Brain Storm

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
sasha

Re: Brain Storm

Post by sasha » November 24th, 2019, 5:52 pm

Holy crap, Doreen, I'm so sorry to hear that! I've always admired your devotion to physical activity & fitness, you're the last person I'd've expected to experience a cardiac episode. (Don't you just love the euphemisms?) My brother-in-law had a massive coronary a year (or was it two?) ago - and has largely recovered. A few holes in his memory of the event & its aftermath, a reluctance to undertake the kind of household construction jobs he used to - but today he's the same annoying SOB he was before it happened. (And yes, I will deny saying that about him if confronted!) He took his recovery slowly, step by step, and while my sister hovers over him, he seems to be back 98% or better. So I guess I'm saying, take that treadmill easy for now & work your way back up. You know as well as I that training works, but it can't be rushed.

And boy, do I relate to the PTSD - every time I get a little lightheaded (because of my BP meds), I wonder - is this the onset of another stroke? Every time my equilibrium goes a little off - which isn't atypical for a 70-yr old - I wonder, Is it happening again? I'm always looking over my shoulder for the next shadow. But Mr Dog & I still climb Brigham Hill most mornings (not today - sleet, freezing rain, etc), and it feels GOOD to be there when we get there. Something is going to take me out, and it won't be too awfully long before it does - but as someone very wisely just told me,
Doreen Peri wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 3:01 pm
... I don't know what to do but continue...
And I'm sorry your kids have chosen this moment to become distant. My own daughter is also thousands of miles away, and I fear since I'm out of sight, I'm also out of mind. Beyond the obligatory "OMG, are you all right??", I haven't heard much from her. I wonder if denial of our mortality might be making them reluctant to reach out...?

Not much I can tell you that you already haven't figure out. Just keep on keeping on, and work your way back SLOWLY. We're not in our 30s anymore!

All the best, Doreen. Seriously.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 24th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I'm not very patient. I need to pick up some weights and get stronger. Thank you, though!!! I hope I don't rush it because, seriously, I am NOT very patient any more. I don't have time. Thank you Sasha (So sorry to hear about your brother-in-law but glad he's doing so much better!)

And thank you, too, Jack!

Did you guys know that there is an actual PAGE on the damn fricking internet where young people (millenials) make fun of Boomers? REALLY!!!! Did you know that? I just discovered this yesterday. I will provide a link later. (Should you be interested)... WTF? They're making fun of people's health problems and deaths? Hahahaha... Too fucking funny

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 24th, 2019, 11:53 pm

being alone with all that's going on in mind and body is a huge burden to carry. Lucky, doreen, that you know how to reach out so we can hear you. It doesn't add a morning hug but it adds spiritual support.
Kids seem to be a selfish genus. (is that the correct scientific term?) No matter what the age, our own kids seems to think that they come first. My friends tell me about their kids, too. It's also probably evolutionary, but still, darwin, shmarwin, that fact doesn't bring us a cup of tea or a joke.
Doreen, here's to surviving this thing.
Sasha, you know how it goes.
Any of us who's suffered physical pain know that it's a matter of mind and perseverance to get ourselves back into functioning form.
I say - qigong! One of the best energizers ever, minimum movement, maximum results.
Wish you could come to classes over here in Tel Aviv! If you're ever in the neighbourhood.
(hug) (warm cup of tea) (energy)

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 25th, 2019, 11:52 pm

Sasha said,
And I'm sorry your kids have chosen this moment to become distant. My own daughter is also thousands of miles away, and I fear since I'm out of sight, I'm also out of mind. Beyond the obligatory "OMG, are you all right??", I haven't heard much from her. I wonder if denial of our mortality might be making them reluctant to reach out...?
Maybe that's it. They have a hard time dealing with it. Yeah, maybe.

judih said,
being alone with all that's going on in mind and body is a huge burden to carry. Lucky, doreen, that you know how to reach out so we can hear you. It doesn't add a morning hug but it adds spiritual support.
Kids seem to be a selfish genus. (is that the correct scientific term?) No matter what the age, our own kids seems to think that they come first. My friends tell me about their kids, too. It's also probably evolutionary, but still, darwin, shmarwin, that fact doesn't bring us a cup of tea or a joke.
Doreen, here's to surviving this thing.
Sasha, you know how it goes.
Any of us who's suffered physical pain know that it's a matter of mind and perseverance to get ourselves back into functioning form.
I say - qigong! One of the best energizers ever, minimum movement, maximum results.
Wish you could come to classes over here in Tel Aviv! If you're ever in the neighbourhood.
(hug) (warm cup of tea) (energy)
Thank you so much, judih!

Thank you all so much for your friendship and caring and insights! It means a lot to me!
I'll be OK. I feel blessed to have you all to talk to!!!

All of you... Sasha, Jack, Judih ... please take care of yourselves and know how special you are to me.

Return to “Stories & Essays”