Show Me the Way to Go Home

Post audio files & youtube videos.
Steve Plonk

Show Me the Way to Go Home

Post by Steve Plonk » December 5th, 2011, 12:24 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5-AgyCW ... re=related

This was Grandpa's favorite song--my Dad liked it, too, and we used to
sing it altogether...by The California Ramblers, 1925...a good version... :D
The California Ramblers were a popular and prolific jazz group from the 1920s, that recorded hundreds of songs under many different record labels throughout the 1920s. Three of the members of the band, Red Nichols, Jimmy Dorsey, and Tommy Dorsey, would go on to front big bands in later decades.

The original bandmembers were from Ohio, but chose the name California Ramblers because they thought people would be less inclined to listen to a jazz band from the Midwest. The "Ramblers" came from the name of one of the venues where they had played, the "Ramblers Inn" in Pelham, New York. The band was instantly successful, and would remain well-known throughout the decade. Perhaps the most prolific recording group in the 1920s.

The Ramblers recorded originally for Columbia Records, and then, in conjunction with their manager Ed Kirkebey, agreed to waive all royalties to Columbia for the right to record for other companies under different names. They recorded for nearly every independent label in the U.S., Canada and the U.K., using over 100 unique aliases.

Arcadia

Re: Show Me the Way to Go Home

Post by Arcadia » December 18th, 2011, 10:08 pm

it sounds like a very end-of-the-year song...! :lol: I found this version with big capital letter for the lyrics...!!!!!!! :wink:

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » February 17th, 2012, 1:19 pm

Arcadia, I liked the original version, which I posted better...The Emerson, Lake, & Palmer version has lost the wonderful flavor of the original "Show Me the Way
to Go Home". It's nice that the lyrics are printed though... :)

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » August 14th, 2020, 5:15 pm

Time to refresh this old heartwarming tune.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » June 10th, 2023, 4:49 pm

Time to refurbish this wonderful song.

Return to “Music, Spoken Word & Video”