Coincidence

Prose, including snippets (mini-memoirs).
tinkerjack

Coincidence

Post by tinkerjack » May 22nd, 2005, 10:16 am

Coincidence

I was hauling ass on I-40 near the hometown of Casey Jones around Jackson Tennessee when I blew a steer axle tire. The steering wheel was ripped out of my hands and the truck headed down the median strip. I just gave up and said to myself, “I am dead.” Then an episode of The Rockford Files flashed into my head. Rocky was driving a truck pursued by the bad guys, they were shooting at him and he was steering his ass off. Then I said, “ I ain’t dead yet” and I grabbed the wheel and started steering my ass off before the truck crossed the median into on coming traffic. I sent this to her and said “I thanked the good lord” I suppose that is true, I was pretty much a Jesus freak myself back then. It won’t do no good to start throwing a bunch of Buddhist terms at her that I hardly know the meaning of. I try to use my little metaphor of Christ to reach her. I told her it wasn’t me steering that truck because I gave up, I was too scared, I want to try and get her to look at what is on the end of George Bushies theological fork. But I don’t want to lose my soul being a religious whore. What I want her to see is just my desire, just what I want.
free rice

I used to be smart

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » May 22nd, 2005, 11:09 am

i don't know about all that, jack, but thank god for rockford files when you really need them

and cool to see you safe

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » May 22nd, 2005, 3:15 pm

Of faith and morals, one cannot speak honestly for long without hurting feelings. Therefore most people speak dishonestly of the most important subjects
Walter Kaufmann, The Faith of a Heretic.

"One life for ten has always been the diesel driver's code."
Jimmy Martin Widomaker.
Most of all I thank G-d that I did not go over into the on coming traffic.
free rice

I used to be smart

Return to “Stories & Essays”