CD: the Music Of Tuva

Post audio files & youtube videos.
WIREMAN

CD: the Music Of Tuva

Post by WIREMAN » September 4th, 2004, 9:49 am

.......finally arrived and I'm in ecstatic state......I waited and waited and it finally came.....throat singing and instruments from central asia....if ya ever have seem genghis blues this is the stuff......undescribably awesome.......now back to my reverie.....mark

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 4th, 2004, 5:43 pm

I have a "Genghis Blues" poster that was signed by one of the directors of the movie and I also have a copy of the movie and the soundtrack to it as well. Plus I have a couple of Tuvan songs on tape as well. Yes I like that type of music too. Very powerful and thought provoking.

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 4th, 2004, 7:45 pm

ya know when I 1st saw genghis blues i was blown away.......hookah cafe just arrived time to check that one out......mark

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 4th, 2004, 8:18 pm

What is Hooka Cafe like????

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 5th, 2004, 3:25 pm

hookah cafe's great....Hamza el Din is on it a cut from the Gift cd.....and a bunch of other great stuff from the middle east..........

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 5th, 2004, 5:09 pm

I see so it's traditional arabic music then????

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » September 5th, 2004, 6:59 pm

not really...there are elements of jazz and it's actually pretty progreessive..............mark

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » September 5th, 2004, 10:04 pm

Sounds like they came onto the scene not too long ago.

frollostone

Post by frollostone » September 18th, 2004, 8:31 pm

I don't have Hookah Cafe, but the name is ringing a bell. Is it some kind of jazz-rai? Wait - let me do a search ... ah, there it is. Found it on Amazon. The reviewers make it sound like chilled fusion exotica, which makes me think, "Ouch," but if you say it's good then I'm willing to give it a shot if I ever get the chance.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » September 20th, 2004, 6:10 pm

a friend of mine is learning Tuvan throat-singing
He's also the best didjeridoo player I've ever heard. Granted, I haven't heard all that many, but he does things that I didn't know were possible with the thing. At some point I'm gonna get together with him and some other friends who play djembes or didjeridoos or whatever and we're gonna record a primal jam album. We jam all the time at parties, and it's always good

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » September 21st, 2004, 12:56 am

mars,

ah, the didgeridoo. There was a great garage band in Dallas a few years ago called Sofaking. The main instrument was the didgeridoo. It was a ten foot long piece of pvc tubing. I'm guessing about 3" in diameter, with a microphone at the end. It was an electric didgeridoo I guess. But it provided this great drone for the quitars and drums to play against.

Even though I have to do breath tricks to get the sounds out of the flute that I do, I never been able to master the didgeridoo. Of course I've never tried that hard.
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

frollostone

Post by frollostone » September 24th, 2004, 8:53 pm

There's a Finnish band called Gjallarhorn who use the didj to replace the drone of the more traditional native bagpipe, and it works beautifully. I wonder, however, how the people up in the NT feel about their traditional male-only instrument being waved blithely around the world and tootled away on in suburban lounge rooms. For example -

http://www.mills.edu/LIFE/CCM/DIDJERIDU ... hread.html

Do any of you have World Network's Tuvinian Throat singers and musicians? There's a sygyt/kargyraa track on there sung by an eleven-year-old, and thr idea of that low growl coming out of such a young throat gives it a terrific frisson. (I'm probably giving in to the lure of novelty, I know, but still, the kid does a genuinely good job for an amateur.) Yat-Kha gives me a buzz as well. Cock-rock combined with kargyraa, combined with that hose-hoof-beat that runs through the traditional music of that area makes me kick up my heels and ponder the inventiveness of humankind.

Return to “Music, Spoken Word & Video”