Obama's Inequitable 2013-14 Budget

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Obama's Inequitable 2013-14 Budget

Post by Steve Plonk » August 10th, 2013, 7:25 am

Here's a copy of a topic I posted on Stories & Essays Forum: 8) :)

"Obama's Inequitable 2013-14 Budget"

Postby Steve Plonk » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:44 pm
Here is a quote from A A R P about Obama's inequitable new budget.
It's not as bad as the Ryan & the Republican's budget but read it & write
your representatives & senators about it. See below:
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

April 10, 2013

CONTACT

Tiffany Lundquist

202-434-2560, media@aarp.org

@AARPMedia

AARP on White House Budget Proposal

Social Security benefits should not be cut to reduce the deficit; health care cost savings must be sought system-wide.

En español|WASHINGTON—AARP Executive Vice President Nancy A. LeaMond released the following statement in reaction to President Obama’s FY2014 budget proposal:

“As the President and Congress work to address the budget challenges facing our nation, AARP believes it is time for responsible solutions, not harmful proposals that would hurt older Americans and threaten the retirement security of future generations.

“AARP is deeply dismayed that President Obama would propose cutting the benefits of current and future Social Security recipients, including children, widows, veterans and people with disabilities, to reduce the deficit. Social Security is a self-financed program that doesn’t contribute to the deficit, so it shouldn’t be cut to reduce it.

“The so-called ‘chained CPI,’ included in the President’s budget, would cut Social Security benefits significantly over the next ten years. It would start now, taking money from the pockets of current beneficiaries, and would grow larger over time, having the greatest impact as Americans grow older and rely more on their Social Security benefits. It would also cut additional benefits for veterans and people with disabilities, and raise taxes on most taxpayers.

“Across the political spectrum, older Americans agree with AARP’s opposition to the chained CPI. In a national survey we released this week, fully 84% of voters 50+ oppose cutting Social Security benefits to reduce the deficit.”

“AARP is carefully reviewing the details of the President’s proposals to achieve savings in Medicare, bearing in mind that the rising cost of health care threatens people of all ages. Medicare is only one part of our health care delivery system, and it is critical that we look for innovative solutions that can hold down health care costs more broadly.

“We know that prescription drugs are one of the key drivers of escalating health care costs, so we appreciate the President’s inclusion of proposals to find savings in lower drug costs. And we applaud his plan to accelerate closure of the ‘donut hole’ in Medicare Part D by 2015, which would reduce seniors’ often burdensome out-of-pocket health care expenses.

“Instead of making harmful cuts to Medicare or shifting additional costs onto beneficiaries, we need to look for savings throughout the health care system, including Medicare. In addition to lowering the costs of prescription drugs, innovations that promote better care, reward improved outcomes and make health care programs more efficient and less wasteful have the potential to hold down systemic high health care costs, including costs in Medicare.

“As retirement security grows ever more elusive for Americans of all ages, Medicare and Social Security have become increasingly important for today’s retirees and their kids and grandkids. AARP believes it is wrong for the President to try to balance the budget by weakening the programs that provide the very foundation of retirement security for current and future generations.”

AARP is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, with a membership of more than 37 million, that helps people turn their goals and dreams into real possibilities, strengthens communities and fights for the issues that matter most to families such as healthcare, employment and income security, retirement planning, affordable utilities and protection from financial abuse...
Last edited by Steve Plonk on Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Plonk

Re: Obama's Inequitable 2013-14 Budget

Postby Steve Plonk » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 pm
April 4, 2013
“April 4 - Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs and the founder of the Defending Social Security Caucus, issued the following statement in response to reports that President Obama will include the so-called chained-CPI in his budget proposal:”

“Millions of working people, seniors, disabled veterans, those who have lost a loved one in combat, and women will be extremely disappointed if President Obama caves into the long standing Republican effort to cut Social Security and benefits for disabled veterans and their survivors through a so-called chained CPI. In 2008, candidate Barack Obama told the American people that he would not cut Social Security. Having him go back on his word will only add to the rampant political cynicism that our country is experiencing today.

If Obama is serious about dealing with our deficit he would not cut Social Security – which has not added one penny to the deficit. Instead, he would support legislation that ends the absurdity of one out of four profitable corporations paying nothing in federal income taxes. He would also help us close the offshore tax haven loopholes that enable large corporations and the wealthy to avoid paying $100 billion a year in federal taxes.”

To read more see the link below:

http://ideclairmedia.com/rise-tell-pres ... cial-secu/

Steve Plonk

Postby Steve Plonk » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm
Yes, kind folks & gentle people, Obama really f'd up this years budget trying to sound like
"republican light". Oh noooo...No sense in trying to feed the trolls. No, You don't cut Head Start, propose selling T. V. A., & dock the elderly, disabled, & veterans benefits with the "chained CPI". Obama, you are better than that...

Which "pencil headed geek", on your budget advisory committee, proposed these idiotic ideas? :mrgreen:

Steve Plonk

Postby creativesoul » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:43 pm
i think that he may have some real trouble- seriously understanding what have is actully doing- i think his long pauses i previously mistook for intelligence have been reduced to clear BLANK STARES into a world he never imagined- and he likes it- he doesnt want to lose it- but i have news for you OBAMA TRAUMA - TAKING AWAY HEALTH CARE IS NOT REAL SMART- :mrgreen: OCCUPY
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

creativesoul

Postby Steve Plonk » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:27 pm
Thanks, Creative Soul, for concurring with me on Obama's budget advisory. :roll:
Let's hope our social security income, etc. isn't compromised by any accountants compromise.
After all, in the final analysis, it is OUR money. All of us may grow old, some day.
Some of us are farther down that road, than the others. :wink:

May we, the 99%, get returns on our
hard spent dues. The 1% don't have as many financial worries...
We are all in the same ball
of wax, but not all are the "upper crust". :idea:

Steve Plonk

Postby stilltrucking » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:07 pm

"The crisis is imminent," Schiff said. "I don't think Obama is going to finish his second term without the bottom dropping out. And stock market investors are oblivious to the problems."
"We're broke, Schiff added. "We owe trillions. Look at our budget deficit; look at the debt to GDP ratio, the unfunded liabilities. If we were in the Eurozone, they would kick us out."
http://moneymorning.com/ob-article/schi ... ode=118408

With neither side in the budget standoff willing to make the tough decisions needed to avert a fiscal catastrophe, maybe what Washington needs is a bungee cliff dive.

And yet, our fiscal situation is so crazy that a few analysts have begun suggesting that maybe, just maybe, going over the fiscal cliff is our best hope. Bruce Bartlett, a former Reagan administration official and latter-day critic of the GOP’s profligate spending during the administration of George W. Bush, recently wrote for TheNew York Times website about “The Fiscal Cliff Opportunity.” Peter Schiff, the head of Euro Pacific Capital, has been even blunter. The biggest risk is not that “we go over this phony fiscal cliff,” Schiff said in a recent interview. “It’s [that] the government cancels the spending cuts, cancels the tax hikes,… [and] instead we end up going over the real fiscal cliff further down the road.”
“In fact,” he added, “the real fiscal cliff comes when our creditors want their money back and we don’t have it.”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... cliff.html

How The Bush Tax Cuts Blew Up The Deficit And Debt

Free Rice

stilltrucking

Postby Steve Plonk » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:07 pm
Still Trucking, Thanks for your input on Obama's f'd up budget.
Here is a link to some more dialog on the infamous "chained CPI".
Now, neither party likes it, supposedly. It is my sincere hope that
the "chained CPI" will be taken off the table as an accounting tool...
See link:

http://downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/201 ... rphan.html

Steve Plonk

Postby stilltrucking » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:50 am
Thanks for keeping me informed. I been watching what has been happening in Turkey, thinking about the difference between a "republic" and a true democracy.
"i am not a member of any organized political party, i am a democrat."W.R.
Free Rice

stilltrucking

Postby Steve Plonk » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:39 pm
Thanks, Still Trucking, here's an intro to a "People's Guide to the Federal Budget", from a
Massachusetts non-partisan center called N. P. P. or National Priorities Project &/or: See link below, for tools for engagement. 8) There is also a video connected with it... :)
http://nationalpriorities.org/en/budget ... les-guide/

Steve Plonk

Postby Steve Plonk » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:52 pm
An Open Letter to the President:

In advance, we wish you a happy birthday with many happy returns, on August 4th.

But please, Mr. President, do not use the “Chained CPI” as an accounting tool to figure entitlements.
As fellow Democrats, we really strongly oppose it, & we are most upset that it was even on the table.
It is inequitable & cuts into people’s hard earned social security &/or pension incomes. Medicare & Medicaid need to be preserved without so-called “means testing”. The AARP is also against these proposals. We need the money to make ends meet in our old age.

We would hate to be a Detroit City Employee night now. The government should insure people’s pensions, not permit CEOs & accountants to steal them. There is supposed to be insurance for things like this.

Just because a city or business is bankrupt,
It shouldn’t mean that folks should lose their pensions, with no recourse to retrieve them.
The Federal Government should bail out Detroit, etc. & insure people’s pensions against economic
collapse, otherwise we will be in the same boat as people in the 1920s, before Social Security.
We were one of the last industrial countries in the world to have social security or insure people’s pensions.

Also, See below:

“The Obama proposal that got the most attention would change how Social Security pension benefits are periodically adjusted for inflation, resulting in a reduction of regular cost-of-living increases for beneficiaries.”

“The idea - involving a measure of inflation known as the chained Consumer Price Index, or chained CPI - was backed in December by House of Representative Republican leaders and put on the table at that time by Obama during negotiations over the so-called "fiscal cliff" of automatic budget cuts and steep tax increases.”

“A retiree who starts at age 65 with $20,000 in annual Social Security benefits would be receiving $289 a month less after 25 years under the chained-CPI approach.”

“Obama also proposed increasing means-testing for some beneficiaries of the government sponsored health insurance program for seniors, Medicare.”
From” Reuters”, April 11, 2013, by Mark Felsenthal & Sam Youngman “Obama’s Budget Proposal Leaves Both Parties Wary”

Sincerely,
Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » November 3rd, 2013, 11:41 am

Here's a post made at my older thread,
in the Stories & Essays Forum, by Sweetwater:

Postby sweetwater » October 17th, 2013, 10:38 am
i just imaginably love your politicizations

and the political representations of fine ideas
and prose

it's great to realize there are people out there
who actually know what's going on

sweetwater
Please note that the older thread is now continued in this spot, in my Column.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » April 27th, 2014, 1:57 pm

I also don't like the Obama administration's idea to "sell TVA". :( I think he took the "play book" from the Eisenhower administration in more ways than one.
Whoever thought that a Democrat would ever propose to "sell Tennessee Valley Authority"?! :x

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » May 15th, 2014, 4:50 pm

Finally, after nearly a year later, according to the May 2014 issue of the "AARP BULLETIN",
benefit cuts are off the table, in Obama's budget, in the form of the "chained consumer
price index" or CPI's. See my earlier open letter to Obama. 8)

The above positive news was included in
the column called "Washington Watch" in "Your AARP", on page 34, in the above May issue.
Hopefully, the House & or the Senate will not try to put cutting benefits for either seniors
or veterans back into consideration.

In addition, "a one year patch" was used for Medicare patients to continue to access doctors at equitable rates. Also, see same article. :)

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”