Recline of the West (post-election sour grapes)

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Recline of the West (post-election sour grapes)

Post by mnaz » January 13th, 2005, 4:35 pm

Watch TV in the basement with the sound off and a stiff drink. Observe Charlie Sheen's rigid, finely-crafted hair. Watch hardbodies rub up on a new corporate thrust. Watch the various barking heads massage their ideological erections. Indulge in a steady erosion of values over a fresh whiskey-rocks, across the wet bar and the avocado shag, same as your parents, if they thought to hide out from passing clouds of mutually-assured nuclear winter (the concurrent plummet and Recline of the East).

Morality will now be classed as the right political affiliation, or a poll with just enough stolen juice to edge over fifty. It will now be about "preserving our way of life".... in self-defense, understand. But morality's uneasy partnership with justice is taking quite a ride. Justice likes to wander a bit, to experiment with new technology. Justice has an acquired taste for the raw capital required to buy the most techno-fresh new set of bombs; now so advanced that they merely level entire foreign neighborhoods and generations by regrettable miscalculation.... all in self-defense, understand. But technological training is so important for our young people. Unimaginable push-button destruction will deliver the greater good eventually, if the right coordinates are entered.

War is now a nationally-televised sporting event, that is, until the ratings drop low enough, similar to bonus college football coverage, spiked with Army recruiting commercials. And in today's volunteer Army, it's essential to draft God for combat duty, if the numbers look right. It's now widely acknowledged that God must distance Himself from all those ill-considered peace and love references in the Good Book. Peace and love have zero political capital, even among those who profess to worship the Prince of Peace. But then, Christ himself never fared too well in the polls either.

Go ahead. Watch the fissures spread. Observe the continental plates of civilization ordered into collision. Note the unswept wreckage along the fault lines, where just yesterday, the Freedom Forces proclaimed their latest acquisitions. These things have always been fueled by consuming, molten fire. So hit the ice-maker and quench it with another well-deserved round.

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » January 13th, 2005, 9:19 pm

Mnaz, believe it or not your post gives me hope that all is not numbed to no return and lost.
It's unquenchable, although the temporary flight to an altered state gives comfort....if I'm reading you right.

Your post has however, dried my own tears I seem to have no control over today, tears of frustration, bewilderment, sadness and anger.
I found out yesterday, that a job I had been promised and trained for, was given at the last minute, to a "personal friend" of the employer instead.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
goddamnshitfuckpiss! Why promise a job to someone who needs the work so bad, then turn around and give it to someone who really doesn't, but is a friend?
Oh yeah, I forgot this is America. This is where lies, deceit, greed and manipulation for the betterment of a few talentless people are the order of the day! And if I object to that, i'm a crazy!

Tommorrow is another day. Actually, I'm already ahead of the game. I cringe at the thought of what millions of people will do when they lose everything, which, they will. At this rate, its only a matter of time. I only hope that by that time, I'll be able to help.

Meanwhile, I'll get up and wipe butt (literally) for 4 hours tommorrow, and hope that an opportunity for a few more hours of work each day, falls out of the sky. Or maybe a wad of money will flash at me from the side of the road. Just enough to pay the rent.....

(I found out today that I could support Stella via Social Security if I were dead!
Funny, I never thought something like that would seem like a viable option.)

Bottoms up!
H 8)

Zlatko Waterman

Post by Zlatko Waterman » January 14th, 2005, 12:55 am

mnaz:

You touched the two most important nerves:

too much tv and too techno . . .

I realize that without ANY techno you wouldn't be reading this.

But paper hasn't gone away, and neither has the profoundly sweet and intricate code called language.

Good swatch of misery-- a real jeremiad . . .

--Z

mnaz

Post by mnaz » January 14th, 2005, 2:38 pm

To Hes & Zlatko...

Many thanks. How can people so uncritically support a President, simply based on his self-proclaimed connection to moral values, when this same President and his Administration have committed so many openly dishonest and immoral acts? How can this President be so unquestioningly accepted as one who has been "chosen" by God? Has everyone forgotten about the concept of "false prophets"?

Hes.... I´m sorry to hear about your lost opportunity.... my hope would be that whoever got the job also really needed it and will do a good job, but it sounds like that isn´t the case.... if so, it´s pretty inexcusable for them to break their promise to you, as they did.... no integrity whatsoever.

mnaz...

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » January 14th, 2005, 9:03 pm

I ask the same questions Mnaz, how can people just let it all go to hell, be lied to, suffer losses, murders, etc.

I see it all trickling down too. If you are not willing to backstab, or manipulate or even trample people, you can't get a decent job anymore. And you better be willing to work for peanuts too! And you better be willing to do the bidding of some underqualified boss too, even if you know it's wrong!
The George Bush rules of order.

I hereby pronounce myself "The Singing Scullery Maid."
Work is gonna come pourin in once my ad hits the paper.
I'm my own damn boss.
All the money, mine.

I just gotta let go of what used to be, and move on.

Thanks for your post
Come visit me and the river any old time....
H 8)

Return to “Stories & Essays”