Life in the Horse Lane: On Healthcare

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Life in the Horse Lane: On Healthcare

Post by Steve Plonk » March 14th, 2010, 10:27 pm

LIFE IN THE HORSE LANE: ON HEALTHCARE

By Steve Plonk

Perhaps all of you who"dis" the right to healthcare should read the preamble to the "Declaration of Independence": "...endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights, among them: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...."
and the Preamble to the Constitution" "We, the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect Union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty, to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this constitution..."

Isn't healthcare an enrichment the quality of "life"? Isn't healthcare part of "promoting the general welfare"?

All you “right to lifers" talk long and loud about the fetus's right to exist. What about the right to good healthcare for children after they are born? What about the health of our teenagers and young adults or middle-aged hard working Americans?! Don't our elderly deserve the same consideration? What about helping people with various diseases and disabilities and/or addictions? How about including drug prescription benefits? Only the rich can afford to pay for a catastrophic disease, such as cancer, and cancer is hard for even the rich to pay for.

Our healthcare system stinks in this country. We need universal healthcare like they have in Britain, Sweden, Denmark and many other countries. Our medicare and medicaid system needs to be extended to all.

Socialized medicine is one way out of this dilemma--along with national health insurance.
Did you know that we were among the LAST of the civilized nations in the world to have social security?! We are not perfect and we have a long way to go to fix the inequity in our health care provision system. Health care IS a right to life, not a right to blissfully ignore.

Author's Note: The above piece was previously published in BOG-GOB magazine in a slightly different form in Summer 2003 issue, #26, page 26. Copyrighted 2003 by RH Graphic Design. I retain reprint rights to my BOG-GOB pieces, which copyright reverted back to me after first publication. All my thanks to BOG-GOB magazine for my string of essays, articles, and poems which were published there. I also am assuming that I retain reprint rights to pieces published here in Studio Eight.
Last edited by Steve Plonk on April 20th, 2010, 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 16th, 2010, 12:19 am

I agree with you on this, Steve, and have some positive hopes as to the bill passing, (influenced by several politicians and talking heads).

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » March 16th, 2010, 10:15 am

I also agree with you, Steve. But, unlike my wise friend MT, I'm not so sure that the bill proposals we now have in congress are what we are after(?). After all, it isn't just any 'healthcare bill' that we favor. Not any more than those favoring life after death, are willing to accept becoming a zombie. :?
NS (Necrotic Surgery)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 16th, 2010, 1:48 pm

Hopefully, when the bill passes and is made into law, we will have programs fully funded and as many people covered as possible. We don't need a bill which "borrows from Peter to pay Paul", as the saying goes. Health Care delivery in this country needs fixing and needs fixing as fast and as equitable as possible.

People with pre-existing problems need insurance coverage and those with catastrophic illnesses need funding. There needs to be a pay as you go system with regional contracts awarded to the most equitable pricing bidder. Quality health care is important so we don't need just
bare bones coverage which throws the "baby out with the bath water".

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm

Yes. Our country is long overdue for a Health Care shake-up and I am hoping with millions of others to see this bill pass. I think everyone has fairly stated that the Bill as it is, is not perfect and will need tweaking to straighten up and add to many components of it as it stands.

This is something that is long overdue for the citizens of USA, and regardless of the fright tactics the Republicans are so fond of using, I agree with Obama when he said: "Let's seize reform, the need is great."

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 16th, 2010, 5:21 pm

mtmynd, I heard that if the the republicans stop haggling and obstructing, that a healthcare bill could be passed this week. I hope what I heard about happens. I live in a red state, Tenn., whose represented by "Mr. Healthcare Obstruct", himself, Sen. Alexander.

Alexander is okay with the environment, but he appears to be on the side of the insurance industry in this Obama supported bill. I can understand Sen. Corker being a naysayer, but Sen. Lamar Alexander baffles me. Lamar doesn't usually seem like the Teaparty type. So, what's his angle?

Steve Plonk

Addendum

Post by Steve Plonk » March 16th, 2010, 5:33 pm

Addendum to previous reply: I understand, now, that the focus has been shifted to the House where 216 votes are needed. I am in another die-hard republican's district, Zach Wamp, who is also running for governor.
He is opposed to the Healthcare Bill and there's no changing him. I hope
the Democrats can get the votes needed this week.

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » March 16th, 2010, 6:32 pm

The current crop of Republicans are a miserable lot. They don't just dislike the Democrat's but it's clear there is a true hatred of anything the Dems offer up or want done. That would be almost tolerable, but between the lines one can easily sense the outrage of America having elected a black man... seriously. What gatherings of the Republicans have you witnessed where there is at best, a token black? This includes the so-called Tea Party where one cannot see anybody that is not white within the crowd.

Add to that the hateful, scornful rhetoric of the right wing's favored media - from Limbaugh to Beck to Hannity and, of course, Faux News... never a kind word about the President nor the Democrats in Congress.

All this hatred is solely because they do not want the Democrats to win either Congress or the Presidency and will do anything in their power to stop that from happening.... which one can see daily in the press. Why? Because if the Dems and the President win their votes to get this bill passed it will reflect upon them , the Republicans, that they are still not in control and their own platform doesn't support the opposition. They want full control and nothing less. And despite the Bush years of deregulation and huge deficits, they will look the public in the eye and swear to Jesus himself that only they, Republicans, can govern this government.

If anything is threatening our country it is the abyss between Democrats/Progressives and Republican/Fundamentalists and not any outside terrorists.

[enough. thank you]

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 17th, 2010, 8:10 pm

Hopefully, the far right and far left will refrain from hurting one another or any of us.

I have the optimistic idea that a Health Care Bill will pass at the end of the weekend--perhaps on Monday. Nice to start the first week of Springtime off right...

Steve Plonk

Recent Update

Post by Steve Plonk » May 16th, 2010, 6:23 pm

Recent Update, excerpt from article: From a March 31, 2010 broadside.
See below. The first bill was signed about when I thought it would be.
Talk about timely political commentary. What do you think now, two months later? Wagging heads want to know...

Obama signs companion bill to healthcare reform
March 31, 2010 | Healthcare Finance News Staff

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama signed the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010 on Wednesday. The law is the companion to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act that he signed into law on March 23.
According to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), the two new laws will make healthcare coverage available to 32 million uninsured Americans and establish healthcare exchanges where consumers can purchase healthcare insurance at a lower rate. She said the new laws would "hold health insurance companies accountable."
The laws represent "remarkable progress for the American people," she said.
"Health insurance reform is fiscally responsible for the budgets of America's families and the federal budget," Pelosi said. "It strengthens Medicare and improves benefits for our seniors. It will create millions of jobs and strengthen our economic security by keeping America competitive and igniting innovation and entrepreneurship."
Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine said the legislation "is further proof that Democrats are the party of results."
"This is what the American people want, and it's why voters trust Democrats to move our country forward," he said.

Steve Plonk

Re: Life in the Horse Lane: On Healthcare

Post by Steve Plonk » March 24th, 2017, 11:10 am

As we know, currently, the Affordable Care Act, also known as "Obamacare" is imperiled.
The current "replacement law" known as "Trumpcare" or "Ryancare" is being debated on
& possibly voted on as we speak. In order for portions of the above "replacement" bill
to be equitable, preexisting conditions must be covered under the bill like they were in
Obamacare. If the republican congress doesn't cover these folks, the bill should be killed.

Approximately 25 million new people were covered with in insurance under Obamacare
who were not covered before. I think that the basic tenets of Obamacare made it easier
to get insurance for many people. There was a sliding scale built in for poorer folks.
I am pro Obamacare. I think it can be amended to be even more effective for everyone.

According to local newspaper headlines (March 24th), Trump has vowed to let Obamacare stay in effect as it is unless legislation is passed today. I think that thinking republicans & democrats should "call his bluff" and continue to debate & delay the vote.

I think eventually we need to curb the drug prices being charged by pharmacies & hospitals
which drive up the prices of health care.
I also think that we need to eventually head toward government subsidy of heath care.
In addition, certain hospital procedures & operations need price caps & standard fees. Currently, there is no such thing. Hospitals & doctors charge what they want.
It is especially hard on people who don't have good insurance.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 26th, 2017, 9:19 pm

Well, it appears that Trumpcare/Ryancare didn't have enough votes
within even the republican party to pass.
I watched this weekend's show "Washington Week" on PBS & the consensus
on that show was that the failure of the bill was an "epic fail"... 8)

The above failure of that awful health service bill is good news for all concerned. Now,
Obamacare can hang on & folks might be able to work out improvements for now. :)
Dialog must be continued between democrats & republicans & between progressives &
conservatives. Surely, there is a way through this thing... :)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 4th, 2017, 1:36 pm

After Trumpcare/McConnell care was voted on in the U.S. Senate, it, too, failed to pass.
In addition, the attempt to directly repeal Obamacare also failed twice in the Senate.

One of our senators, Alexander, from Tennessee, voted against the bill three times, by his own
admission, as seen in our local paper. In addition, Senator McCain, from Arizona, a senator from Maine,
& a Senator from Alaska voted against repeal of Obamacare. In addition, Capito, a Senator from West Virginia
voted against Trumpcare at one time or another.

The Senate bill was just as bad as the House version because it would have cut funds to Medicare & Medicaid.
Thank goodness several GOP senators voted against the Senate version & refused outright repeal of Obamacare.

Hopefully, the Senate will move on & try to pass an equitable budget in September for 2018. Not many in the
Senate wish to pass Trump's version of the budget. Trump has threatened to withhold funding for insurance subsidies.
Senators, including Alexander are trying to circumvent Trump on the above proposal to withhold funding.
It should be unconstitutional for the President to withhold funding which has been allocated.

Any comments about any of my commentary are appreciated.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » September 22nd, 2017, 12:58 pm

The Graham-Cassidy U.S. Senate healthcare bill, this September, is the worst proposal yet say several sources.
I concur.
What are the republicans thinking of? Why is Alexander, from Tennessee, of all people, endorsing this awful
piece of legislation? I certainly hope that some republicans, including McCain, come to their senses & vote
against the above bill.

The ACA (Obamacare) insures that Medicare & Medicaid are utilized in equitable ways. This
latest Graham-Cassidy bill would send money back to the states with block grants. We saw what happened
with that back in the Reagan administration. It is voodoo health economics. In addition, the Graham-Cassidy
legislation would NOT insure folks with pre-existing conditions. Leaving it up to the states would be a boondoggle.
I certainly am against passage of the Graham-Cassidy bill. I hope you all are against passage, too.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » September 30th, 2017, 4:01 pm

Well, it is apparent that the Graham-Cassidy bill also failed in the U.S. Senate. Four republican senators were about to
vote against passage. The Senate did not even bring it up to a vote. Thank goodness... Trump acted like a sore tailed
cat when he got the news. Poor baby. :P

In addition, other good news is that HHS Secretary Tom Price resigned from the cabinet in wake of his "charter flight scandal".
Once again, good riddance to bad rubbish. The guy was a pain in the neck to health services.
Price was a naysayer from the "git go". Goodbye Tom Price. May the nation rejoice! 8)

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”