Welcome!

Making the extraordinary out of the ordinary.
libberator

Welcome!

Post by libberator » August 16th, 2008, 7:51 pm

Hey welcome to the Weekend Cut-ups, weekly poetry jam!

This artlog is dedicated to hosting a weekly jam for cut-ups only, for those of you unfamiliar with Cut-ups its a form of poetry where you take an existing text, cut out all the words or just the words you like, toss them in a hat or fishbowl, and then construct a poem from words drawn at random.

To participate all you have to do is snag a copy of your weekend newspaper, or print out an article from the internet, and make a cut up out of it. Get creative, try using sports section articles, or the Dear Abby section, it doesn't have to make sense, it just has to flow. You don't have to commit to doing this weekly, you can just try it out one week for kicks or drop in and out whenever you feel like it. The point is to create something new and artistic out of something everyday, and improve your ability as a poet.

Have fun and get creative!
[size=117]Cut It Up[/size]

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 30th, 2008, 2:33 pm

I don't do cut-ups exactly as you described but i'm sure they can be done in quite a few ways.... the way you describe sounds very cool!

I often cut up my own poetry notes. I take notes, keep a file of lines... then sometimes when the pieces aren't coming together, i go into the notes and grab lines, copy and paste, and after i've copied and pasted a bunch of lines and words from a lot of notes i've taken at different periods of time, I do a cut-up within that text, cut and paste, copy and paste some more, not totally arbitrary but with some sense of composition. It's a really interesting technique which I've used to create some pieces I really like. Looking forward to this forum!

Return to “Poetry Cut-Ups”