Post by sweetwater » June 12th, 2013, 2:06 pm

a_beautiful_day.mp3

Attachments
a_beautiful_day.mp3
(14.73 MiB) Downloaded 301 times

Michael

Re: a guitar piece

Post by Michael » June 19th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Very sweet, sweetwater. Sustaining notes creates a cacophony that’s really easy on the ear.

There’s also a sort of limited crescendo, so to speak. It’s like reading or watching a good mystery.

This isn’t to mention that this piece really hops.

I like it.

To friendship,
Michael

sweetwater

Post by sweetwater » June 24th, 2013, 5:29 pm

why cacophony ?

Michael

Post by Michael » June 25th, 2013, 9:39 am

I hear, with my old musicians' ears, cacophonous sounds created by notes extended by reverb or echo effects that clash with the chords being played.

To put it simply, because that’s the easiest way for an old guy like myself to understand it, in one measure there’s a “C” which is tied to a “C” in the next measure. (I’ll go to the keyboard later and give you exact examples). The chord played in that first measure is a “C” chord. However, in the next measure, during which the “C” note is still “ringing”, so to speak, I hear, for example, a B flat chord. Obviously, there’s going to be cacophony if I hear a “C” while a B flat chord is being played. This is not exact, as I already mentioned.

To be sure, sweetwater, when I mentioned that the sound pleases me, I wasn’t being facetious or critical. The sound really does please me. I believe it’s a natural function of hearing a note that’s not part of the chord that’s being played “behind” it, so to speak, which is a function of reverb or echo, two effects of which I make plenty of use.

And, that’s the cacophony to which I refer.

This was a quick answer because I really don’t know the exact key the song is in or the notes/chords that you use. I’ll figure that out and be more precise with where the clash is/clashes are. I was under the impression that you do that intentionally for effect and, in my humble opinion, the effect is a positive one.

Of course, I hope very much that you realize that I pointed such clash out because I found it to be a positive thing. If you, somehow, think that it was negatively critical, I apologize for the misunderstanding.

If I led you to believe that I don’t know enough about music to make such a comment, I apologize for misleading you in that conclusion as well.

CKA,
Michael
Attachments
Keyboard.gif
Keyboard.gif (200 Bytes) Viewed 1044 times

Return to “Music, Spoken Word & Video”