the painted veil

Post photos & art as prompts for poetry & prose.
HelloKitty

the painted veil

Post by HelloKitty » July 7th, 2007, 12:07 am

i've very happily rediscovered reading for the hell of it, most recently w. somerset maugham, after a 4 year long sabbatical into the dreaded land of college textbooks. in high school i read on human bondage and the razor's edge and after seeing the film version of the painted veil felt i needed to give the book a shot. one of the themes i saw in the film and am beginning to read in the book (as well as most importantly, apply to real life) revolves around discovering love and beauty in the banal and ugly.

for example, this afternoon when we sat by this utterly disgustingly pretty little river for a little while:

the river is at the edge of eugene's downtown area, 11th & patterson to be exact, by the barnhart dorm. i'm not totally sure if it's ditch/rain runoff, willamette river runoff, or what, but aside from the ADORABLE mama and baby duck inhabitants and pretty flowers, it's gross. it came complete with submerged shopping cart and festering floating unidentifiable animal carcass festeringness.
so ronnie studied his resume. perhaps with a little creative & skilled photoshopping, you too can read up on the cooking and serving talents of the yabyum!

this ladybug was crawling that leaf from end to end trying to escape. we were sure it offed itself after a minute or so of watching, but no, it prevailed and OWNED that leaf raft. it was both awe- and panic-inspiring. i was worried about the poor ladybug as well as my camera's potential bacteriariver death, as i was not in control of it.

i took a picture of something, ronnie took a picture of that.

i took another picture of something else, ronnie took another picture of that.

last night before our incredibly tasty yabyum dinner, i was busying myself gathering candle receptacles:
apparently, it is hilarious and picture-worthy that i am 5'1" and need to climb on counters to get what i want out of tall cupboards. stools be damned. i'll monkey it.

my romantic handiwork, yabyum camerawork.
these shoes pinch my feet, but I love them.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » July 8th, 2007, 6:59 am

A candle at night
Is such delight
Being the only light

Monkey???? Darwin???? What is the connection here????
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 22nd, 2009, 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 11th, 2007, 2:46 am

taking pictures of taking pictures...

damn, I love that...

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 11th, 2007, 10:21 am

very intimate yet also creative
shows what the eye can do anytime
very sweet summer
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » July 12th, 2007, 12:18 am

mnaz: yeah, those pictures of taking pictures were a complete, adorable surprise to me. they turned out well!

jimbo: yep we're pretty creative. those candles are still out on the deck table after several days...getting soaked in a summer rain storm. midday today it was about 80 degrees and muggy as all get out, now it's chilly and raining. in mid july. gotta love the oregon willamette valley...barf. i will admit, it has been a very sweet summer so far but honestly...this weather...barf.

p.s. we've seriously slacked in the photoblog department over the past few days...we will repent, we promise.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » July 12th, 2007, 11:50 am

beautiful sequence!!!

jimboloco

Post by jimboloco » July 12th, 2007, 4:41 pm

the lighting is exquisite
really quite extraodrinary
pics
dig the values range and the compos
the one of YY over his shoulder
just excellent
what i mean by composition
plus you both are blessed with warmth
and sweet contemplations
[color=darkcyan]i'm on a survival mission
yo ho ho an a bottle of rum om[/color]

HelloKitty

Post by HelloKitty » July 12th, 2007, 9:12 pm

thanks arcadia!

jimbo: thank you for your kind words! i'm pretty proud of that over-the-shoulder pic myself :) and our warm, contemplative natures, that makes me feel good.

i do try hard to equally frame and balance my pictures before i snap them. being a libra, all about balance and harmony and perfect gorgeousness. although i can't take credit for the lighting as my ridiculous hello kitty digital camera has NO FLASH (so so so aggravating) but about 6 different light features (although i usually just keep it on automatic filter & whatnot). i think it's, not a happy mistake per se, but an unfortunate blessing? yeah that works. the pictures have turned out pretty well so far, thanks for reminding me! plus i've yet to develop my fisheye lens as well as regular generic 35mm films. hopefully soon, i can't wait to share them with everyone!

Return to “Image Jams & Photo Travelogue”