there's no passing out in sparta!

Post photos & art as prompts for poetry & prose.
HelloKitty

there's no passing out in sparta!

Post by HelloKitty » August 20th, 2007, 2:48 am

yesterday we went to the lane county fair! i had three objectives: elephant ear, cotton candy, ferris wheel. mission accomplished!

we went on this really fun & satisfactorily scary swing ride. you sit in a baby-type swing suspended from a chain and the centrifugal force pushes you outwards away from the center. it was fantastic, although the empty swing in front of me banged my shin three times and left a giant goose egg/bruise combination. then we went on the dumbest "haunted house" mini-roller coaster. so lame.

elephant ear was a first for yabyum. i'd tried explaining it to him as churro dough with cinnamon sugar in somewhat pancake form. apparently they don't make them on the east coast...he had to see it to believe it, and is now a fan.

cotton candy...love.

ferris wheel. let's discuss. you're gonna like this. we waited until the sun went down, for optimal romantic quotient. we were the first to board, so we got to sit in our gondola the extra time it took to load everybody else. it was a longer ride than we'd expected, so we got our money's worth. the view was spectacular (sorry for camera phone quality, digital batteries were dead):
as was the time shared by the unashamedly-self-proclaimed cutest couple ever:
ok here's the good part: also spectacular was the hilarity that was yabyum's SHEER TERROR!!! oh goodness gracious. he was so afraid of the ferris wheel. not the ferris wheel as a whole, but maybe his lack of control in our journey? this man has been across the country several times, in countless fistfights, faced death who knows how many times, generally been in way too many scary situations only emerging stronger and more confident, yet was rendered helpless by a ferris wheel. i enjoyed it immensely.

today we went to the warped tour.
i learned: plan for both sun and rain, not just rain even if your day starts out in a torrential downpour and the weather forecast calls for rainrainrain all damn day. include sunscreen & a t-shirt while packing your raincoat, galoshes, extra pair of warm long socks, and umbrella.
ronnie learned: he truly is mortal. you really should watch from a distance & let the young kids beat each other up (direct quote), or else you could come home with a couple cracked ribs.
cutest:
new friend i forgot his name, but he also thinks all those high school boys running around in girl pants with their underwear hanging out while wearing three belts are totally stupid and should be spayed:
me & my budding sunburn:
yabyum before, ridiculously adorable, happy:
yabyum after, still adorable, very much not happy:
all in all it was a good day. ronnie also had his first burgerville meal, which if you are from or have visited the northwest and have partaken in the beautiful deliciousness that burgerville has to offer, you know how he loved that. got to see one of my favorite bands for the first time and it was so great and satisfying and my fandom has been rejuvenated. the rib-cracking was terrifying and worrisome but thanks to my oral-surgery-leftover vicodin, things are on the mend.

kitten update:
jack and i learned the hard way that he is not allowed to have cows' milk and i am truly sorry for that. for some reason, sally enjoys it and is completely unharmed by it. must be the calico. but poor jack gets the nasty runs. he's better now.
also, the kittens are learning to love their yabyumdaddykins:
they've been increasingly less afraid of him, have been accepting treats from him, and have been offering themselves for pets and cuddles.
and they're learning how to climb big things, like hanging closet shoe organizers:
they haven't figured out that they can jump on and off things yet. they stick their claws into the mattress, couch, laundry hamper, etc, rather than just jumping the distance they could so easily clear. they jump down, but not up. kittens. yeesh.
these shoes pinch my feet, but I love them.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » August 21st, 2007, 2:08 pm

Some more fine portraits of YabYum I must say!!!! :D
Last edited by Dave The Dov on March 24th, 2009, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » August 21st, 2007, 6:42 pm

swing rides...!!! wow!!! you´re brave people, jaja!!!.
sunburt: I use factor 40 when the damage is irreparable ( most of the time too late... !) Usually factor 29/30 or after some increasinly moderated frying days factor 15/25.
yab eyes & smile: he seems another person now!!! always serious and with lentes oscuros..mmmm
beautiful photos and relato, I enjoyed wandering them, thanks!!!

Return to “Image Jams & Photo Travelogue”