american

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
creativesoul

american

Post by creativesoul » June 14th, 2014, 6:54 pm

she was an american. she worked for the justice dept- she was turned on by guns and surrvival- she had gray hair and attitude of a cop- her sweet lil voice didnt quite match her body language- she reeked of manipulation.she functioned well with reward and punishment- she was raised that way and that is what the system taught her, but it was not working anymore- all those thoughts had gone wild- like a deck of cards- thrown up towards the sky- she then went on a rant for whatever cause she thought up today which ultimately served her.
this was the AMERICAN way-
there is a smell that people omit when they are nervous- or when there is a motive-it is like sweat on the brow- or a upper lip-
the whole room smells like too much scent under the arms- under the long sleeve shirt- and baby powder- i will never understand anyone liking the smell of baby powder- are you nuts? did you not have children?
did your life not smell like babies and children for 14 years? i see the American eating in resturants, out of boxes, and living in nice lil houses with mowed lawns and flower beds-
i see the things that are old fading out and the new and beautiful emerging- i couldnt do that before- i relied on other people for things they could not give me-
she thinks if she works real hard she can get what she wants- or that if she asks nicely that people should do it- NO
IS NOT SOMETHING SHE IS USED TO
in other countries, people feel lucky when there is food at the store- when there is clean water-
AMERICA woman pulls into the gas station with the biggest truck you can get and eats a dried pepper stick and a hunk of cheese while dreaming of a milkshake at burgerville= where denial is thick as sauce.
sugar is all she wants- what was i thinking? i did nOt know people glom onto me because i am funny- i did nOt know that people get so needy they are oppressive= i didnt know that i cannot live with people- they drive me fucking nutz= with thier lil dogs that bark and endless stories of hardship- i am asleep at the wheel to the gym away from atrophy and the meta-morphis of so many sadness and sicknesses absessing -festering in elder s body- while she hooks people in to taking care of her- the good american woman agrees to take care of her -trained tosacrsfice the self, for the job, for the family- all that bullshit they sell you to suck alll the life out of you- while you can still think- run-=============================== the smells do not bother her because she was an officer- and she will eat cheese and smell nothing- she has not had sex in 12 years and said she would not want to be with someone and have to do that all the time= huh?
that i s very american.
lazy
europeon men may have some rather disturbing chracter assets and defects- but let me tell you- they know how to make a woman love them-courtship and rommance and sex- in AMERICA- you get sex like a side order- people have no time for love and intimacy- that was the 90 s baby-
and the stories- the cop stories- from the woman that could barely get out of that blur chair when i first met her- 80 pounds over weight- i saw her at starbucks with the same personality as the drunks i have known and love= double pump mocha and a brownie- that paper flew over my head and she inhaled it- and then she was wired- like people on cocaine -
now she eats synthetic sugar and she has lost 30 pounds- but - oh -
the american dream- that i cannot seem to get myself to dream- my world comes from chile and kauai.... and africa and italy- america is where i was born-----and i found a secret world with a magic door and no body needs to go to that party with me-ingrid micaelson music and cobblestone streets in mexico taught me that pizza back home was no good
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

mnaz

Re: american

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2014, 2:46 am

sugar and salt and fat and pedal to the metal, and heavy fuel, and everything measured in dollars and horsepower-- yeah, sounds about right.

don't get me wrong. i like sugar and salt and fat and heavy fuel, all that. maybe i'm infected with it ... god i hope not, but, probably.

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » July 30th, 2014, 3:14 am

Yep get a bike
reason is over rated, as is logic and common sense-i much prefer the passions of a crazy old woman, cats and dogs and jungle foliage- tropic rain-and a defined sense of who brings the stars up at night and the sun up in the morning---

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2014, 3:18 am

no, that's a whole different detour in itself. the bike thing.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » July 30th, 2014, 9:57 pm

listen to the lady and get a goddamn bike Mark - you got the whole state of Nevada to roam in you lucky bastard - you not only got mountains & uplands but FLATS - for miles - and almost NO rain days most of the year - shit it don't get any better than that for a pedal freak - besides we all need detours - the main road don't no way prove out to always be where the real action is at - 8)
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 31st, 2014, 12:09 am

i thought she meant a motorcycle . . .

the mingo

Post by the mingo » July 31st, 2014, 8:01 am

O sorry - you're right - maybe she did - bicycle lover here - jumped from assumption right to conclusion without any pesky brain work - sorrysorry - fuck! :shock:

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 31st, 2014, 8:33 am

i did a lot of bicycling in my younger days. i have respect and love for that. i still have my cannondale road bike that i used to ride forever it seems . . . maybe i'll get back on it some day.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » July 31st, 2014, 11:53 am

I got back into it the middle of last summer, been at it ever since - rediscovered the kick of it - loving the hell right out of it and gonna ride 'em til I can't spin the pedals anymore - I left the bicycle behind when I got my first car - didn't realize then that 50 years later they would be waiting for me as loyal a friend as ever - I don't race or go for the speed machines but I get around - get the very best parking spaces, usually right by the front door of any establishment I care to enter - I am but little affected by the game of fuel prices for transportation and oil only comes into play for lubrication - no state fees for registration or licensing - no insurance costs - a bicycle is by far the least costly form of tranportation there is second only to walking - when I started to ride last year I hadn't been on a bicycle in decades & by the time I got to the top of my first hill the romance of it all was gone and I felt I had made another in a long line of mistakes but ... I kept at it because I had the first stirrings of joy at the top of that hill too - today I go to town and back here to the lodge once a day, it's a ten mile round trip - I also take a ride in the evening for at least that distance -
and it's not the road leading me on - it's the bike itself - on it my lungs are wind, my legs are wind, on it I am motion itself - distilled down and pressed together and multiplied & made to go - I'm not dealing with the kind of topography you have out there - I'm dealing with an ice age landscape back here in the great state of Yew Nork - this land was sculpted by each of the last four ice ages - each of those ice sheets, especially the last, towered above our tallest mountains by more than a mile and they left behind in their retreats ridges and valleys and glacial melt features - I get to ride all that and yes I've done my share of cursing about it but ... I've learned to appreciate it - even to see it as a gift - thx to a bike - you make the climb to the top of a ridge you can ride that ridge for miles in some cases and it's relatively level the whole way - then you get to the end and begin the drop down and in most cases that drop is swift & steep - a hawk or falcon must feel the same sense when it folds its wings to plummet earthward for prey - you use your brakes to shave off velocity and still you shoot out of that coasting like a bat out of hell at the bottom and fly out onto the flats with a smile on your face several inches wide - and that's just a single moment - a single moment of the experience - no other type of vehicle ever gave me that in my gut - God somebody stop me! It's just I would see everyone on a bike as you can tell - anyways, you said you have a bike, a Cannondale, which I'm told is a fine machine - there's nothing stopping you 8)

creativesoul

Re: American

Post by creativesoul » July 31st, 2014, 1:27 pm

Yeah ! Nice!

the mingo

Post by the mingo » July 31st, 2014, 10:06 pm

Thx Jana - which reminds me, did you ever get that bike you spoke of?

creativesoul

Re: americtan

Post by creativesoul » July 31st, 2014, 11:37 pm

Yep

the mingo

Post by the mingo » August 1st, 2014, 6:41 am

what did you get & got a pic & do ya ride for the love of it? Tell me one of your rides -

creativesoul

Post by creativesoul » August 30th, 2014, 1:30 pm

it is a huffy- but i have my eye on an electric bike- that way when i have no air i will be able to move- the thing is a thousand bucks- but really- the american- oh yeah back to her-she made mac and cheese one night-! and two hot dogs!
then the other night 'chili con carne' and a baked potatoe
the girl is in the kitchen now-
putting things away out of the dishwasher
i told her- i wasnt going to clean until i moved out- since i have been doing it for 2 years while she went everywhere- and now- im moving to the city to live alone- i hear that song- AMERICAN WOMAN in the background
yep

the mingo

Post by the mingo » August 30th, 2014, 5:00 pm

I've been looking at them too - not seriously yet but maybe for the day when i really can't pedal distance - that day is not yet however 8)

Return to “Stories & Essays”