A Sixty Year Old Gift becomes a Problem: The Crimea

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

A Sixty Year Old Gift becomes a Problem: The Crimea

Post by Steve Plonk » March 3rd, 2014, 11:17 pm

See the news link to Khrushchev's "gift" of the Crimea to the the Ukraine.
Ethnic Russian resentment has smouldered there all these years...

http://www.npr.org/blogs/parallels/2014 ... lash-point

Here's another link concerning Khrushchev's "gift" of the Crimea to the Ukraine in 1954.
See below:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... eva-world/

Steve Plonk

Re: A Sixty Year Old Gift becomes a Problem: The Crimea

Post by Steve Plonk » March 9th, 2014, 2:35 pm

Puerto Rico, commonwealth of the USA, has 3,515 square miles. Crimea, in the Ukraine, now claimed by Russia has 10,100 square miles. (I'm trying to make an analogy here...) Crimea is roughly three times the size of Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico has 3,725,789 people (2010 Census) & the Crimea has 1,973,185 people, as of 2007. However, as you may see, Crimea has about three times less population than Puerto Rico.

My point is this. If the United States approved Puerto Rico as a state we would be in the right if a referendum to seek statehood passed there. If the governor of Puerto Rico abdicated or was thrown out, the world would not fault the US if we sent our military there.

So, it seems to me, if Crimea decided to become part of Russia again, it should not be any
skin off of our collective noses. If it's done legally through a referendum, then the rest of the world should stay out of it. Just like people stay out of our Puerto Rican affairs.

Ukraine's duly elected President abdicated or was thrown out. Russia is just trying to exert authority over its own sphere of influence. After all, there is a major Russian military base there, & most of the citizens of Crimea are Russian speakers. Furthermore, in my lifetime,
Crimea was an integral part of Russia. Russian speakers resented Crimea being made part of the Ukraine. However, back in the day, one didn't criticize the Soviet Premier's actions.

If Puerto RIco had a rogue governor, wouldn't we want to protect English speakers in our commonweath or territories? Most of the Crimean citizens want Russian protection there. I think Europe & the USA should stay out of the situation in Crimea. However, I think giving economic aid to Ukraine is just fine.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 14th, 2014, 12:48 pm

If the Russians move into other parts of the Ukraine, I would take a "dim view" of that.
Putin has already compromised the 1994? treaty Russia had with the Ukraine by invading
Crimea. However, I think I explained Russian reasoning in regard to that matter.
Perhaps, Russia will realize their blunder & move back their forces.

Since Russia has a military base (already) in Crimea, I still sympathize with their "invasion"
of Crimea. After all, Crimea is within Russia's direct "sphere of influence". The Russians
need to quit while they are ahead. No need to put the other foot in the collective mouth.
Protection of "Russian speakers" may only go so far as an excuse. After all, the President
of Ukraine was removed by force. That was a bad situation just made worse...
Why doesn't the rest of Europe, & the USA, have any sympathy for the Russian position on
the "Ukrainian Crisis"? Does Russia always have to look like an aggressor?

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 19th, 2014, 10:08 am

A referendum was held in Crimea in which most Crimeans voted to be part of Russia.
Russia has apparently voted in their Duma to annex the Crimea, & President Putin has
signed & announced the annexation of an "independent Crimea". See more, in link below,
from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... sanctions-
crimea-asks-to-join-russia

What do you think of the situation, now that there is further clarification?

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » March 19th, 2014, 5:28 pm

gracias, Steve for the details about Khrushchev´s times. I "wikipead" Crimea and got dizzy already near the XIX century because of the diversity of occuppations and ethnicities there ... ahhh those Asians & Europeans really have a long story ...! :lol: :wink:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimea

Interesting also the analogy with Puerto Rico you made, gracias for sharing it! :)

my thoughts?: I hope they manage somehow to live with their neighbours without killing each other, that´s all... :roll:

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » March 20th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Arcadia, thanks for commenting...Hopefully, Russia will permit a demiltarized zone established
in Crimea, outside their bases, & allow the Ukrainian navy & troops to retreat/exit peacefully.

I continue to hope that the Russians will not violate the 1994 treaty any further & that they will consider allowing a peaceful Crimea to remain autonomous from both Russia & Ukraine. Perhaps, the Russians will consider a commonwealth status like Ukraine used to agree to. Our USA/Puerto Rican commonwealth agreement has stood the test of time after they became independent from Spain. 8)

Military maneuvers from either side look rather ominous. Hopefully, it is just saber rattling.
I don't think that either Russian nor the Ukraine can afford a war at this time. I especially
hope that the U.K. & the USA will not let this situation get out of hand. Sanctions are possible
but I hope war is improbable. :)

Here's another link which explains Crimea's historical significance to Russia from the "Washington Post":
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wor ... mir-putin/

One final thing, if we get Russia to "purchase" Crimea with Ukraine's "bad debts" we
could solve the whole thing. Ukraine's debts to Russia would be expunged & Russia
would get Crimea free & clear of further controversy.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » April 25th, 2014, 11:19 am

If Russia invades any of the rest of Eastern Ukraine, all bets are off.
We will have to impose tougher sanctions & get the Europeans to go along with us.
I'm tired of Europe using the USA as their "attack dog". :o
The Europeans must participate in any UN troops which may be needed in case of war.
Ideally, this thing should be settled between Russia & the Ukraine. :idea:
It is doubtful that Russia would withdraw from the Crimea, at this point in time. :(
That is why I suggested that a "purchase" may be involved with generous terms.

Arcadia

Post by Arcadia » April 29th, 2014, 7:03 pm

I'm tired of Europe using the USA as their "attack dog". :o

:shock: oh well ... : Are USA government and "Unión Europea" interests so antagonic ...? What´s "Europe" really nowadays...?

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » May 2nd, 2014, 1:30 pm

All I'm saying is that our European partners in NATO should be willing & able to impose
sanctions on Russian interests, if needed, in future. "Attack Dog" is a metaphor for either economic &/or military options. The USA is currently the country with the strictest sanctions.
Agitation at the Eastern Ukrainian borders is an ominous sign for all concerned. :(

We have many treaties with Russia. I would not like to see the Space cooperation treaties,etc., go down the tube.
America needs cooperation with Russia on the Eastern Ukraine issue.
One such cooperation would be to compensate Ukraine for Crimea. One way to resolve
the issue is for Russia to "purchase" Crimea with forgiven Ukrainian oil & gas debts.
Russia & Europe still trade for gas & oil. We realize that. However, there must be
a respect of future Eastern Ukrainian territory. The Ukrainian May 25th Elections must be respected also. :)

Hopefully, all concerned will restrain themselves from anything which would further escalate
the worry folks have about another war in Europe. So, the Europeans must do their part, too.
Diplomacy could be the answer to the situation. Economics may play a part, also. 8)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » September 2nd, 2014, 12:48 pm

Looks like Crimea is heating up on the world's stage... Along with two other of Ukraine's
provinces in a border dispute. Russian sympathizing rebels have shot down planes &
are wreaking havoc in Donetsk and Luhansk Ukrainian provinces.

Do you think what the Russians did in the Crimea was legal? If Russia purchased the Crimea
as I proposed,( along with others), would it be acceptable to the world- at- large? :idea:

In my view,a "forgiveness" of Ukraine's debt to Russia would be the right thing for Russia to do, in consideration for Russia's occupation/annexation of Crimea. What say you?! :?:

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”