Eyes awkwardly dancing at the 99¢ Store

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
Lucy!

Eyes awkwardly dancing at the 99¢ Store

Post by Lucy! » March 10th, 2005, 12:11 pm

It was at Jack's 99¢ Store
In the City
Where the buzzing of a million different creatures sounds like a noontime serenade
Winter was nestled in my bones like an ingrown nail
I was amusing myself with the toy section when a tall chunk of warmth slinked by me. My eyes followed his trail and he stopped a few feet away from me, where the home goods were. I attempted to look away but it was too late. His burnt caramel eyes punched me in the ear so that I couldn't hear my then boyfriend calling out my name, looking for me. Neither of us smiled. He looked the way my homeade cinnamon chocolate chip cookies taste like- decadent, delicious, warm, with a enough spice to tease the senses.
Our eyes were awkwardly dancing and shyness enveloped me, his intensity was burning a hole in soul.
"Luce, I'm gonna buy this, I'll be on the line" my boyfriend said from a distance, spotting me. I nodded and told him I'd be right there, still distracted, eager to have torn myself from the heat that was so terribly close.
I slowly walked away, attempting to escape the eyes that seemed to have glazed over my intellect. When I was far enough to safely look, I saw his curly mane buried in some exotic glassware. I was inexplicably relieved- and then he looked up and straight into me.
I think I smiled.

Return to “Stories & Essays”