Happy Birthday, Nineteenth Amendment!

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Happy Birthday, Nineteenth Amendment!

Post by Steve Plonk » August 18th, 2010, 11:43 am

Happy 90th Birthday, 19th Amendment!
That's right: on August 18th, 1920, women won the right to vote. Celebrate by preparing for the upcoming midterm elections and, in honor of our suffragette sisters, do a little light hell-raising.

Send an email to Sadie Stein, the author of this post, at Sadie@jezebel.com.

Here's a companion article to this:

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z0wyOWSUvu

"Celebrating women's suffrage"

By ALICE GERMOND | 8/18/10 4:31 AM EDT

In 1848, a group of fearless women gathered in Seneca Falls, N.Y., where they declared women’s fundamental equality with men, and set out to secure our voting rights. In August 1920, after nearly 70 years and several generations of work, the suffragists faced a final difficult battle in Tennessee.

They had already won passage of the 19th Amendment in Congress and secured ratification of that amendment by 35 states; Tennessee’s ratification, if they could succeed, would give them the crucial number required to add the amendment to the Constitution and guarantee American women the right to vote.

In the Tennessee House, the vote was close. In fact, it was tied, deadlocked. Then, on the third round of voting, the youngest state legislator changed his mind. He had just received a letter from his mother, urging him to do the right thing.

And so, on Aug. 18, 1920 — 90 years ago today — women won the right to vote and make our voices heard in government. In the nine decades since, women have made great strides in America. A higher percentage of us vote than men and a majority of us vote Democratic. Approximately three-fourths of the women in the U.S. Senate, House, and state legislatures are Democrats, as well. And, as we all know, the speaker of the House, third in line to the presidency, is Nancy Pelosi. Our college attendance is equal to men and we are now presidents of great universities, we have joined the work force in record numbers, and we work as doctors, soldiers, and plumbers as well as teachers, nurses and owners of our own small businesses — and so do our husbands and brothers. We have closed many of the gaps between women and men. But there is still a long way to go to secure full equality — and that is why President Obama and the Democratic Party fight to level the playing field for women.

Although women continue to earn less than men — just 78 cents on the dollar, on average — President Barack Obama took immediate action to close that gap. The very first bill the president signed after taking office was the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which protects women against pay discrimination and helps to ensure women receive equal pay for equal work.

In addition, President Obama has championed flexible work policies like paid sick leave, because he believes women should not have to choose between keeping their jobs and caring for loved ones. Through a White House Forum on Workplace Flexibility and through the creation of a White House Council on Women and Girls, the president is working to better identify and address the challenges faced by women in the workplace.

At the same time, the president and his Democratic partners in the Congress have enacted broad-based legislation that is not only helping America overall, but is also giving particular benefits to women.
[/quote]

I am a proud supporter of women's rights. Now let's get together and
resubmit the "Equal Rights Amendment" to congress & the states. Don't you think it's about time? I'm sorry we couldn't pass it way back when...

I hope to get some comments from women, since we have many women who
post on Studio Eight. We are all brothers and sisters in the above effort.
Solidarity forever, as the saying goes. Human rights are the most important
right we have...since we are all human beings. .. As we may know, Afghanistan and much of the muslim world treats women with disdain.
I think we need to set an example and fully fund education and jobs for women.
I am adamant about it because I have a daughter and four nieces.

See more, about the nineteenth amendment see link: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/08 ... z0wyOWSUvu

All power remains with the people, and women comprise at least 51% of
the population in some areas.

Steve Plonk

Re: Happy Birthday, Nineteenth Amendment!

Post by Steve Plonk » August 17th, 2013, 9:36 am

I'm surprised that many people haven't posted on this site. :o Tennessee is now a "conservative bastion"; however, at one time, the Tennessee legislature put in the final ratification of the Nineteenth Amendment giving women the right to vote here in the USA. 8) :)

Ninety-three years ago this Sunday, my state of Tennessee ratified the Nineteenth Amendment to the US Constitution giving women the right to vote. 8) Happy birthday, Nineteenth Amendment!

I think it is time for all countries around the world to focus
in on women's rights. We have come a long way, but still have a long way to go
in ninety-three years...What say you? :) See my thread in my Column.

Once again, happy birthday in advance, to the Nineteenth Amendment! :) :) :)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 19th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Women's right to vote passed ninety-eight years ago. Tennessee legislature ratified the nineteenth amendment and
put the amendment into effect.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 3rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

It has been one hundred years since the Nineteenth Amendment was introduced. Next year,
it will be a hundred years since women got the right to vote in our country. I hope that someday
wlthin the next decade we will have a woman president.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » July 15th, 2020, 1:03 pm

Happy one hundredth anniversary to the nineteenth amendment, which gave women the right to vote!

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » July 15th, 2020, 4:28 pm

That was then.
A lot has changed since 1990.
Trump is president and any thing that distracts from defeating him in November is a snare and a delusion. Right now everyone's vote is in jeopardy not just women.

I got more opinions than I have orifices to express them :roll:

just say Hi Jack :oops:

I support the ERA too but I think this is where I am going to direct my energies for the summer and fall.
Today, there is a vast longing for respite from the 21st century, which — before the pandemic, two inconclusive wars and the Great Recession — began with a presidential election that turned on 537 Florida votes and was not decided until a Dec. 12, 2000, Supreme Court decision. Given Trump’s reckless lying and the supine nature of most Republican officeholders, it is imperative that the Nov. 3 result be obvious that evening.

This year, the pandemic will be an accelerant of preexisting trends: There will be a surge of early and mail voting. So, an unambiguous decision by midnight Eastern time Nov. 3 will require (in addition to state requirements that mailed ballots be postmarked, say, no later than Oct. 31) a popular-vote tsunami so large against the president that there will be a continentwide guffaw when he makes charges, as surely he will, akin to those he made in 2016. Then, he said he lost the popular vote by 2.9 million because “millions” of undocumented immigrants voted against him. Making a preemptive strike against civic confidence, Trump has announced that the 2020 election will be the “most corrupt” in U.S. history.

Washingtonpost.com —George Will 07/14/2020
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... story.html
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 8th, 2020, 11:40 am

Hi, Jack! :0 Typically, women and minorities have the most votes in jeopardy. This election season may prove difficult.
Hopefully, Democrats and some Republicans will vote Trump and his right wing senate out! :)

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”