The difference between poetry and prose

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
Doreen Peri
Site Admin

The difference between poetry and prose

Post by Doreen Peri » October 2nd, 2018, 2:42 pm

What is the difference between poetry and prose? You know the difference. :) Tell me your definition of the difference.

sasha

Re: The difference between poetry and prose

Post by sasha » October 2nd, 2018, 5:05 pm

Great question. From my perspective, it's a matter of degree - like "what's the difference between cold & hot", or "hard & soft" - ice is cold, fire is hot - but what about grass? dirt? wood? Granite is hard, down is soft - but what about leather? sinew? rubber? They're somewhere in-between.

Okay, what's that got to do with your question? Well, my answer needs to be taken in context with that 1st paragraph. I see poetry as being as much about the music of the words as their meaning. Prose on the other hand relies more on the meanings of those words. Poems are often internal, and its stories told subjectively; prose (mine, anyway) is more external, and tries to tell stories objectively. That's not to say that poetry can't be concrete (think haiku), nor that prose can't be lyrical - but they tend towards opposite ends of a spectrum, like in my analogies. I'm a story-telling kind of guy, and most poetry I've dabbled in is in the same vein. Poetry that's loaded with obscure or intensely personal imagery, or that primarily celebrates the sound or look of the words usually sails uncomprehended over my head. That's not the fault of the poems or their authors, but just a blind spot or bias on my part.

I'd really like to hear from others on this topic - not only for insight into their art, their perspectives might help me become a more rounded writer.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

the mingo

Post by the mingo » October 18th, 2018, 4:56 am

Prose is brick-and-mortar.

Poetry is:

"diamond in the back
sunroof top
big-in-the-seam
with a gangster lean" __________Diamond in the Back - Curtis Mayfield
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 18th, 2018, 11:43 am

prose: is straight ahead, that's the facts jack.

poetry: is instant karma, that's the truth jack

with
prose on the left
poetry on the right

I'll make it through the gotdamn night

mnaz

Post by mnaz » October 18th, 2018, 2:22 pm

Prosetry...

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 23rd, 2018, 8:41 pm

My definition includes, especially, formatting.

Prose is written in paragraph format. It is used for stories, articles, reports, novels. Prose *can* be poetic in its voice using the tools of poetry including metaphor, simile, meter, allusion, etc. But it doesn't have to use those tools. It DOES have to be written in paragraph format. If it is written in lines and stanza format, it isn't prose. It might be prosaic poetry, but it isn't prose.

Poetry is written in lines and stanzas. The formatting is important. Good poetry uses poetic devices such as metaphor, simile, meter, rhyme, allusion, assonance, imagery, etc. These devices *can* be used in prose but they don't have to be used in prose. Some of them should definitely be used in poetry.

To break it down, it can be this simple:

Prose = Writing in paragraphs.
Poetry = Writing in lines and stanzas.

Does anybody agree with me?

Thank you all for your feedback!

Return to “Stories & Essays”