Zuihitsu

(...)

Moderator: the mingo

the mingo

Zuihitsu

Post by the mingo » September 4th, 2016, 10:02 pm

Star-crossed,
paper will burn
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

the mingo

Re: Zuihitsu

Post by the mingo » September 4th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Ah, steamed hot dogs - in about half an hour I'm going to be thirsty as hell -

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 4th, 2016, 10:10 pm

I like waterfalls. Big or small, no matter. I prefer the smaller ones though, the big ones just speak of power but the smaller ones all have many different kinds of voices. They hook to your imagination and lead it around or serve it in delightful surprising ways.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 4th, 2016, 10:11 pm

Cleaning off my tabletop this afternoon
I found a scrap of paper
on the back of which I had written a phone number
or maybe a tally of something -
Seeing it now I don't remember
what it was all about
or why I had written it so very small

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 4th, 2016, 10:14 pm

Reaching up I unplug the small lights. People coming down the hill will have nothing to look at now but the dark

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 5th, 2016, 11:43 am

I brush the crumbs of bread from the counter, throw them in the trash -
the day moves along -

Across the street the old man & his nephew have gone off to ready some property somewhere for rental - I'm 65 but I call him the old man because he is 83, his nephew is 55 - I look at him and wonder if I will reach 83 - do I want to reach 83?

People erect dams to protect the legend of laughter - there has been no night yet so black that someone is not laughing somewhere - so we need those dams - they were and remain a good idea -

A blurry photograph of a woman dressed head to foot in black -
she is holding something in her hands, I can't tell what it is - I hate blurry photographs but the reason for them is probably astute

A vision of hunters of the Pleistocene is this very moment crossing my mind - I would enjoy watching that vision longer but my mind is only so wide

A photograph of a young man wearing his ball cap crooked standing in front of a wall of small photos - the articles of memory in two dimensional space - some of those pics are probably blurry - can't tell from here - I wonder if he will make it to 83 or will want to -

Father, give us this day our daily bread -

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 6th, 2016, 6:23 am

I rise from sleep. Restless. Memory & vision rise with me.I go to the kitchen and begin to prepare coffee. I turn on the light over the kitchen table where five dice lay from yesterday's games - the dice face showing one four & a pair each of five's & sixes. I smile remembering I had lost that game, badly. Erotic imaginings crowd my sleepy & awakening mind, a man and a woman from my past, he, my friend, she, his wife.

Also traveling my frontal lobes, a short piece of Scripture where Jesus said to his disciples, "Let's go over to the other side of the lake."

Along with an imagined scene of a kill site somewhere in North America, of ice age bison, women and the older children beginning the business of butchering out what the hunters had killed, the youngest children running about, pretending & playing excitedly among the dead animals 12,000 years ago.

I raise my coffee cup to the coming dawn,
"Good Morning" I say.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 6th, 2016, 2:14 pm

....coffee continues, I take my time .......wheels reversed, I contemplate the wire,,,ummmmmm....ahhhhhhh........I know I can... no thinking doing...... 8) ...lets see where this takes us???
Attachments
image.jpeg
me I feel like I'm becoming some kinda Kung fu t.v. Priest.....

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 6th, 2016, 3:20 pm

Looks like a good beginning to me 8)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 7th, 2016, 7:58 am

The sun needs no care to rise.

Loosely translated Zuihitsu means to "follow the brush" -

Had a dream last night that concerned the purpose of buying a 1960 Chevy - or something like a 1960 Chevy - actually it didn't look like a Chevy at all but it did look 1960. A bluejay calls out now close to the river. He does not look like a 1960 Chevy either but if you could go back to 1960 and see a bluejay there it would look exactly like this bluejay here - it would sound the same too.

I was gonna say something about the cricket singing somewhere in the grass off my porch here but I have said enough about crickets I think.

Maybe I should make a car that looks just like a bluejay. Maybe it will fly too.

Some days I get up before the Amish do. The Amish have been unusually successful in carrying yesterday into today and making that work. It's funny the Amish don't use more bicycles, at least most don't. Seems to me a bicycle would be right up their particular alley. When I'm out riding mine and go by an Amish farmstead the Amish children watch my progress with what seems to me a great deal of wonder & deep longing, but, perhaps, I am only being romantically unsophisticated.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 7th, 2016, 8:47 am

Impermanence ...

ERROR 404 - NOT FOUND

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 7th, 2016, 11:07 am

A spider traveling up her strand from floor to ceiling - spiders have eight eyes, do they ever sleep ?

I can hear the sound of running water from the bathroom. It sounds like a small waterfall. The woman of the house is taking a shower in preparation for her shift at the store. I think of falling water and its journey over stone & through rocks, many rocks with moss.

Now down the road I see Old Jim coming, returning home, bringing his shadow with him. He might not be home long. Old Jim has busy days these days.

I hear the Indians out on Standing Rock Res are walking on the dust and stirring up the same. Oil pipeline coming through the res - they don't want it and say it represents a danger to everyone along its length - they were set upon by attack dogs & pepper sprayed & thugs sent by the construction company but they stood their ground & the women & children with them - GOOD for them - some of them were even on horseback - no saddles - that lifted my heart off the ground in these days of fear - Hell yeah, Mongolia !

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 8th, 2016, 2:04 am

Path within a path. On a bike ride this morning dropped down off this ridge didn't have to pedal for the next 2/3's mile wind in my face cooled me right off then home ate a sandwich fell asleep in my chair woke up two hours later phone rings guy says, "can you help me take a load of shit to the dump?" Sure.

The whole time these things are happening I'm thinking of all the things I saw, smelled, heard, on my bike ride earlier.
Golden rod in bloom has turned the fields yellow. Cicadas are still singing. Grasshoppers try to move out the way of my bike. Some make it - some don't. Crows sound in the distance. Started to go down this road I ain't been down before but turned around, came back. I'll go down it another day. It was calling to me to go down it. Didn't answer that call today.

Meanwhile, I unload someone else's shit at the dump.

Things only exist while they are happening. They don't exist in the future. They don't exist in the past. We worry about many such things that do not exist.

Worried men singing worried songs. No unworried man writes poetry. All houses are floating in a sea of subsidence.

I think of bones men pick up off the ground and use to make music. Flutes. Drumsticks wrapped in rabbit's fur.

Pound Pound Pound Pound Pound

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 8th, 2016, 12:24 pm

First thing in the morning I let the dog out. He goes on a wander -

Walls were not built for shelter. Walls were not built to keep something out or in. Walls were built to display our passing shadows, like a painting. Electricity was discovered & light bulbs invented so that we could see our shadows day or night.

When the dog returns from his morning wander I refresh his food. He takes some time to decide to eat it or not.

The body of a fly I killed yesterday remains on my tabletop this morning. The sun is rising and gives the dead fly a dead shadow.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » September 8th, 2016, 3:38 pm

It is still common practice among the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) men to be buried with their lacrosse sticks. More than just a tradition for them - a way of life, all the way to the grave.

Begin. Inhale. Breathe out fire. Watch sparks fly upward. Hoping the forest will go to flame - Stunned by stars at night & women who relentlessly whisper all sorts of things, remembering when the meat of the bird had a lonely taste.
Stories of & at camp, my father, the hunter.

Mythologies of earth, stone, tree.

A rubber turtle hangs his head over the edge of the shelf, looks down on me - there is a dinosaur up there too but farther back in the shadows. A box covered with the silhouettes of frogs & geckos, within it the real bone skull of a snapping turtle, beads, things whose existence reaches all the way back to the beginnings of sympathetic magic. Invocations.

The mixtures of things, making for the mysterious. The call on the unknowable. The beginning of prayer.

Return to “Mingo's Lingo”