Howdy, howdy

Tell us about you.
Steve Plonk

Howdy, howdy

Post by Steve Plonk » December 12th, 2009, 5:12 pm

I just joined studio-eight. Let me introduce myself. I use Steve Plonk as a pen name. I do temporary jobs and wrote a perennial column for now-defunct BOG-GOB magazine. I addition, I am a published poet both under my real name and my pen name. My real name is J. G. Willis. I am a member of the Academy of American Poets. I have had dozens of poems published in small publications throughout the southeast and have written three copyrighted, but unpublished books. Two of these are creative non-fiction memoirs and one is a book of poetry. My column, called "Life in the Horse Lane" has been published in other small local magazines and papers, as well, in the Chattanooga area. I recognize some names and faces here from blogging on the Litkicks.com site. I found out about this blog from Levi Asher.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 12th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Hi Steve Plonk! (J. G. Willis) ;)

Welcome to the Studio! Glad you stopped by. I remember you. Hope all has been well. Kick off your shoes and hang out a while. :)

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 13th, 2009, 6:39 pm

Howdy, Steve Plonk... I well-recognize your handle from my visits to Litkicks, my alma mater of sorts regarding reading, writing and wrestling with like-minded folks, especially here at S8, home to several delightful thinkers and writers.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 14th, 2009, 12:45 am

hi Steve P - can i call you J.G.?

Steve Plonk

Prefer to be called "Steve" online

Post by Steve Plonk » December 14th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Judih, et al, thanks for posting. I prefer to be called "Steve" or "Steve Plonk" online. Do you remember, Judih, that on Litkicks you were the first to answer my post when I wrote a Ken Kesey memorial poem? (Late May, 2004) I still post on Litkicks...
I use my pen name which much of my recent writing has been published using. Thanks for asking about my real initials. I wish I'd found out about this site earlier and I may have submitted poetry for your site's anthology. Oh well, "better late than never," as the
announcement says...

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 14th, 2009, 11:19 pm

steve, do i remember? frankly, no. But you know what they say: if you remember, you weren't there (from woodstock urban mythology, oral edition)

since i mostly action poetry, when i do, i only post to litkicks when i'm responding uncontrollably to a poem, or to a blog entry.
This is the spot, along with a few others, where jamming happens. So, welcome.

Steve Plonk

Yes, I've seen all of you...

Post by Steve Plonk » December 15th, 2009, 8:52 am

Yes, I've seen you, Judih, and all of you post on Litkicks.com's action poetry occasionally since the summer of 2004 when they shut down the "boards". It's nice to recognize folks who you've seen on the net before. More like an online community when there is more interaction. Lately, there has been more interaction in Litkicks.com because Levi Asher has published some online memoirs which got plenty of folks to interact with him and others who shared experiences. In addition, the NYT reviews have always kept me posted on what's happening because I no longer subscribe to the NY Times Review. Being in the mid-south of the USA is a sort of backwater for what's happening. We filter happenings with our what I like to call our: "Y'All Filter"...
Judih, besides this feller from Australia, I think you are one the most most interesting bloggers outside the USA. Negev desert is it?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » December 15th, 2009, 4:52 pm

it is. negev desert. yes, it is.

i'm enjoying levi's memoirs - very brave of him to post it all, very enviable memory!

thanks for the tip of the hat, steve

Steve Plonk

Happy Chanukah! Judih...

Post by Steve Plonk » December 15th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Happy Chanukah! May Israel stay strong and safe! "May the Lord bless you and keep you and may His countenance shine down upon you". !!!

sooZen

Post by sooZen » December 16th, 2009, 9:54 am

Hiya Steve, welcome to the Studio. Nice to see you again! Glad you decided to wander over here.
Freedom's just another word...

http://soozen.livejournal.com/

SadLuckDame

Post by SadLuckDame » December 16th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Hi Steve. Welcome to the studio.
I've never been to litkicks, nor have I been here for long, but I squeezed my way into the family best I could, glad you're here with us, too.
`Do you know, I was so angry, Kitty,' Alice went on...`when I saw all the mischief you had been doing, I was very nearly opening the window, and putting you out into the snow! And you'd have deserved it, you
little mischievous darling!
~Lewis Carroll

Steve Plonk

Thanks for welcoming me

Post by Steve Plonk » December 18th, 2009, 11:42 am

Thanks for welcoming me. I saw your posts on other forums in
the Studio. Did you try any of the poetry jams? I am currently posting on GO...with Judih as moderator. I also have posted a poem in the Creative Writing forum.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » December 23rd, 2009, 11:08 am

Welcome
I am stilltrucking
aka crazy jack
son of crazy mike
I have inherited mike's sarcasm gene
like a snake hissing
I am a refugee of litkicks
where I am not wanted
but who can blame them

I am not the man I was thanks to litkicks where I met many of the people here.

I would like to read what levi said about studio eight but it is painful for me to go there since he trashed the archives.

For some reason which I do not know
all that is showing up is where I was flamed
which is weird to me
because levi said he was not going to archive the flames board
but for some reason all the action poetry posts are gone or I can't find them.

If you can find a poem by headburner (I think)
called "Eating Ghosts" I will glady pay you twenty bucks
can't find it anywhere
the internet archive is starting to restore some of the trashed boards
If I live five years it may restore Eating Ghosts.

meanwhile long live litkicks
long live studio eitht

I hope you have fun here.
that flame board on litkicks I used to call it my "Zen board" because of the heat I took. Which I am grateful for.
"you always get what you got coming you never have to ask" the spinoza of balitmore.

everything I write
is spontaneous gibberish
I regret the sarcasm
most times
sorry
Last edited by stilltrucking on December 23rd, 2009, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » December 23rd, 2009, 11:15 am

gibber away, truck... you do a damn fine job of it.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » December 23rd, 2009, 11:39 am

stilltrucking wrote: I would like to read what levi said about studio eight but it is painful for me to go there since he trashed the archives.
In his blog post, he talked about the old litkicks boards fondly, but stated he really didn't want chit-chat on his site and now he likes the blog format better. In his comments to the post, he said something like (paraphrased, but real close), "Some of the members that used to hang out on the old litkicks boards now hang out at Studio Eight where they continue to chit chat and wish each other happy birthday." heh ;)

I replied to correct him and let him know that Studio Eight IS a community where we do chat, yes, but it's NOT a chat board... it's an Arts community where we post our poetry, other writings, artwork, music, etc. I also mentioned our Word Jams. Then I linked him to Radio8 and invited him to listen. :)

He replied by thanking me for the update about Studio Eight and stating in a friendly way that he meant no offense, then telling me that he had a smile on his face when he posted his "smartass comment". I replied saying, "All smartass comments should be posted with a smile. *smile*"

Return to “Introductions”