Does male figure skating really have to be that gay?

Go ahead. Talk about it.
sonofthesun

Does male figure skating really have to be that gay?

Post by sonofthesun » February 17th, 2010, 1:31 am

Being a person oriented to the same sex is fine and all, but really, that shit is just rediculous. They have male semen flowing out of their sequined suits. To me it illigitimizes it. Ok, male figure skating...lets see who can be the gayest while doing some crazy ass shit on skates. Is it now a prerequisite? I did only glance at the screen a few times so i cant state that it was all like that, but from what i saw it was a little silly. If gay isnt a thing dont make it one.
There is no empty space

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 17th, 2010, 9:17 am

sos: If gay isnt a thing dont make it one.

I'd suggest you take your own advice. ;)

Take your eyes off the 'male semen flowing out of their sequined suits' and focus on the tremendous athleticism of the finest ice skaters in the world.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 17th, 2010, 11:02 am

It's like theater. It's a show, a performance! Those are the costumes. Glitter glimmers on the ice. It's spectacular! The male Olympic figure skaters are some of the most strong, athletic men in the world.

I LOVE watching figure skating! It never even occurred to me to think about the athlete's sexuality!

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 17th, 2010, 11:46 am

So true, Dor'... and very misunderstood by so many.

A couple of notes on the competition's costuming which may aid in understanding the theatrics behind the performance -

#1 Plushenko skated to music by Joachin Rodrigo, a blind Spanish composer. Rodrigo composed his Concierto de Aranjuez (for guitar and orchestra) in 1939 (an excellent jazz version by Miles Davis's outstanding album 'Sketches of Spain'). A closer look at his costume will show a Spanish influence not unlike the patterning of a Spanish bullfighter's flamboyant costume.

#2 Evan Lysacek's costume was coordinated with his music - Stravinsky's 1910 masterpiece, Firebird, hence the 'feathery cuffs' of his outfit. (note: Evan worked with clothes designer Vera Wang for his costume which was the first time Wang had ever designed a male's outfit)

Maybe this will put some of the misunderstanding in perspective, eh?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 17th, 2010, 3:45 pm

yes, it is gay.

that's ok, the world is gay too. maybe I should write a poem called "the world is gay."

poetry is gay. doilies are gay. the army is gay.
exclamation marks are gay! gay gay gay, I tell you!

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 17th, 2010, 11:13 pm

I stopped using the word gay for when i'm feeling gay. Now I say stuff like , "that's swell!", or Wheeeeee!

H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 17th, 2010, 11:25 pm

(but do you wear a costume while saying it?)

i just got to watch some speed skating - italy fell and took france down with him (or the opposite). The technique is so powerful - working in teams - so slick compared to relay races on firm ground -

(by the way, cecil and all, my brother made a documentary about Rodrigo and his wife, a lot of beautiful personal details about that exquisite composition and the stimulus for writing it - Shadows and Light - Joaquin Rodrigo at 90, director Larry Weinstein - wish i could send you a copy)

hester_prynne

Post by hester_prynne » February 17th, 2010, 11:28 pm

Ha! ROFL!
H 8)
"I am a victim of society, and, an entertainer"........DW

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 18th, 2010, 1:35 am

Thanks for that link, judih. I take it that site is your brothers site..? I'd love to see his movie on Rodrigo, it sounds like something I'd enjoy very much.

btw: those other artists on the link... are they done by Larry, also?

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 18th, 2010, 3:57 am

hi cecil
My brother's site is Rhombus Media. His filmography is there.

The site linked to is an educational distributor (from what i see on that page)

Larry's made music documentaries for about 30 years or so. His latest film Inside Hana's Suitcase is now making the rounds in Festivals. It's his first film not based on a musician's life, but rather a real Holocaust victim and a wonderful Japanese educator who discovered her suitcase in Auschwitz and brought it to Japan to teach children about the Holocaust.

Another brilliant film but not much to do with this thread.

firsty

Post by firsty » February 18th, 2010, 3:46 pm

i'm wearing a dark blue sweater and jeans, and black boots ... a wool hat to cover my bald head in the wind — but when i have sex, imonna take all that stuff off, baby. nothin gay or straight about clothes. if you see sequins and think: hot man on man action, well — dont blame an ice dancer for your own imagination.
and knowing i'm so eager to fight cant make letting me in any easier.

[url=http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com]Steal This Book Vol 2[/url]

[url=http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?26032]Get some hosting![/url]

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 18th, 2010, 3:55 pm

Thx, judih... your brother is one busy fellow, eh? That's quite a filmography he has not to mention the awards Rhombus has earned. Very impressive and I sure he and his co-horts are equally thrilled with their accomplishments.

I'd love to see several mentioned in the list. I've seen Red Violin on the shelves of our local DVD rental place and I'm not more interested in seeing the movie.

sonofthesun

i am not the perpetuater of the thing

Post by sonofthesun » February 20th, 2010, 5:15 am

i was commenting on my opinion and visual experience i had, and the over the top fagotry of it, its fine to be gay, quite making it a thing, there is no more shock value, or um not nearly so much, its still actually kinda weird...not bad...just strange to me...i dont see it that often in practice, but, it must be natural seing as so many adhere to it, to me the flamboyant takes away from legitimacy, but i quess i must blame the media and "social norms" for that, gay is not wearing a purse and crying, its more similar to apple pie, its not a fringe behavior, it exists at all levels, so quite making it a thing and just let it, over accentuating is bad

welcome to zombieland

where are the normal gay couples in the media?
or is it...how many people are truly honest in their emotions
are we just people of what is expected
There is no empty space

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » February 20th, 2010, 11:23 am

Umm... sonofthesun...

There's no over-the-top "fagotry" in male figure skating. There's nothing that appears gay about it, and nothing at all "flamboyant". I don't know where you're getting this.

They're athletes. It's a performance, a show. Those are costumes which represent the piece they're performing to.

There's nothing inherently gay about it. Nor does it look gay. It just looks like a figure skating performance.

Did you watch any of the figure skating couples performances?

mtmynd

Post by mtmynd » February 20th, 2010, 12:20 pm

sos, would you prefer to watch a 280 lb gay football player on the ice skating his heart out in a performance of his life? :lol:

come on, dude, grow up out of those mis-perceptions you've been indoctrinated into believing. gay is what you make it and that is not always the reality. it's that continuing mindset that you're expressing that results in homophobic reactions that often result in unnecessary violence. there are and always have been and always will be those within any society who exhibit effeminate behavior if they are males and more masculine traits if they are females... nothing new about that. put on your big boy pants and get over it. ;)

Return to “General Discussion”