My History of "Penny Haiku"

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

My History of "Penny Haiku"

Post by Steve Plonk » September 15th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Authors note: To Whom it may concern:

This is a history of my own personal invention: "Penny Haiku". It is a non-syllable short poem with biographical or anecdotal narration. I try to break out of the restriction and asiatic tightness of the current format of the so-called "haiku". I am quite aware of the poems "non-syllable" appearance.

I've been posting these for many years and only a few critics have
been astute enough to realize or care about the difference.
I used to call them "graffito" or "graffiti" or "shortening poems".
Some of the poetry rhymes, some has rhythm and some have
syllables--but not necessarily. Most are uplifting narration and
use whimsical references to nature, songs, and nursery rhymes & life style.
Some are even like maxims. I sometimes even call them "Cantos" or "Blues".
My canto is has more autobiographical & lifestyle info. Ezra Pound would
turn over in his grave.

In fact, I deliberately posted them here instead of in the "Haiku" forum for exactly the reason you used in your criticism. Someone once thought they should be called "Two-cent Haiku". I also have posted them in my standing column, "Life in the Horse Lane", and on Litkicks.com's "Action Poetry". My column, at Studio Eight, lets me "horse around" a little more. I like this blog.

"Bog-Gob", a now defunct local magazine, published a few of them here in Chattanooga, TN. I used to also publish commentary there and elsewhere. My heading used the same name:
"Life in the Horse Lane". My "muse steed" is rather like a "rocket horse" or like "Mr. Ed" and also very astute. I take these poems "straight from the horse's mouth"... Pegasus ain't got nothing on me... A rocket horse for a "rocket age".
But the Pegasus is still a great metaphor for my brand of physical poetry and prose. If it wasn't for Hunter Thompson inspiring me, my prose would not be possible.

One of the first poems that I used the phrase was used with an
abbreviation: "P. Haiku". People thought it was more clever to
simply say "Phaiku". That title phrase wore out after a while and I soon
started calling them by their full name: "Penny Haiku". These poems
have a thirty year history behind them. I was inspired by T.S. Eliot, "King Lear", Bob Dylan, Gary Snyder, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, & John Lennon & many more.

Thank you, eugeneherman, et al, for stinting so well & inspiring me to write this impromptu history of "Penny Haiku". This is a reprise of a post I wrote in the Poetry forum, under the title: "Shum Penny Haiku, Outside the stall"...
then renamed "Some Penny Haiku, Outside the stall, Part 1". A copy is now in my
column and is locked down.

Oh, I should like to name my "rocket horse muse" : "Stewball". So, you are the first persons to hear of it, outside my immediate circle of friends. I "knew my song well before I started singing..." to paraphrase Bob Dylan in a "Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"... (Would you believe Bob Dylan will be seventy next May? ) I absorbed influences like a sponge and I have a legion of influences. Like it was once said: "Build a dock and a ship will come in". So, welcome, new friends.

judih
Site Admin

Re: My History of "Penny Haiku"

Post by judih » September 16th, 2010, 12:25 am

thanks for the history

i understand the history of these pieces. Perhaps you recall markk's 'american koans' that he used to post on litkicks. i, in turn, came up with some kibbutz koans - also none of them true 'koans', yet their succinct riddles of modern culture had us use the 'koan' term. (and no one said a thing )

haiku is simply more well-known. The Japanese form, the present moment, etc. In any case, since you say the penny haiku series has its own will and whimsy, may it flourish.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » September 16th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Judih, glad you appreciated my history of 'penny haiku'. Thanks for the words
of encouragement. I'll just keep posting them and hope they continue to catch on with the network public. Someday I'd like to get back in the print media...

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » November 29th, 2011, 10:03 pm

I write Penny Haiku to connect with the "World Soul" & rehumanize myself--
begging for a heart of flesh ready for God's gifts of grace... :)

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”