Everything Got Too Corporate

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
mnaz

Everything Got Too Corporate

Post by mnaz » May 21st, 2023, 7:43 am

Everything got too corporate. Too monetized. Too ... too ... well, incorrectly pigeonholed as well? Just ... off. Take a band like the Police. They suddenly imploded. If anyone thinks of them at all, it's maybe just for Sting and that godawful Synchronicity bullshit they put out in '83, you know, with that "Every Move" stalker song. Even 80s kids who go a little deeper tend to think of them as little more than that "white boy reggae" band, but did you hear Stewart Copeland's drumming on that song "Contact?" Stewart Copeland is one hell of a drummer. What happened? Wiki wiki...
Compared to most of his 1980s contemporaries, his snare sound was bright and cutting. He is also one of the few rock drummers to use traditional grip rather than matched grip. He is also noted for syncopation in his drumming.
Well, too corporate and too mind-numbingly tribal. Don't even need a drummer anymore. Not that absence of a drummer necessarily negates true music. Even Sly Stone used a drum machine at times.
Last edited by mnaz on May 21st, 2023, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mnaz

Re: Everything Got Too Corporate

Post by mnaz » May 21st, 2023, 2:36 pm

Just some insomniac mindwaves hitting me ... Yeah I'd say 1983 is when it turned. About 2 years into Reagan's Corporate Whoreout. Somewhere in that time frame. The "digital revolution" was underway too-- a new shiny digital glaze starting to wash over us. Ultimately, its goal was to lock up our life's blood in countless blocks of bloodless digits. Anyway, the "New$" used to focus almost exclusively on getting us hate people in foreign nations, but now there's a lot of $$ to be made in making us hate each other right here in America! But I digress. Copeland is one hell of a drummer. Top Ten Rolling Stone. And he composed scores, and opera, and ballet, and stuff for orchestras. A musician. You know, playing instruments not circuit boards, 'tho I guess it all factors in. Man, what have I done with my time!?...

mnaz

Re: Everything Got Too Corporate

Post by mnaz » May 26th, 2023, 12:26 pm

The human race has invented some astoundingly amazing things, and the information, the information! It's everywhere, overflowing! But no one has been able to come up with a bullshit detector... ever so elusive...

Return to “Stories & Essays”