Dream interpretation

Lucid confusions & confessions by Doreen Peri.

Moderator: Doreen Peri

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Dream interpretation

Post by Doreen Peri » May 20th, 2010, 1:50 pm

Other than the obvious interpretation that I'd rather be working doing some job in the arts than sitting at a computer every day, here's a rather vivid dream I had last night which I just can't shake from my head. I don't think the symbols are difficult or anything. I just felt like writing it down and sharing it. If you think of some insights into additional meanings of this dream let me know. Thanks!

Dream I Just Had Last Night

I was at work and my job was a manager or, better said, an acting manager, of some business which at first I thought was apartment rentals. (Years ago in what seems like another lifetime, I used to be an apartment manager).

In the dream, I was improperly dressed for this office job. I was wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt with various colors of paint spilled all over it, and leggings or tights. And I needed a bath. My hair was dirty as were my clothes. I kept thinking, "I need to go take a shower and change clothes."

There was a beautiful stage with a hardwood floor in a lovely auditorium that must have seated over 1000 people and it was some type of rehearsal for some show but in between rehearsal scenes. The seats in the auditorium were royal blue had some people sitting in them. They appeared to be students at a school, not people watching a show. Some were chatting with each other, some where studying, books open and pens and highlighters in their hands.

Several people were on the stage working on building a set. I got up on stage and started doing pirouettes. It was fun! I was having a great time! But I was feeling guilty that I wasn't doing my office job as I was supposed to be doing plus uncomfortable because my hair was dirty. I had my double pirouette down perfectly and was trying to do a triple. A few people sitting in the auditorium seats even applauded.

A woman walked in the auditorium from the back entrance. I knew she was my boss and I felt I had been caught doing something I wasn't supposed to be doing since I wasn't in my office tending to my daily business. But ... when she called me down off the stage to talk to her, she didn't seemed upset at me at all for being on stage and doing pirouettes or even for the way I was improperly dressed for my office job.

She walked by my side in front of the stage and told me that my 1pm appointment was there. I didn't know I had an appointment but I pretended I knew all about it. I thanked her and 2 women appeared who she introduced me to. They were insurance agents of some sort. She told them a little about my family and the type of insurance we currently had then said something like, "Explain to Doreen what you have to offer for us and she will make the decision." Then she left.

The two young ladies were very polite and friendly. They were dressed appropriately for office workers and I remembered being uncomfortable since I was not dressed appropriately and yet I was interviewing them to decide which one of them to purchase an insurance product from.

It dawned on me that I was in a position to make a decision for a lot of people! It was a daunting position, a lot of responsibility. I'm not sure whether the people I was buying insurance for were the students of the school where the stage and auditorium was located or the residents of the apartments which I was supposed to be managing for my work.

We got a little uncomfortable sitting in the auditorium chairs so I asked them if they would follow me and join me in my office to sit in a living room type setting on a couch with a coffee table. We walked down the hall to my office but there was no couch and coffee table as I'd described to them. They looked at me perplexed.

I took them next door to an office which did have this set up, asking permission to the person standing behind a counter, explaining to this person, "This used to be my office. Could we use the living room area for a few minutes?" There was construction going on in this office, dust and debris everywhere. It was still more comfortable than the auditorium chairs. The woman behind the counter agreed it would be fine.

The two insurance agents and I sat down on the couch and chairs. I told them I'd offer them coffee but I didn't know where it was. I explained that I really didn't know they were coming, otherwise I would have been more prepared than I was to welcome them. We all laughed because I didn't know where the coffee was.

One of them started talking about her children and said she worked two jobs and she pulled out paperwork to help illustrate various insurance benefits, personalizing her presentation by relaying it to her own life. She was a young lady in her 20's and was being very responsible for her family by working 2 jobs! I was impressed by her work ethic and the way she handled herself.

Since the other insurance agent sat silent, I realized that maybe they were competitors. So I asked them if they worked for different companies and were selling different products. The answer was yes. I decided to reschedule their presentations for two different days so I could talk to them individually. We had another good laugh when we all realized how ludicrous this meeting was to begin with since they were competitors, not on a team working for the same company trying to sell the same product, but selling different products.

So, we all headed back into the auditorium.

The ladies and I all got on stage but I stayed backstage in the wings. It was as if I was directing the show but this was a competition. The two ladies had to follow ballet dance steps described in words on a projected screen. Like this... "Tendu, dégagé, frappé, frappé, frappé, tendu relevé, pirouette left, jeté, jeté." They were competing by dancing, I was judging, apparently, but I didn't like being in that position to have to judge them.

Other than the judging part and the uncomfortable office, the dream scenes on stage were loads of fun!

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » May 20th, 2010, 8:40 pm

amazing dream-memory, doreen! :)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 22nd, 2010, 6:55 pm

It was a very vivid dream! Had to write it down immediately when I woke up or I would have lost it. The way I wrote it down was just to quickly jot down images in the order they appeared. It was a list like this:

paint on shirt
leggings
stage
manager job
pirouettes
blue chairs
auditorium
students
boss
insurance sales ladies

etc.

Then, after I got all the images written down, it was easier to write it out.

Still analyzing it in my head. I suspect the two young ladies were former versions of me... when I was younger.

The fact that they were selling insurance is a mystery but I'm working on figuring it out. Something about being safe... security.... or health vs illness

I have had other dreams which have stuck with me for years. I suspect this will be one of those. I'll remember it for a long time.

Thanks for reading, Veronica.

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » May 22nd, 2010, 9:38 pm

Dearest Doreen,

I hope you will stick with this dream interpretation and writing them out like this. It's another part of your living. It's like having day-life and night-life.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » May 23rd, 2010, 1:33 pm

Thanks for reading, D!

I had another vivid one last night but didn't capture it quick enough. It's gone. :(

Gotta keep a pen and notebook by my bed I guess.

I believe dreams are an important part of our lives. They're part of how the unconscious self helps sort out waking life conscious self situations.... To me, the symbols are important metaphysical clues to our human nature and the way the world works.

In many respects, dreams are poems. They have the ingredients of poetry.... imagery, metaphor, symbolism, etc.

Return to “Infinity Sideways”