Border Skirmish

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
sasha

Border Skirmish

Post by sasha » July 24th, 2023, 12:42 pm

From where I'm sitting as I write this now, I can see, through the window to my left, a bit of my back yard. A short length of my clothesline crosses the view a few feet from the glass. Beyond it the ground slopes upwards into woods unbroken for at least 2 miles, without a sign of pavement for another mile beyond that. A few months ago, a pair of phoebes took up residence under the overhanging roof above that window, and have since been using the clothesline as a convenient perch. Every now and again, I'll see the line bobbing up and down as if on its own, telling me that at least one of the pair has landed on the rope just out of view. And sometimes they'll land in front of the window. I've rather enjoyed that they're comfortable sharing space with me.

Otherwise, this summer's been atrocious - warm, humid, and wet. The devastation wrought by floods in next-door Vermont and Massachusetts has made national news. Fortunately I'm on high ground, so I've been spared the worst, even though all roads leading in and out pass through wetlands. My post-surgery walking regimen has been sharply curtailed, and any laundry too bulky to be hung from a shower rod has to be carted to a nearby laundromat for drying.

But a few days ago the unrelenting dampness relented, and once the clothesline had dried enough to be pressed into service, I happily draped freshly-laundered bedding over it, to take advantage of the sunlight and a gentle northwest breeze wafting through fragrant woods. It's one of my greatest simple pleasures to slip between two crisp, clean sheets still redolent of the forest.

The phoebes, however, did not seem to share my delight - in fact, their umbrage with me was quite obvious. As I pinned each item to the clothesline, they flitted out of sight from tree to tree, angrily clucking and chipping in vocal disaproval of my actions. If they'd spoken English, it would have been "Who do you think you are? Get that shit outta here!"

The resulting visual change in their landscape was unfamiliar and alarming enough to keep them from landing for the rest of the afternoon, allaying concerns I'd had about their toilet habits. They were still fretting each time I stepped out to assess the linens' dampness. To their undoubted chagrin, I kept the sheets on the line far longer than necessary to simply dry them - I wanted to imbue them with as much of the woodland essence as I could, and continued airing them long after they needed to be. They were still at it when I finally decided, after the sun had moved into the west, that it was time to make the bed. Even as pillowcases dropped one by one into the basket, angry little barks continued issuing from somewhere within an old hemlock at the edge of the yard. "Alright, alright," I laughed aloud. "It's all yours now. Chill!" I hoisted the basket and headed inside.

Fifteen minutes later, the bed was ready for occupancy and I was seated here at the computer. Motion at the corner of my eye caught my attention. It was the clothesline bobbing up and down without visible cause.

I sighed & shook my head. No harm done, I guess.

angry phoebe.jpg
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

saw

Re: Border Skirmish

Post by saw » July 30th, 2023, 8:43 am

aah the beauty of coexistence ....illustrated in a story that was easy to picture......I believe it coexistence, as in...I don't believe I have any more right to the backyard as the creatures that frequent there......many birds, bees, and even lantern flies which Maryland informs us should be squished on sight......it's really too late for that.....they are here....and that's that

I have a friendly battle with the squirrels to leave my tomatoes alone, and have done a pretty job of outwitting them.....I wrapped my tomato cages in chicken wire....and the crop has been very enjoyable....nothing like a slice of vine ripened tomato on toast with a little mayo......

but Lord, the mosquitoes this year are as plentiful as they are ravenous ....alas

I enjoyed your story....it got me to thinking about my own backyard......good luck with your avian friends.....I like the message you get from your inside computer space......the bouncing clothes line...and the reminder that you are not alone
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

sasha

Post by sasha » July 30th, 2023, 11:13 am

I like & share your philosophy of coexistence - that we are just another part of nature, not its lord & master. I had to wage war with ants this spring, but live in peaceful harmony with a few tiny jumping spiders in the tangle of cables behind my workstation. Daddy-longlegs occasionally find their way inside - I think they cling to the outside of the front door and literally drop in when it swings inward for entry. I'm way too fond of them to harm them, and prefer catch-and-release. Likewise the occasional bat that blunders into the house, and I've empirically worked out a protocol for live capture. Wasps, mosquitos, mice, squirrels - not so much. But I address them one by one - no need for genocide.

Enjoy those tomatoes! I tried growing them once, but the the few open patches don't remain sunlit long enough to nurture them. At least that's how I rationalize my failure to produce any fruit. One of my neighbors has a farm stand - I let her do the work for me.

Glad you liked the story, meager though it was - thanks for stopping by.

saw

Post by saw » August 2nd, 2023, 9:31 am

I taught my kids to catch and release
and it does my heart good to see these adults still practicing it
it horrifies me to see a neighbor stomp on a spider outside their house....why ?
or spray an atomized poison on a bee
when my dad died, my brother and I were cleaning out the garage
and we opened a cabinet to nearly choke to death
on rusting cans of insecticides leaking into the air
A whole cabinet full of poisons to attack his unwitting neighbors
he was funny that way
grew up on a farm, but didn't believe in coexistence
of course, he also hated dandelions....
perplexing

sasha

Post by sasha » August 2nd, 2023, 12:50 pm

I got much of my appreciation for nature from my dad - he was always bringing home turtles he'd rescued from the road, and took scrupulous care not to run over snakes or toads with the lawn mower. Once I'd put a toad he'd found into a glass jar, promising Dad I'd make a terrarium for it later - but I didn't, & left it in the jar overnight. By morning I'd forgotten about it. Dad found its dried-out corpse a few days later & read me the riot act. I felt shame, & not just because of the scolding.

To this day, toads make me laugh - they're so oafish, but look so full of themselves. And snakes are beautiful. My then-wife & I were house sitting for my parents once, way back when we were just getting started out in life. We'd made arrangements to have a life insurance agent drop by to give us his spiel. His car pulls into the driveway - parks - he gets out - looks down, jumps back - then repeatedly stomps on something. Knock on the door - we let him in. Before he's even shut the door behind him, he's boasting like Saint-Fucking-George how he's slain a dragon - a serpent, a dangerous Checkered Adder, in our driveway. I go outside to check the carcass. It's a baby milk snake. I tell him what he's actually killed: a beneficial snake so-named because of their tendency to be found in and around barns - not, as Colonial settlers thought, to suckle milk from their cows, but to eat the mice infesting the structures for the stored grain. We did not buy a policy from this clown.

saw

Post by saw » August 2nd, 2023, 2:55 pm

When I was carrying mail, one summer I walked into the yard of 91 year old Mrs. Mcginnity .......She was agitated and animated as she stood looking down at her sidewalk.......there was a small blacksnake sunning himself on the concrete
So, I thought to myself as I grew nearer, that I would gently pick him up and relocate him for her.....But she produced a round point shovel and forcefully ordered me to kill it.....my reply was, " Mrs, Mcginnity. I really don't want to do that".....and she looked me right in the eyes and shouted. "Well, you're not much of a man, are you !?

Still gives me a delight to recall the event

sasha

Post by sasha » August 3rd, 2023, 8:47 am

Whoa... "Well Ma'am, I guess that makes two of us...

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 3rd, 2023, 11:28 am

me, three

Return to “Stories & Essays”