The night I met Teo Macero

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
eugeneherman

The night I met Teo Macero

Post by eugeneherman » December 2nd, 2010, 6:43 pm

At the notice of the death of Jaco, thru media I learned that Jaco's two brothers were living as I in Melbourne Fla. Meeting Gregory (Jaco's eldest brother) I agreed to frame and hang his graphic art in a show in N.Y.C. at The Lonestar Roadhouse. We spent the few nights ahead of show at Jaco's dad's place in Philly. Jack was one cool dude, gravel voice, hot drum kit player, sang any Frank, Tony any big band standard. 8 oz. beer backs and shots of vodka and cheese steak from a mafia pizza joint. 'Swing Baby!' in that gravel voice. Jack had a stack of photos of he and whoa!... Paul Shaffer, Wayne Shorter, Joe Zaw... Metheny, Sting, on and on... In N.Y. on sat at the show Jack walked up to our booth and said 'Hey everybody, I want you to meet my good friend Teo, Teo Macero... I was drinking a beer and am sure I was drooling beer cuz I was reeling to meet someone whose name I had only read some sumthin' hundred times on the back of vinyl jackets. Teo sat with us and allowed how he had to pay $100 apiece for two LP's of his that he no longer had copies of and how the last divorce had cost him that house in Long Island... He was very interested in what Gregory and I were working on and thinking about our own projects... A truly grand, gracious and warm cat... Jack was all over the lady I was hittin' on and I was sure they were old friends but Lyn told me although she knew Jaco for years had never met his dad. Teo and Jack... two of the best musicians and coolest people I have ever met!

dadio

Re: The night I met Teo Macero

Post by dadio » December 10th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Interesting article.

Return to “Stories & Essays”