Why I lock threads, Etc.

Essays & explorations by Steve Plonk

Moderator: Steve Plonk

Steve Plonk

Why I lock threads, Etc.

Post by Steve Plonk » April 7th, 2015, 2:26 pm

Hello Folks, please refrain from commenting off topic on my threads. I have moved these comments onto this new thread, called "Why I lock threads, Etc."
Here is the topic about locking threads below.

Mostly, I lock threads because they are getting too big to manage, or
have too many inflamed remarks. Every moderator has that perogative.(sic)
I will also remove comments I feel are disrespectful to others.( I very seldom do this.)

Steve Plonk

Re: Why I lock threads, Etc.

Post by Steve Plonk » April 7th, 2015, 2:28 pm

Postby creativesoul » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:13 pm

who decides who 'locks' a piece that is on going on here? i think that may be the thing that gets rid of me-- commenting on others work all the time is stupid- it can influence your juice in a good way and it can be a fucking distraction reading other ppls stuff- i think that i may have to 'duck out' if the rules increase- if my writing is on there- i should have a 'say' if it gets locked :oops: :lol: :shock:
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

creativesoul

Postby Doreen Peri » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:49 pm

creativesoul wrote:
who decides who 'locks' a piece that is on going on here? i think that may be the thing that gets rid of me-- commenting on others work all the time is stupid- it can influence your juice in a good way and it can be a fucking distraction reading other ppls stuff- i think that i may have to 'duck out' if the rules increase- if my writing is on there- i should have a 'say' if it gets locked :oops: :lol: :shock:

The moderators of the artlog forums decide when to lock their own pieces.

The only other pieces on the site which have been locked have been locked by me and later deleted. Those incidents have been EXTREMELY rare. Recently I locked then removed 2 threads where people were complaining about another site. I did it because it's not proper netiquette to use Studio8 to complain about how other sites operate.

Before that? I can't remember the last time I locked a thread during the past 10 years.

Steve Plonk is the moderator of this particular forum, his artlog. He was the one who locked the threads in this forum.

PS ... There is only ONE "rule" on this site and it's been that way since it opened in 2004. That rule is RESPECT. Respect for each other and respect for copyright. We've never had any other rules, the rules are NOT increasing, and the rules will never increase. Where did you get the idea that there were rules here? And also, which threads are you irritated about having been locked? Can you direct me please?

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Postby creativesoul » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 pm

I have had the experience of really being "!on" a writing roll- and mingo locking it-
It felt so rude and painful I barely respond to his writing anymore.
People need to realize that sometimes- this might be the only entrance to my heart
Shut me out?
Really? Without any communication-
It felt like " breaking up" since then I have not been cozy
With anyone on here- i felt too much apparently- maybe none of it was freak-
Real- I guess I will just have to get over it somehow- but really
One for those that are free and do not turn Thier backs on people - slamming doors in your face- it should be said by someone- I would never do that to anyone- hippies- natives- bikers- artists- it is not ok
In my world we welcome people and feed them and love them and listen to them- so I put a "LOCKED " on my heart- now no one can hurt me- give it your best shot- peace
I think that responding in this way
Saying that sometimes it feels cold in there is an understatement -
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

creativesoul

Postby Doreen Peri » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:37 pm

Try not to take the internet so seriously. Mingo's a great guy! I'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you by locking his thread. In the artlogs, the moderators of their own forum are allowed to end a conversation if they want. That's all! It was nothing personal, I'm sure!

If you want your own artlog, I'd be happy to set it up for you!

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 7th, 2015, 2:32 pm

Re: A Horse Whisper

Postby Steve Plonk » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:25 pm
Folks, please refrain from commenting off topic on my threads. I will see if I can move these
comments onto a new thread, called Why I lock threads, etc.

Steve Plonk
No.

You can try to separate them and move them to a new thread in your column, however, I don't think your moderator privileges are set that way.

This is the internet. People write off-topic comments all the time. Sorry you didn't like it, but I had to address creativesoul's concerns. That's my job.

You can always lock this thread and start a new one.

Oh, and by the way, the title of your thread is "Why I lock threads, Etc.", so THEREFORE, none of creativesoul's posts or my replies to her were "off topic". They were RIGHT ON TOPIC.

-Doreen Peri, site owner

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » April 7th, 2015, 2:38 pm

Hey, Doreen, that's exactly why I created this topic that you commented in. Yes, I don't like
folks commenting way off topic. All your comments are preserved here in
this new topic where they belong. :) Good suggestions...Thanks, Doreen. I get it. :D

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 7th, 2015, 3:23 pm

Well, good. Glad you were able to achieve your goal. I didn't think moderators had those permissions to separate posts and create new topics with them. I thought only Administrators had those permissions. I'm happy you're happy.

It's your forum.

Please keep in mind that I cannot guarantee how long studio8 will remain online. I don't have a job and it costs for hosting. So, I advise you to save any posts you want to save into separate files. Of course, I advise the same for posting on ANY website.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm

Also, I just read your entire first post on this thread and I would like it if you would please refrain from telling people what they're allowed to post and what they aren't allowed to post.

Yes, I set up a "column" for you at your request. The purpose of the column is to write a newspaper column. They're supposed to be essays, opinions, articles, like columnists write.

At any rate, no moderator of any column or artlog can tell people what they can and cannot post.

That's because if you published your column in a newspaper or an online newspaper, there would be multiple reactions from multiple readers, so it should be the same here.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » April 9th, 2015, 7:50 am

Doreen, I understood that I may edit my own column. At no time, yet, have I told people what to say in so many words. I would PREFER that they stay on topic. Otherwise I will start a new topic & move the comments to a better fit. That is all that I am saying or doing. I have also asked people for suggestions...If folks find a topic with a better fit, then they may post there :lol: .

Doreen, Newspapers edit their letters & columns & remove or ask people to retract inflammatory remarks. I don't expect anything less. I just ask, like you do, for people to be respectful on my columns, etc. I try to voice my opinion also & try to be respectful.

Lately, I've had technical problems with my computer & will not be able to answer people
right away. I hope I have clarified my situation. Thanks again. I am trying to tread lightly
on others feelings. I didn't know Creative Soul was having problems with Mingo. :( :shock: I was unaware anyone had any problems with me at all. :?: Mingo's a great person & a long
time member. I personally like everyone in this group of forums. :) 8)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » April 9th, 2015, 5:58 pm

OK. That's all fine.

But I was just saying that each and every online news column has no moderating of the responses. They don't delete inflammatory comments, for instance. They only delete spam. The whole idea of the column is to create awareness and conversation with people in reaction to the column, and many of them may disagree with each other. Search for columnists Washington Post, for instance, and you will see many inflammatory remarks about columns. If you feel remarks have gone off topic and you want to move them to a different thread, that's OK, I guess... but I can't tell you how people will react to their comments being moved. :)

I like everyone who posts here, too. :)

Return to “Life in the Horse Lane”