugs to seniors.

Among the nine pharmaceutical companies examined in the report - Merck, Pfizer, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Pharmacia, Abbott Laboratories, American Home Products, Eli Lilly, Schering-Plough, and Allergan - all but one (Eli Lilly) spent more than twice as much on marketing, advertising, and administration than they did on research and development, and Lilly spent more than one and one-half times as much. Six out of the nine companies made more money in net profits than they spent on research and development last year. [see chart 1.]

The report also documents profligate spending on compensation packages for top pharmaceutical executives. The executive with the highest compensation package in the year 2000, exclusive of unexercised stock options, was William C. Steere, Jr., Pfizer's Chairman, who made $40.2 million. The executive with the highest amount of unexercised stock options was C.A. Heimbold, Jr., Bristol-Myers Squibb's Chairman and CEO, who held $227.9 million in unexercised stock options. [see charts 2 and 3.]

"Pharmaceutical companies charging skyrocketing drug prices like to sugar coat the pain by saying those prices are needed for research and development," said Ron Pollack, Families USA's executive director. "The truth is high prices are much more associated with record-breaking profits and enormous compensation for top drug company executives."

Pollack added, "Drug companies' commitments to research and development are dwarfed by those companies' expenditures for marketing, advertising, and administration."

In 2000, the pharmaceutical industry was, once again, the most profitable U.S. industry, and profit margins in the industry were nearly four times the average of Fortune 500 companies. According to the Families USA report, three companies - Merck, Bristol-Myers Squibb, and Abbott Laboratories - received twice as much in net profits than they spent on research and development. Three other companies - Eli Lilly, Schering-Plough, and Allergan - received more money in net profits than they spent on research and development.

"The pharmaceutical industry's repetitious cry that research and development would be curtailed if drug prices are moderated is extraordinarily misleading," said Pollack. "If meaningful steps are taken to ameliorate fast-growing drug prices, it is corporate profits, expenditures on marketing, and high executive compensation that are more likely to be affected, not research and development."

The Families USA report is based exclusively on the annual reports submitted by the pharmaceutical companies to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). Since Families USA periodically reports about price changes for the 50 drugs most frequently prescribed for seniors, the report focused on the SEC filings for fiscal year 2000 of the nine pharmaceutical companies that market, or are the parent corporations of the companies that market, these 50 drugs. Mylan Laboratories, a much smaller company than the nine companies analyzed, could not be examined since it had not filed its annual proxy statement with the SEC at the time the report went to press.

Source: http://www.actupny.org/reports/drugcosts.html

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:50 am

Continued from above
(4) Acedia (Latin, acedia) (from Greek ______ = neglect to take care of something - and in this case neglect to do whatever one should do in order to be saved) is apathetic listlessness. Acedia has been over the years changed to Sloth, in modern vernacular, which is views laziness and indifference as the sin at the heart of the matter. Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
At the heart of the deadly sin of Acedia or Sloth is "neglect to take care of something" and "indifference." Denial of insurance coverage horror stories are abundant. In fact, they are far too common in our society.

In fact, such horror stories are so prevalent that President Obama began his own website to collect them: http://stories.barackobama.com/healthcare

Consider these other horror stories from news reports and consumers:

Huffington-Post:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/06/2 ... 22300.html

NYTimes: http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/ ... /?comments

Truthout.org: http://www.truthout.org/article/paul-kr ... or-stories

NYTimes: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/opini ... ugman.html

Daily KOS: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2009/7/16 ... nialDenial

Customer Complaints about Blue Cross: http://www.sickofbluecross.com/consumer_stories/

Still not convinced that the big insurance and drug companies are indifferent toward and neglect to take care of patients, and are driven entirely by their concern for excessive profits, watch Michael Moore's documentary SICKO. If you can watch this movie and still not be angry at these mega corporations and super wealthy executives for literally killing folks to preserve their profits, you might officially be heartless. Watch Michael Moore's Movie "SICKO" for free on-line, here's the link:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... Aw&q=sicko
Last edited by roxybeast on August 8th, 2009, 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:51 am

Continued from above
(5) Wrath (Latin, ira), also known as anger or "rage", may be described as inordinate and uncontrolled feelings of hatred and anger. These feelings can manifest as vehement denial of the truth, both to others and in the form of self-denial, impatience with the procedure of law, and the desire to seek revenge outside of the workings of the justice system (such as engaging in vigilantism) and generally wishing to do evil or harm to others. Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
Consumers are angry. Health care executives and their lobbyists are angry. The politicians on both sides are angry.

Recently it was uncovered that health insurance lobbyists devised a campaign to send supporters to town hall meetings with congressional representatives to feign anger and disrupt the meetings. Consider the right-wing lobbyists memo instructing their followers how to disrupt the meetings to make it falsely appear that the majority of the public is opposed to meaningful health care reform or a public option: http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/31/rec ... ment-memo/

These mobs carry signs and shout obscenities comparing proponents of health care reform to Nazi's, the devil, and worse ... all because these supporters of reform want to insure that even these protesters have adequate medical coverage. Makes you wonder what evil really is? And I was thinking that sacrificing patients to generate profits might be evil.

The health insurance industry's anger can be seen in the obscene amounts of money it is pouring into lobbying to defeat true reform and a meaningful public option, as discussed in this article by Bill Moyers:
http://www.alternet.org/healthwellness/ ... org/moyers

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:52 am

Continued from above
(6) Envy (Latin, invidia) may also, like greed, be characterized by an insatiable desire. Dante defined this as "love of one's own good perverted to a desire to deprive other men of theirs." Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
Hmmm. Obscene salaries, riches, luxuries, dividends, profits while denying care to those truly in need. Providing insurance to themselves while denying it to 46 million Americans who can't afford their prices. Lining their pockets and those of the congressmen they buy. Protecting their wealth at the expense of American families. Envy.

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 2:55 am

Continued from above
(7) Pride (Latin, superbia), or hubris, is considered the original and most serious of the seven deadly sins, and indeed the ultimate source from which the others arise. It is identified as a desire to be more important or attractive than others, failing to acknowledge the good work of others, and excessive love of self (especially holding self out of proper position toward God). Dante's definition was "love of self perverted to hatred and contempt for one's neighbor." Source: Wikipedia: Seven Deadly Sins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins
A desire to be more important than others, excessive love of self, hatred and contempt for one's neighbors. That sort of sums it up.

It's time that Americans stand up to these greedy monied interests, vote out Congressional representatives who they have paid off to support them, and enact meaningful reform and a public insurance option which provides coverage to American families which meet the admirable goals set forth by President Obama. Before they kill us.

END OF ORIGINAL ARTICLE
"Health Care Reform & the Seven Deadly Sins"
©2009 Beth Isbell

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 8th, 2009, 4:06 am

Watch Michael Moore's Movie "SICKO" for free on-line, here's the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... Aw&q=sicko
SiCKO: There are nearly 50 million Americans without health insurance.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention actually reported that 54.5 million people were uninsured for at least part of the year. Health Insurance Coverage: Early Release of Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey, 2006. Centers for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhis/early ... 200706.pdf
The amount of uninsured is rising every year, as premiums continue to skyrocket and wages stagnate. From 2004 to 2005 the number of uninsured rose 1.3 million, and rose up nearly 6 million from 2001-2005. Leighton Ku, "Census Revises Estimates Of The Number Of Uninsured People," Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, April 5, 2007 http://www.cbpp.org/4-5-07health.htm. With 44.8 uninsured in 2005, in 2007 the number will be much higher. Professors Todd Gilmer and Richard Kronick, in "It's The Premiums, Stupid: Projections Of The Uninsured Through 2013," Health Affairs, 10.1377/hlthaff.w5.143, "project that the number of non-elderly uninsured Americans will grow from forty-five million in 2003 to fifty-six million by 2013." According to these authors, by now the number of non-elderly uninsured by this date clearly would be nearly 50 million.

SiCKO: 18,000 Americans will die this year simply because they're uninsured.

According to the Institute of Medicine, "lack of health insurance causes roughly 18,000 unnecessary deaths every year in the United States. Although America leads the world in spending on health care, it is the only wealthy, industrialized nation that does not ensure that all citizens have coverage." Insuring America's Health: Principles and Recommendations, Institute of Medicine, January 2004.
http://www.iom.edu/?id=19175

SiCKO: Richard Nixon and John Ehrlichman are heard discussing the concept of a health maintenance organization in Oval Office Recordings.

On February 17, 1971, Richard Nixon met with John Ehrlichman to discuss the Vice President's position on health maintenance organizations, as heard in the film. The Miller Center of Public Affairs has this audio recording (conversation number 450-23. "Richard Nixon - Oval Office Recordings,"
http://millercenter.virginia.edu/scripp ... recordings
/nixon/oval?PHPSESSID=b813e56b3017d097cd176720bc10fc74
The next day, Nixon called for a "new national health strategy" that had four points for expanding the proliferation of health maintenance organizations, or HMOs. "Special Message to the Congress Proposing a National Health Strategy," February 18th, 1971, http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=3311
The term "health maintenance organization" was coined by Nixon advisor Paul Ellwood. Patricia Bauman, "The Formulation and Evolution of the Health Maintenance Organization Policy, 1970-1973, Social Science & Medicine, vol. 10. 1976. After Congress passed Nixon's HMO Act in 1973, HMOs in America increased nine-fold in just ten years. N. R. Kleinfield, "The King of the HMO Mountain," New York Times, July 31, 1983.

SiCKO: The American Medical Association distributed a record featuring Ronald Reagan discussing the evils of socialized medicine.

Ronald Reagan's recording was widely available in the 1960s, and was a part of the American Medical Association's "Operation Coffee Cup," a coordinated rebuttal to Democrats' push for Medicare. Max Skidmore, "Ronald Reagan and Operation Coffee Cup: A Hidden Episode in American Political History," Journal of American Culture, vol. 12. 1989.

SiCKO: $100 million spent to defeat Hillary's health care plan.

"Even before debate began in Congress, a powerful coalition had been cobbled together to fight Clintoncare, as opponents labeled it - congressional Republicans, the insurance industry, the pharmaceutical industry, the National Federation of Independent Businesses, the Business Roundtable, the Christian Coalition, the conservative radio talk show network. Those groups spent between $100 million and $ 300 million to defeat it. And the battle was fought like a presidential campaign - with a TV advertising campaign, a network of field operatives and public relations experts to lobby members of Congress back in their districts." Rob Christensen, "Who killed health care reform? Answer: Everyone," News & Observer, June 19, 1996.
"In 1993-94, the Health Insurance Association of America, a trade group, spent about $15 million on advertising to defeat Clinton's proposed overhaul of the nation's health care system." John MacDonald, "Proponents, Opponents Join Battle Over Drug Price Limits," Hartford Courant, June 21, 2000.
"'We spent $1.4 million to fight President Clinton's plan,' [Mike Russell of the Christian Coalition] says." Harold Cox, "Business will spearhead Health Reform II ; Old enemies of Clinton's plan in lead," Washington Times, December 27, 1994.
"A study by Citizen Action, a consumer group, reports that doctors, hospitals, insurance companies and other providers of medical services made campaign contributions of $ 79 million during the 1993-1994 election cycle. The insurance industry passed out $16 million. The American Medical Association, which objects to cost-control measures, contributed $ 3 million." Froma Harrop, "The big lie about health reform," Rocky Mountain News, August 20, 1995.
"According to [Citizens for a Sound Economy] spokesman Brent Bahler, the group has not bought any airtime for commercials but has 'tentative plans' for a grassroots advocacy effort that would include an advertising component. Last year, Bahler said, the CSE spent more than $2 million on print, radio and television advertising to defeat Clinton's health care reform plan." James A. Barnes, "RNC Turns To TV Ads On Budget," National Journal, 5.16.95.

SiCKO: The United States is ranked #37 as a health system by the World Health Organization.

"The U. S. health system spends a higher portion of its gross domestic product than any other country but ranks 37 out of 191 countries according to its performance, the report finds." "World Health Organization Assesses The World's Health Systems," Press Release, WHO/44, June 21, 2000. http://www.who.int/inf-pr-2000/en/pr2000-44.html

SiCKO: Health industry companies accused of wrongdoing in Sicko.

Aetna: "Aetna Inc. … settled with the plaintiffs, which include the medical associations of California and Texas. Aetna agreed to pay the plaintiffs $120 million." Milt Freudenheim, "Class-Action Status Is Upheld for Doctors Suing Insurers," New York Times, September 2, 2004. See also, Susan Beck, "HMO Postmortem," American Lawyer, October 10, 2003. Settlement Agreement, http://www.aetna.com/provider/agreement ... cians.html
Blue Cross/Blue Shield: "Sixty-seven Blue Cross/Blue Shield companies across the nation have paid the United States a total of $117 million to settle government claims that Medicare made primary payments for health care services that should have been paid by the Blue Cross/Blue Shield private insurance companies, the Department of Justice announced today." "Blue Cross/Blue Shield Companies Settle Medicare Claims, Pay United States $117 Million, Agree To Share Information," Department of Justice News Release, October 25, 1995.
http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/Pre_96/Octo ... 1.txt.html
Cigna: "Cigna Corporation, [has] settled with the plaintiffs, which include the medical associations of California and Texas. … Cigna agreed to pay $85 million." Milt Freudenheim, "Class-Action Status Is Upheld for Doctors Suing Insurers," New York Times, September 2, 2004.
"HCA Inc. (formerly known as Columbia/HCA and HCA - The Healthcare Company) has agreed to pay the United States $631 million in civil penalties and damages arising from false claims the government alleged it submitted to Medicare and other federal health programs, the Justice Department announced today. … Previously, on December 14, 2000, HCA subsidiaries pled guilty to substantial criminal conduct and paid more than $840 million in criminal fines, civil restitution and penalties. Combined with today's separate administrative settlement with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), under which HCA will pay an additional $250 million to resolve overpayment claims arising from certain of its cost reporting practices, the government will have recovered $1.7 billion from HCA, by far the largest recovery ever reached by the government in a health care fraud investigation." "Largest Health Care Fraud Case In U.S. History Settled; HCA Investigation Nets Record Total Of $1.7 Billion," Department of Justice News Release, June 26, 2003.
http://www.usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2003/June/03_civ_386.htm

SiCKO: Executive Compensation

Michael B McAllister earned $3.33 million in compensation as CEO of Humana. "Forbes 2006 Executive Pay list," April 20, 2006.
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2006/12/AG0Q.html.
John W Rowe earned $22.2 million in compensation as CEO of Aetna. Rowe has since left Aetna. "Forbes 2004 Executive Pay list," April 21, 2005.
http://www.forbes.com/static/execpay200 ... sListId=12
&passYear=2005&passListType=Person&uniqueId=S5NI&datatype=Person
Bill McGuire has stock options worth $1.6 billion at the end of 2005, as CEO of UnitedHealth Group. Robert Simison, "SEC Investigates UnitedHealth Over Stock-Options Practices," Bloomberg News, December 27, 2006; Michael Regan, "Business 2006: Who Won, Who Lost," Associated Press,December 26, 2006.
SiCKO: There are four times as many health care lobbyists as there are members of Congress.

According to the Center for Responsive Politics (www.opensecrets.org), in 2005 there were 2,084 health care lobbyists registered with the federal government. With 535 members of Congress, that's 3.895 lobbyists per member.

SiCKO: Hillary Clinton became the second largest recipient in the Senate of health care industry contributions.

"As she runs for re-election to the Senate from New York this year and lays the groundwork for a possible presidential bid in 2008, Mrs. Clinton is receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from doctors, hospitals, drug manufacturers and insurers. Nationwide, she is the No. 2 recipient of donations from the industry, trailing only Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania, a member of the Republican leadership." Raymond Hernandez and Robert Pear, "Once an Enemy, Health Industry Warms to Clinton," New York Times, July 12, 2006.

SiCKO: Drug industry money to members of Congress, and the president, who led the effort to pass the Medicare Part D prescription drug plan.

"The health industry gave $14 million total to the eleven elected officials largely credited with negotiating the bill. Pharmaceutical company PACs, employees, and their families gave more than $3 million in campaign contributions to (those) eleven elected officials." Buying A Law: Big Pharma's Big Money and the Bush Medicare Plan, Campaign Money Watch, January 2004.
http://www.ourfuture.org/docUploads/don ... -15-04.pdf
SiCKO: The Medicare Part D plan will hand over $800 billion of our tax dollars to the drug and health insurance industry.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, for the ten-year period, 2006 through 2016, the projected spending is $848 billion. "The Budget and Economic Outlook: Fiscal Years 2008 to 2017," Congressional Budget Office, January 2007. http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/77xx/doc7731 ... utlook.pdf

SiCKO: The elderly could end up paying more for their prescription drugs than they did before under Part D - and a majority of senior citizens could still pay over $2000 a year.

"For all patients, Medicare covers 75 percent of the first $2,250 worth of drugs. But after that, coverage drops to zero - and doesn't resume until the patient hits $5,100 in expenses. Then Medicare kicks in again, paying 95 percent of costs. But it's this gap - of almost $3,000 - that many sick and disabled seniors call unaffordable." Medicare's 'Donut Hole,' CBS News, July 26, 2006.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/07/ ... 9288.shtml
"Nearly 7 million seniors and individuals with disabilities who purchased stand-alone prescription drug coverage are now at risk of falling into the 'doughnut hole.' According to a report released today by Senior Democrats on the House Ways and Means Committee… nearly 88 percent of new drug plan enrollees, roughly 7 million individuals, are at risk of losing coverage for their medications while they continue to pay monthly premiums to their insurers. The report further details how few individuals have enrolled in plans without doughnut holes, presumably because of the prohibitive cost of such plans." "88% Of New Medicare Drug Program Enrollees At Risk Of Falling Into The 'Doughnut Hole,'" Joint News Release From Representative Charles B. Rangel, Ranking Democrat, Committee On Ways And Means, Representative Pete Stark, Ranking Democrat, Subcommittee On Health, Committee On Ways And Means, Representative Sander M. Levin, Ranking Democrat, Subcommittee On Social Security, Committee On Ways And Means, September 21, 2006.
http://www.house.gov/list/press/wm31_de ... /060921_88
_of_new_medicare_drug_program_enrollees_at_risk_of_falling
_into_the_doughnut_hole.html
"Over the past year, Part D drug prices have increased several times faster than the rate of inflation. Families USA analyzed the prices for 15 of the drugs most frequently prescribed to seniors. We examined prices for each of the plans offered by the largest Part D insurers, which together cover about two-thirds of all Part D beneficiaries. We then compared the lowest available Part D price for each drug in April 2006 with the lowest available price for the same drug in April 2007. The lowest price for every one of the top 15 drugs prescribed to seniors increased, and the median increase was 9.2 percent." Medicare Part D Prices Are Climbing Quickly, FamiliesUSA, April 2007.
http://www.familiesusa.org/assets/pdfs/ ... prices.PDF

SiCKO: Fourteen Congressional aides went to work for the industry; Billy Tauzin left Congress to become CEO of PhRMA for a $2 million annual salary.

See, e.g., The Medicare Drug War: An Army of Nearly 1,000 Lobbyists Pushes a Medicare Law that Puts Drug Company and HMO Profits Ahead of Patients and Taxpayers, Public Citizen Congress Watch, June 2004,
http://www.citizen.org/documents/Medica ... t_2004.pdf
"Retiring Rep. Billy Tauzin, R-La., who stepped down earlier this year as chairman of the House committee that regulates the pharmaceutical industry, will become the new president and CEO of the drug industry's top lobbying group…Public Citizen, a non-profit consumer advocacy group, called Tauzin's hiring 'yet another example of how public service is leading to private riches.' Tauzin gets a pay package reportedly worth at least $2 million a year, making him one of the highest-paid lobbyists in Washington." "Tauzin switches sides from drug industry overseer to lobbyist," USA Today, December 15, 2004.. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... s/2004-12-
15-drugs-usat_x.htm

SiCKO: Canadians live three years longer than we do.

The 2006 United Nations Human Development Report's human development index states the life expectancy in the United States is 77.5, and the life expectancy in Canada is 80.2. Human Development Report 2006, United Nations Development Programme, 2006 at 283.
http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/pdfs/report ... mplete.pdf.

SiCKO: Tommy Douglas, who pioneered Canada's health care system, was heralded as the nation's singular most important person.

"In November 2004, Canadians voted Tommy Douglas the Greatest Canadian of all time following a nationwide contest. Over 1.2 million votes were cast in a frenzy of voting that took place over six weeks as each of 10 advocates made their case for the Top 10 nominees in special feature programs on CBC Television… . From his first foray into public office politics in 1934 to his post-retirement years in the 1970s, Canada's 'father of Medicare' stayed true to his socialist beliefs -- often at the cost of his own political fortune -- and earned himself the respect of millions of Canadians in the process." "The Greatest Canadian," CBC, 2004. http://www.cbc.ca/greatest

SiCKO: Canadian "wait times" not nearly as long as some try to allege.

According to Statistics Canada, the official government statistical agency, "In 2005, the median waiting time was about 4 weeks for specialist visits, 4 weeks for non-emergency surgery, and 3 weeks for diagnostic tests. Nationally, median waiting times remained stable between 2003 and 2005 - but there were some differences at the provincial level for selected specialized services.… 70 to 80 percent of Canadians find their waiting times acceptable" "Access to health care services in Canada, Waiting times for specialized services (January to December 2005)," Statistics Canada, http://www.statcan.ca/english/freepub/8 ... IE/82-575-
XIE2006002.htm
A recent study of emergency care in Ontario found that overall, "50% of patients triaged as CTAS I [most acute] were seen by a physician within 6 minutes and 86% were seen within 30 minutes of arriving at the [Emergency Department]. In contrast, the 50% of patients triaged as CTAS IV or V who were seen most quickly waited an hour or less, while 1 in 10 waited three hours or more. Understanding Emergency Department Wait Times: How Long Do People Spend in Emergency Departments in Ontario? Canadian Institute for Health Information, January 2007.
http://www.cihi.ca/cihiweb/dispPage.jsp?cw_page=reports_
wait_times_bulletins_e
"Gerard Anderson, a Johns Hopkins health policy professor who has spent his career examining the world's healthcare, said there are delays, but not as many as conservatives state. In Canada, the United Kingdom and France, 'three percent of hospital discharges had delays in treatment,' Anderson told The Miami Herald. 'That's a relatively small number, and they're all elective surgeries, such as hip and knee replacement.' John Dorschner, "'Sicko' film is set to spark debate; Reformers are gearing up for 'Sicko,' the first major movie to examine America's often maligned healthcare system," Miami Herald, June 29, 2007.

SiCKO: Drugs in England only cost $10.

For much of 2006, the standard charge for a prescription was £6.65. "The cost of an NHS prescription in England is to rise by 15p to £6.65 from the start of April." "Prescription charge to rise 15p," BBC News, March 13 2006.
From April 1 2007 to present, the charge is £6.85. "There are many unacceptable inequities and anomalies in the present system. Although around four out of five prescriptions are exempt (see below for list of exempt categories), the price of a prescription (£6.85 from 1 April 2007) often hits those who cannot afford such charges. There are many people with chronic conditions who are not exempt and those on low incomes find it very difficult to pay. This causes a disproportionate levy on a limited section of the population." British Medical Association, "Funding - Prescription Changes," March 2007. http://www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/Fu ... ionCharges

SiCKO: After losing 42,000 civilians in eight months during a vicious bombing campaign during World War II, Britain pulled together and instituted a National Health Insurance program in 1948.

"The Blitz was September 7, 1940 through May 11 1941. "42,000 civilians are estimated to have died during the campaign, with over 50,000 injured, and around 130,000 houses destroyed." See, "Remembering the Blitz,"
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/archiv ... intro.html; "Living With War; Air Raids," The Discovery Channel,
http://www.discoverychannel.co.uk/ww2_h ... iving_with
_war/index.shtml
"The NHS was set up in 1948 and is now the largest organisation in Europe. It is recognised as one of the best health services in the world by the World Health Organisation but there need to be improvements to cope with the demands of the 21st century." "About the NHS," NHA website,
http://www.nhs.uk/Aboutnhs/howthenhsworks/Pages/
HowtheNHSworks.aspx

SiCKO: In a study of older Americans and Brits, the Brits had less of almost every major disease. Even the poorest Brit can expect to live longer than the richest American.

"The US population in late middle age is less healthy than the equivalent British population for diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, myocardial infarction, stroke, lung disease, and cancer. Within each country, there exists a pronounced negative socioeconomic status (SES) gradient with self-reported disease so that health disparities are largest at the bottom of the education or income variants of the SES hierarchy. This conclusion is generally robust to control for a standard set of behavioral risk factors, including smoking, overweight, obesity, and alcohol drinking, which explain very little of these health differences… Level differences between countries are sufficiently large that individuals in the top of the education and income strata in the United States have comparable rates of diabetes and heart disease as those in the bottom of the income and education strata in England." (See also Table 1 - for example, prevalence of diabetes among high-income Americans is 8.2 per thousand, while it's 7.3 among low-income Brits.) Banks, Marmot et al., "Disease and Disadvantage in the United States and in England," Journal of the American Medical Association, 2006;295:2037-2045.

SiCKO: A baby born in El Salvador has a better chance of surviving than a baby born in Detroit.

According to the United Nations Statistics Division, Population and Vital Statistics Report, the rate of infant deaths per thousand in El Salvador is 10.5. "Table 3, Live births, deaths, and infant deaths, latest available year, June 15, 2007." http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/ ... rATab3.pdf
According to the Michigan Department of Community Health, the rate of infant deaths for Detroit is 15.9 per thousand. "Number of Infant Deaths, Live Births and Infant Death Rates for Selected Cities of Residence, 2005 and 2001 - 2005 Average," Michigan Department of Community Health Web Site, http://www.mdch.state.mi.us/pha/osr/InDxMain/Tab4.asp.

SiCKO: Around 65 percent of young Americans can't find Britain on a map.

"About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent." "Survey Reveals Geographic Illiteracy," National Geographic Today, November 20, 2002. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... 126_021120_
TVGeoRoperSurvey.html.

SiCKO: Companies that no longer offer pensions to new employees.

These can be found on a list prepared by the Center for Retirement Research at Boston College. Pension Change Fact Sheets, http://www.bc.edu/centers/crr/PFFS.shtml In addition, the Pension Rights Center has also compiled a near-comprehensive list. Companies That Have Changed Their Defined Benefit Pension Plans, http://www.pensionrights.org/pubs/facts ... _list.html

SiCKO: Like Canadians and Brits, the French live longer than we do.

The 2006 United Nations Human Development Report's human development index states the life expectancy in the United States is 77.5, the United Kingdom is 78.5, France is 79.6, and Canada is 80.2. Human Development Report 2006, United Nations Development Programme, 2006 at 283.
http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/pdfs/report ... mplete.pdf.
SiCKO: The productivity rate per hour in France is higher than in America.

According to the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, France has a higher labor productivity (GDP per hour worked) than the United States. "OECD in Figures 2005, 2005/Supplement 1 at 84.
http://213.253.134.29/oecd/pdfs/browseit/0105061E.PDF
"Britain has yet to catch up with its rivals on productivity. Gordon Brown, the chancellor, has long wished to close Britain's productivity gap with other countries. It is proving a long haul. In 2004, output per hour worked was 19% higher in France, 15% higher in America and 5% higher in Germany than it was in Britain." "Poor show; International comparisons," The Economist, January 21, 2006.

SiCKO: French policy on childcare and household assistance for new parents.

According to the French-American Foundation comprehensive review of child care, "For non-working parents or parents who work part-time, haltes garderies (drop-in centers) provide part-time, occasional, and drop-in care. Haltes garderies are also subsidized (by municipality and the National Family Allowance Fund), with parents paying a portion of the costs based on a sliding scale (parents pay an average of $1 per hour). … For working parents [there are] licensed family day care providers (assistants maternelles), licensed babysitters at home (social security costs and salaries subsidized by the National Family Allowance Fund)." Peer, Shanny., "The French Early Education System," French-American Foundation, November 13, 2003.,
www.eoionline.org/ELC/Presentations/Peer4.pdf

SiCKO: There is a company in France, SOS Medecins, which will perform doctor house calls at any time.

SOS Medecins has an English website, viewable here: http://www.sosmedecins-france.fr/en/smf_en_present.htm.

SiCKO: The government initially refused to pay for the health care of 9/11 volunteers, because they were not on the government payroll. It remains difficult for the volunteers to access the $50 million fund that has been appropriated for their care.

The Department of Defense and Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Recovery From and Response to Terrorist Attacks on the United States Act provided a total of $175 million for workers compensation programs - $125 million to NYS Workers Compensation Review Board, and an additional $50 million to reimburse the NYS Uninsured Employers Fund, including for benefits paid to volunteers. However, there have been major delays in getting money to volunteers. See. e.g. "Statement of Robert E. Robertson, Director, Education, Workforce, and Income Security Issues," "September 11, Federal Assistance for New York Workers' Compensation Costs," United States Government Accountability Office, (GAO-04-1068T) September 8, 2004.
"With strong advocacy from New York's Congressional Delegation and labor leaders, a portion - about $52 million - of the $125 million in federal funding that had been allocated for administering workers compensation claims was re-allocated to provide some funding for medical treatment programs, but it will only meet a fraction of the need. Congress approved the legislation authorizing this funding in late December 2005." Devlin Barrett, "Congress Gives New Life to 9/11 Programs," Newsday, December 22, 2005.
A $52 million fund for volunteers was eventually established, but experts agree it's inadequate. The New York Times reported on September 6, 2006 that "Dr. John Howard, who was named the federal 9/11 health coordinator in February, has already said that the $52 million the federal government has appropriated for treatment late last year is inadequate. He said in an interview yesterday that the new study will very likely mean that the gap between funds and the need for them is going to grow." Anthony DePalma, "Illness Persisting in 9/11 Workers, Big Study Finds," New York Times, September 6, 2006.

SiCKO: American officials claim that detainees at Guantanamo Bay receive excellent health care.

"There is still acute care 24 hours a day, in which surgical procedures, everything, can be performed right there in the detainee camps, but as those wounds healed and as the detainees got further and further away from acute injuries, there has been increasing emphasis on preventative care. Indeed, the immunization rate there is higher than in the United States of America…. Things such as screening for cancer have taken place there. Colonoscopies--a procedure which, as we all know, is used commonly in this country to screen for colon cancer--are performed there on a routine basis. The health personnel-to-detainee ratio is 1 to 4--remarkably high. That is all health personnel who are there. And I guess, as I left this briefing and the opportunity to talk to the doctors and the nurses and the psychologists and the psychiatrists, I left with an impression that health care there is clearly better than they received at home and as good as many people receive in the United States of America." Sen. Bill Frist (R-TN), remarks on Guantanamo Bay, U.S. Senate, September 12, 2006.
"They go out, they do sick call on the blocks three times per week, care for them there, if they can… We have diabetes. We have high blood pressure, high cholesterol. Those detainees -- we've created a population health database so that we can track those detainees to make sure we're seeing them frequently, monitoring their labs and their overall health." Statement of Navy Commander Cary Ostergaard. "Hearing Of The House Armed Services Committee Subject: Detainee Operations At Guantanamo Bay," June 29, 2005.
"Detainees receive medical, dental, psychiatric, and optometric care at U.S. taxpayers' expense. In 2005, there were 35 teeth cleanings, 91 cavities filled, and 174 pairs of glasses issued." "Ten Facts About Guantanamo," Department of Defense, September 14, 2006. http://www.defenselink.mil/home/dodupda ... documents/
GuantanamoBay_Top10_ATTACHMENT2.doc.

SiCKO: Cuba is one of the most generous countries in providing doctors to the third world.

"WHO statistics show that the incidence of AIDS in Cuba is the lowest in this hemisphere, and there are now more than 800 Cuban doctors in Haiti alone working to control the AIDS epidemic. President Castro has offered an almost unlimited number to be sent to Africa, to be paid by the Cuban government with only a small stipend from the host countries." "President Carter's Cuba Trip Report By Jimmy Carter," May 21, 2002.
http://www.cartercenter.org/news/documents/doc528.html
"The close friendship between Cuban leader Fidel Castro and Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez has netted Venezuela a loan of 20,000 Cuban health workers -- including 14,000 doctors, according to the Venezuelan government -- who work in poor barrios and rural outposts for stipends seven times higher on average than their salaries at home. Castro has vowed to send Chavez as many as 10,000 additional medical workers by year's end." "As Cuba Loans Doctors Abroad, Some Patients Object at Home," Boston Globe, August 25, 2005.
"President Evo Morales on Friday heeded the wishes of six visiting U.S. senators by acknowledging the positive effects of American aid in his country - but added that Cuban doctors had had a greater impact on Bolivia than their U.S. counterparts… n a Friday interview with Bolivian radio network Fides, Morales said the assistance of Cuban leader Fidel Castro - who has sent Bolivia some 1,700 doctors and paramedics this year alone, setting up free hospitals and eye clinics throughout Bolivia -- outshines the United States' own medical aid." "Morales Says Cuban Doctors top U.S. Medical Aid," Boston Globe, December 29, 2006.

SiCKO: In the U.S., health care costs run nearly $7,000 per person. But in Cuba, they spend around $251 per person.

United States health spending per capita is $6,697 per person according to Catlin, A, C. Cowan, S. Heffler, et al, "National Health Spending in 2005." Health Affairs 26:1 (2006). As with the number of uninsured, the number continues to increase and is projected to be $7,092 per capita in 2006, $7,498 per capita in 2007 and reaching $12,782 by 2016, according the Department of Health and Human Services Center for Medicare and Medicaid Expenditures, National Health Expenditures Projections 2006-2016,
http://www.cms.hhs.gov/NationalHealthEx ... oj2006.pdf
The 2006 United Nations Human Development Report says Cuba spends $251 per capita on health care. (Human Development Report 2006, United Nations Development Programme, 2006. http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/statistics/ ... rs/52.html)

SiCKO: In Cuba, access to health care is universal.

"Cuban dissatisfaction with their personal lives does not mean they are negative about the revolutionary government's achievements in health care and education. A near unanimous 96 percent of respondents say that health care in Cuba is accessible to everyone. Gallup polls in other Latin American cities have found that on average only 42 percent believe health care is accessible." Gallup/ Consultoría Interdisciplinaria en Desarrollo, "Cubans Show Little Satisfaction with Opportunities and Individual Freedom Rare Independent Survey Finds Large Majorities Are Still Proud of Island's Health Care and Education," January 10, 2007.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/ ... americara/
300.php?nid=&id=&pnt=300&lb=brla

SiCKO: Cuba has a lower infant mortality rate and a longer average lifespan than the United States.

The 2006 United Nations Human Development Report's human development index states the life expectancy in the United States is 77.5, and is 77.6 in Cuba. Human Development Report 2006, United Nations Development Programme, 2006 at 283. http://hdr.undp.org/hdr2006/pdfs/report ... mplete.pdf.
According to the United Nations Statistics Division, Population and Vital Statistics Report, the rate of infant deaths per thousand in Cuba is 6.2 per thousand, and in the United States is 6.8. "Table 3, Live births, deaths, and infant deaths, latest available year, June 15, 2007."
http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/ ... rATab3.pdf

Source: MichaelMoore.com, SICKO Factual Back-up and sources cited therin, http://www.michaelmoore.com/sicko/checkup/

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 9th, 2009, 2:42 pm

"The Insurance Wiener Song" by Beth Isbell & Tara Feuerborn:

Oh, my health care has a first name ...
it's M-O-N-E-Y!
My health care has a second name ...
it's G-R-E-E-D!
And when I need for them to pay,
they deny my claim in every way ...
Cause insurers really have a way with
B-O-L-O-G-N-A!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 9th, 2009, 10:02 pm

it seems health care is an important topic for you and your government now!. I´ll try to read and understand what you wrote later!! :lol: :)
Here you have a discount of 3% of the basic of your salary for the Obras Sociales System (in my salary that represents 67,80 pesos per month). For not having to pay plus for medical attention you also have to pay some mutual-cuota related with the activity you do: it´s an ammount of 29 more pesos from my salary. For the people that not are registered workers (the term here is "trabajan en negro" :roll: ) is available the public system of dispensarios and hospitals (some admistrated by the city and others by the province govermnent).

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 10th, 2009, 2:08 pm

A friend forwarded me this interview ... it's interesting to hear this former right wing fringe movement leader talk about the un-American message and behavior of the right leaders & talk show hosts to create fear and hatred to de-rail health care & our first black President ... & I loved the Bart Simpson quote about the lunatic right wingers ... "the election broke their brain!"

Watch the interview here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E1SLJgATvM

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 10th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Here's but one example of the craziness ... right-wingers spending 1/2 a million dollars, with half of that being paid by the drug companies, to purchase negative advertising in one district against a blue dog democrat that voted in favor bill which includes the public option:
"The battle of Baron Hill is developing as Obama and national groups are mustering foot soldiers and advertising dollars. Advocates have bought $500,000 of television time in the Evansville, Ind., and Louisville, Ky., markets, with more than half coming from the drug industry and its allies, said Evan Tracey of the Campaign Media Analysis Group."
Source: Washington Post, 8/10/09 http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... newsletter

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » August 10th, 2009, 6:20 pm

My phone won't stop ringing

I keep getting calls with a message that health care providers don't want me to hear.

I think about those cold blooded bastards sitting in front of a panel telling a congressman that they must maximize profits. And rescission is something they have to use to protect the stock holders.

I can't get my head around the concept that a corporation is a person. I wonder if I will meet any corporations if there is an after life?

good copy Beth

roxybeast

Post by roxybeast » August 11th, 2009, 12:20 am

I agree with Dr. Weil's and Dr. Ornish's statements that we need to enact a new system that focuses on prevention of disease and other serious problems, and which focuses on wellness, maintaining and encouraging good health, rather than continuing to pour money into a broken "sick-care" system or even a slightly reformed version of that system. If I read his goals correctly, I think President Obama agrees. If that can be accomplished, I think a public option is a good and necessary thing. It is morally indefensible to deny basic necessary care to 46 million Americans and even more indefensible to leave the health fate of those Americans with coverage to a system of heartless corporations whose primary focus is how to avoid paying claims in order to increase their revenues.

Here's Dr. Andrew Weil's view to consider:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/andrew-we ... 54227.html

Here's Dr. Ornish's view to consider:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-dean-o ... 55224.html

In contrast to these rational well thought out views from doctors with many years of experience in medical practice and public health issues, the Republicans offer the voice of Sarah Palin to tweet more fear:
"The America I know and love is not one in which my parents or my baby with Down Syndrome will have to stand in front of Obama's "death panel" so his bureaucrats can decide, based on a subjective judgment of their "level of productivity in society," whether they are worthy of health care. Such a system is downright evil." Sarah Palin on Twitter this past weekend. See full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/shannyn-m ... 55060.html
The only relevant thing I can find in the house bill is a provision authorizing payment for counseling about end of life issues (such as where a loved one is in a non-recoverable coma). Seems to me that a better example of a "death panel" are the health insurance claims review boards, such as the ones document in the movie SICKO, that deny valid claims knowing that their decisions will mean that the patient/claimant, perhaps you or your family member, will die. After all, that earns the medical reviewers promotions and is good for the company's bottom-line! Of course, maybe instead of the truth, these right wingers with broken brains would rather hear the left's "secret sinister plan," so here goes:

Yes, we proponents of honest health reform focused on prevention and coverage to all Americans, even those that can't afford it, are secretly planning to kill your grandmothers and use them as fuel when oil prices get too high while enjoying our nice tasty soylent green salads! And yes, Sarah Palin, your grandmother's children's children will be first!
Last edited by roxybeast on August 11th, 2009, 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Pregnant Pope”