The bomb

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

The bomb

Post by mnaz » July 26th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Out of New Mexico's scattered juniper and pinon like chocolate chips on saffron dough, deep into ponderosa pine, the enormous Jemez caldera rose northward-- fifteen miles across, one of earth's largest. Millions of years ago it blew a hundred cubic miles of earth, which dwarfs the largest eruption in modern witness-- Krakatoa's cataclysmic thirteen cubic miles in 1883 in the East Indies-- a blast that erased most of an an island and was heard three thousand miles away. Jemez is a sleeping giant now-- only a few vents and hot springs hint at its conduit to deep earth power-- but near its great rim, in secret labs at Los Alamos, we conjured the bomb. An ironic followup.

You're traipsing around this desert making it rain, turning it gray, drenching unquenchable lava flows and sandstone cliffs, conquistador ruins and God hubris, even cliff homes and kivas of the Anasazi mysteriously abandoned eight hundred years ago. Was it a marauding menace? Was it drought? You could fix that now; you could turn this desert into cabbage farms. But your new rain powers can't drench the Los Alamos whirlwind, nor heal its massive, vile craters gouged in the desert's countenance, where our own eruptions escalated wildly and pulled up earth's guts in surreal mushroom puffs. Another cosmic reaper on the horizon, this one self-channeled.

mnaz

Re: The bomb

Post by mnaz » July 26th, 2014, 9:37 pm

Hey, it's not all bad. I also believe human consciousness is going through a "flash evolution" of sorts. Not much choice, really.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » July 28th, 2014, 9:39 am

I figure it's remarkable we have any notions at all - Thx Mark - 8)
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2014, 2:08 am

and exploding notions at that . . . the population boom, the tech BOOM, the death throes of empire, illusions of control, the desperation of religious resolution, the whole fucking ball of wax as we pass through the eye. it's too big now; can't seem to directly communicate with it; indirect is about the best you can hope for.

and the blackberries are ripe now. and it's warm.

whoaisme

Post by whoaisme » July 30th, 2014, 12:49 pm

cosmic reaper, eh? that's got a certain ring to it.

and they called it death all their fear and unknown.
"From the sudden invasion of a mind not my own in the world. This I will record. For whom? For m y s e l f, beyond denial and beyond indifference." - Philip Lamantia

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2014, 2:10 pm

Yeah, like asteroid strikes and supervolcano blasts. Cosmos-- not always a user-friendly address over the millions and billions of years. Sometimes its current inhabitants just get "shucked" . . .

One can take the human equation too seriously when writing like this-- what does it amount to in the face of nature's power? Yet we try to pry into that fearsome power-- hitch onto it. The biggest nuke detonated so far-- Tsar Bomba-- amounted to about a quarter of Krakatoa's power-- so we've made inroads. The Tsar damn near knocked the planes that dropped it out of the sky ...

whoaisme

Post by whoaisme » July 30th, 2014, 3:00 pm

i'm quite happy to be something so tiny in this universe i can't even fathom how tiny i am and likewise can't fathom how vast this universe is. words just sometimes don't do it.

cosmic nihilism?

back to the title of this post: i know nothing about this tsar bomb, or bombs in general, except i don't like them. they don't do it either.
"From the sudden invasion of a mind not my own in the world. This I will record. For whom? For m y s e l f, beyond denial and beyond indifference." - Philip Lamantia

mnaz

Post by mnaz » July 30th, 2014, 3:24 pm

Yes, funny how we coexist with infinitude so naturally, and try to name it ...

And I don't like bombs either. I don't even like guns.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » August 13th, 2014, 5:31 pm

rewrote this as:

Out of New Mexico's scattered juniper and pinon like chocolate chips on saffron dough, deep into ponderosa pine, the enormous Jemez caldera rose northward, fifteen miles across, one of earth's largest. Millions of years ago it blew a hundred cubic miles of earth, which dwarfs the largest eruption in modern witness-- Krakatoa's cataclysmic thirteen cubic miles in 1883 in the East Indies-- a blast that erased an island and was heard three thousand miles away. Jemez is a sleeping giant now-- only a few hot vents hint at its conduit to deep earth power-- but near its great rim, at Los Alamos in secret labs, we conjured the bomb. An ironic followup.

My new rain powers won't douse that whirlwind, nor heal its massive gouges in the desert's face. Our own blasts escalated madly and vomited earth's guts in surreal mushroom puffs-- a new cosmic reaper, though less fearsome than cosmos itself-- supervolcanoes and asteroids. Cosmos simply shucks its inhabitants in a blink at times. Yet we want that power, and we've made inroads. The largest bomb so far-- Tsar Bomba, by the Russians-- had a full quarter of Krakatoa's power. Damn near knocked the plane that dropped it out of the sky.

Return to “Stories & Essays”