Egypt's Military Vows Smooth Transition

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Egypt's Military Vows Smooth Transition

Post by Steve Plonk » February 12th, 2011, 4:26 pm

Egypt is a mess. The junta took over with a rabble. That is NOT democracy.
"Out of the frying pan and into the fire". I think Katie Couric (CBS) was wrong.
Sources say people died in that Cairo crowd. Egypt, Tunisia, & Iraq still have
plenty to learn about democracy. Democracy? Do the muslims even know
what it is we are speaking about? (On the other hand, do we? )

My sources said the Egypt "revolution" was an atypical army coup d'etat with
the army siding with the demonstrators. This type stuff has happened before
in Iran. I hope we don't get another reactionary government in Egypt like we
had under Nasser....Another thing, this type thing happened in Greece in the
late l960s--see my other comment in "Mid-Winter Word Jam". Only a few years
later, the Greek King was invited back.

In Britain, hundreds of years ago, Cromwell took over in a coup d'etat, and they
executed the king. Then, after Cromwell's death, the monarchy was invited back.
France went through a similar bloody revolution and the monarchy came and went and then came and went again and now France is a parliamentary republic.
In Spain, there was Franco, and then the monarchy was invited back after he
died--so there is hope. Constitutional parliamentary democracy has worked
in Britain, France, Greece, and Spain. Although, Greece is heavily in debt.

Dissolving the parliament in Egypt is a bad sign--if it indeed happened.
I wish Egypt well, but I am very skeptical of this so-called "freedom" revolution.
The junta did say that they would abide by all current treaties in force in Egypt and that is one positive sign of progress by the "new" government there.
See quotes below:

[quote]Egypt's new military rulers have pledged to enact a smooth transition to civilian rule, amid celebrations marking the country's first day in 30 years without Hosni Mubarak as president.

The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces vowed on Saturday to hand power to an elected, civilian government in a statement that came a day after Mubarak was swept from power following an 18-day public uprising.

The military will "guarantee the peaceful transition of power in the framework of a free, democratic system which allows an elected, civilian power to govern the country to build a democratic, free state", a senior army officer announced on state television.

The council also pledged to honour its international treaties - in an apparent nod to the country's 1979 peace treaty with Israel.

"The Arab Republic of Egypt is committed to all regional and international obligations and treaties," the military statement read.

Binyamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, welcomed the assurance, saying the longstanding peace treaty between Israel and Egypt ... is the cornerstone for peace and stability in the entire Middle East".

Later on Saturday, Egyptian state television reported that prosecutors had begun an investigation into three former ministers from Mubarak's government.

Travel bans were imposed on former prime minister Ahmed Nazif and former interior minister Habib al-Adli, who were both sacked by Mubarak before he stepped down from the presidency on Friday.

A travel ban was also imposed on Anas el-Fekky, the information minister, who had been reappointed in a cabinet that had been swiftly sworn in as a concession to protesters. Shortly afterwards, Egypt's current prime minister Ahmed Shafiq told a private Egyptian television station that el-Fekky had resigned and that his resignation had been accepted.

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from Cairo, said the bans were likely to be welcomed by pro-democracy activists, some of whom vowed to remain in the capital's Tahrir Square until their agenda for democratic reform is fully accepted.

"People out on the streets at the beginning were very much calling for the end of the regime, they were saying they don't want any of these people to remain in Egypt," she said.

"After the step down of president Hosni Mubarak they will be looking for accountability and that is what Egyptian authorities are now providing."

"Concerns for the future"

Our correspondent said questions now remain over how the military's transition to civilian rule will take place.

"I’m worried about the future," one Egyptian told Al Jazeera. "Nobody knows what's coming. We need to rebuild our country and economy because we are venturing into the unknown."

Despite the uncertainty, celebrations continued in Cairo and other parts of the country on Saturday a day after Mubarak stepped down, handing power to the military.

'Our producer reports scattered fighting as army removes barricades'

Al Jazeera's online producer, Evan Hill, reported some instances of fighting between the army and protesters in Cairo as the military worked to dismantle barricades that protesters promptly put back in place in their effort to remain in the square.

For the most part, however, the day proceeded without any major incidents, following 18 days of rallies in Tahrir Square that culminated in a mass celebration on Friday at the news that Mubarak had stepped down.

Omar Suleiman, the vice-president, had announced the news in a televised address on Friday, saying the president was "waiving" his office, and had handed over authority to the supreme military council.

Suleiman's 50-word statement was received with a roar of approval and by celebratory chanting and flag-waving from a crowd of hundreds of thousands in Tahrir Square, as well as by other pro-democracy campaigners who were attending protests across the country.

The highest-ranking figure in Egypt is now Field Marshal Mohammed Hussein Tantawi, the country's defence minister and head of the supreme council.

'Dream come true'

The crowd in Tahrir responded to Suleiman's statement on Friday by chanting "we have brought down the regime".

'Tahrir Square responds to Mubarak's resignation'

Mohamed ElBaradei, a prominent opposition leader, hailed the moment as being "a dream come true".

ElBaradei reiterated that Egypt now needs to return to stability and proposed that a transition government be put in place for the next year.

Ayman Nour, another opposition figure and a former presidential candidate, told Al Jazeera that he would consider running for the presidency again if there was consensus on his candidacy.

Amr Moussa, the secretary-general of the Arab League, said that he would resign from his post, one that he has headed for about 10 years, "within weeks".

Some analysts say he may well run for the Egyptian presidency when elections are held.

Suleiman's announcement came after hundreds of thousands of Egyptians took the streets for the 18th consecutive day, marching on presidential palaces, state television buildings and other government installations.

They had dubbed the day Farewell Friday, and had called for "millions" to turn out and demand that Mubarak resign.

Source: Al Jazeera and agencies[ / quote]

To wrap up the discussion: I am skeptical of anything coming out of "Al Jazeera" news network, et al; however, Egypt's military agreeing to abide by current international treaties
is a very good sign of positive stability in Egypt, if true to their words.

I continue to wish Egypt well, but everyone should realize that Egypt still
has a long way to go down the path of "democracy". If I were an Egyptian,
I would've left the country more than two weeks ago. Let's hope and pray
that Israel and Egypt may continue to be good neighbors.

mtmynd

Re: Egypt's Military Vows Smooth Transition

Post by mtmynd » February 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Re: "I continue to wish Egypt well, but everyone should realize that Egypt still has a long way to go down the path of 'democracy'."

Of course, Steve, it has a lifetime to go. That's no reason to dismiss any nation's desire to become a democracy. Hell, this country has been working on it since 1776 and has not mastered yet. But even tho democracy is certainly not perfect it is a far cry from a monarchy that calls all the shots for the citizenry, isn't it?

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » February 12th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Mtmynd, I certainly am not dismissing Egypt's efforts, but nothing has happened yet to quell my skepticism about future results. Egyptian "democracy" is barely
out of the starting gate yet, and already the military has taken control.

The so-called 'freedom revolution' just looks ominous to me from where I am sitting. Just looks like another muslim coup d'etat to me...similar to what
is happening in Tunisia and Pakistan. We'll have to wait and see. Turkey
is the closest that the muslims have to a "democracy" in the Middle East. For example, Tunisian refugees are already heading across the sea straits toward Italy...

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 12th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Sorry, Steve, but the adage about the glass half full and half empty comes to mind...

Witnessing all the joy from those oppressed people yelling Freedom has me supporting them. Whatever happens in 3 weeks or 3 months is anyone's guess but why squash the party? They need all the support they can get from any and all people worldwide, IMHO. Keep in mind this is the first time this has happened in the MidEast where a monarch/despot has been overthrown by his people... and peacefully at that. Historical.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » February 12th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Sorry to diss your party, but the glass , suprisingly, is half full to me. The Egyptian revolution looks like the one in Iran. It is not the first to depose a monarch. Sorry, Mtmynd. I wish the "revolutionaries" luck trying to get the Egyptian junta to fulfill their demands.
Like you said, "whatever happens in 3 weeks or 3 months is anyone's guess..."
Happy, happy, joy, joy...

So, since I dissed the party you'll have to sing the song: "Party Pooper! " :lol: :wink:

I give Egypt best wishes... Only the junta knows what Egypt will do... :roll: Let's
see what happens later.

Kind folks and gentle people, feel free to comment anytime that you
disagree with me. I thrive on the exchange of views and I've been
known to change my mind. Any others care to share? Keep those
thoughts and epistles coming! 8)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » February 4th, 2012, 12:30 pm

So much for a smooth transition...There have been parliamentary elections the past year, but the Egyptian junta is still in charge of the executive branch.
In addition, this past week, there was a horrific riot at a soccer game in Egypt
where 70 people were killed and 1000 or more injured. :shock:

In many cases, police in riot gear just stood by and watched the commotion...
No, there has not been a smooth transition a whole year later...These things
take time, but the population has voted in the "Muslim Brotherhood" candidates
and it is unclear how the government will deal with prior treaty obligations to
Israel. I am dismayed, also, at the recent attack on the Israeli embassy... :(

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » June 27th, 2012, 11:18 am

Looks like the Egyptians elected a new president. He is one of the "Muslim Brotherhood"... I am apprehensive as to whether or not he'll honor prior treaty
obligations--especially with Israel. Moreover, the military junta is still in charge...Kind of like if our "joint cheifs" of the Defense Department were in
charge here in the U.S. It is as if the "president" were just a "figurehead" like
the Queen in the U. K. I would appreciate anyone else's input on my opinions
on this...Egyptian politics are complicated. 8)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 16th, 2013, 8:59 pm

EGYPT UPDATE: The military recently removed the duly elected Muslim Brotherhood backed
President Morsi. Soon after, an interim President was chosen. The Muslim Brotherhood didn't like the situation & variously sat in, rioted & burned cars & buildings. The Egyptian Junta moved in with the Army, etc, & used deadly force with the rioters & demonstrators. :(
At least, they warned them to stay off the streets & tried a curfew. The miltary brought in tanks & heavy artillery & used tear gas, etc... :( THE END OF SMOOTH TRANSITION...

There has been a huge bloodbath, & I think it may start to turn into a civil war in Egypt. :(
President Obama told the Egyptians that he is calling off joint military exercises with
them. I hope that Egypt may get the situation under control. Otherwise, there'll be a
dangerous situation if shipping has to pass through the Suez Canal. :roll: The price of
oil will go way up, if the ships have to use pipelines or alternate routes around Africa, etc. :cry:

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”