recapturing the old tiimes

Post audio files & youtube videos.
Glorious Amok

recapturing the old tiimes

Post by Glorious Amok » August 28th, 2004, 11:24 am

sometimes i like to go back in time, and try out the music i missed when i was too young and too afraid to explore.

i recently added 'the essential devo' to my cd collection, i never knew much more of them than 'whip it' and 'are we not men?' i didn't realize they also did 'the girl u want' and covers of 'secret agent man' and the stone's 'satisfaction' which was apparently their debut performance on SNL in 1978.

we also recently acquired patti smith's 'horses' which i find to be an incredibly sexy album, her cover of 'gloria' and especially the title track have increasing rhythms that gain in intensity and ultimately climax, leaving me blushing and warm. there's even a track that is just her voice and a guitar, but somehow it sounds almost techno-y in it's spiralling revolutions.

a lot of this was music that my friends listened to when i was in school. but in those days, whatever you had was your own, and you didn't skip arpund much musically. i was a part of the 'rocker' circle, even tho i listened to more electronic synth music, which was then considered more 'new wave' and being inbetween those two music groups was being inbetween enough already, so i didn't explore much outside of those two areas.

ever go back and discover the music that got away?
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

WIREMAN

Post by WIREMAN » August 28th, 2004, 12:41 pm

I constantly go back.......with this computer and all the sites and music available it's mind boggling....just got into axis bold as love by jimi and it's awesome....i always used to listen to my electric lady land and somehow never got axis.......there was a time when jazz ruled my goin' back time......bird ...miles ....trane ....lady day.....that music is unbelievable don't ya know.......mark

mnaz

Post by mnaz » August 30th, 2004, 4:30 pm

Yeah... Jimi...

I can't believe he's escaped my collection thus far.... I will remedy that
immediately.... I heard a couple of his tunes on some classic rock
station the other day, and they jumped out and grabbed me, as if to
say, "where have you been"?

And I picked up some Velvet Underground awhile back.

But I confess, most of what I "return to" are places I've already been to some extent; I'm just going back to see what I might have missed and filling in the gaps. In high school, my holy trinity of funk, punk, and reggae ascended, and I've been mostly building on its power and possibility ever since. It's a good thing.

preston

Post by preston » September 7th, 2004, 6:03 pm

I just downloaded some tracks off of the new Roger McGuinn CD.
You may remember him from the Byrds. (or you may not)

Which took me back to the early days of American folk/rock.

I remember making the switch from the Beach Boys to the Byrds ... somewhere around the mid to late 60's.

And every once in awhile I gotta go back through my Steely Dan collection and see if they really are as good as I thought they were.
And they always are.

8)

Return to “Music, Spoken Word & Video”