Obama's Quiet Revolution

What in the world is going on?
Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » April 2nd, 2010, 8:59 pm

Hi ST,
Nice painting! Though, where is the “luxury”? Everyone is sitting, or lying, on (cold, hard) marble; ouch! How many marble chairs and couches do you have around the old homestead? If not so many, are you missing out on the luxurious life? It must be a truly fascinating conversation for no one to notice the lack of upholstery. Theoretical hemorrhoids soon to follow.

ST: Everything NS says sounds good in theory, in the abstract.

NS: Reason enough to bring it into suspicion.

Isn’t it a famous French engineering maxim: “Sure, it works in practice, but will it work in theory?”
NS (Nefarious Saint)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 2nd, 2010, 9:40 pm

So you are saying it works? What works? What are we talking about here? Does it have anything to do with Obama's politics?

Always civil Non Sum
I likes that compadre.

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » April 3rd, 2010, 10:28 am

ST: So you are saying it works? What works?

NS: Why, my "abstracted theories," of course; if only in theory.
(I was commenting to 'your' preceeding commentary's comments. Sea above and below, and then you'll know.)

ST: What are we talking about here?

NS: Your love of marble furniture?

ST: Does it have anything to do with Obama's politics?

NS: You want dots connected? We can do that. It's all connected, after all.

ST: Always civil Non Sum

NS: Some say we must love one another. I'm still working on just being civil. Thanks, for the encouragement.

ST: I likes that compadre.

NS: What I likes is your playfully ecentric originality. It's a pleasure to share a sandbox with you, dude.
NS (Noisome sandbag)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 3rd, 2010, 11:44 am

Sorry I am still confused. I don't understand what you are saying about Obama's quiet revolution.

Non Sum

Post by Non Sum » April 3rd, 2010, 6:32 pm

ST: I don't understand what you are saying about Obama's quiet revolution.

NS: I'm not "saying" anything about Obama's quiet revolution. If I did, it wouldn't be a "quiet" revolution, now would it?

However, I will say this about BHO:
"I sometimes marvel at the extraordinary docility with which Americans submit to speeches." Adlai Stevenson)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 3rd, 2010, 6:41 pm

My favorite quip from Stevenson on politics
... a woman called out to him, "You have the vote of every thinking person!" Stevenson called back, "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!" ...
http://historywired.si.edu/detail.cfm?ID=382

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 19th, 2010, 5:53 pm

"You have the vote of every thinking person!" Stevenson called back, "That's not enough, madam, we need a majority!" ...
haha. excellent.

Barry

Post by Barry » April 20th, 2010, 9:31 pm

If I may step in and point out the obvious, it's exactly this "looking down your nose at the world" quality of what the man said that made him never be president, much as the world might have been better had he been.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 21st, 2010, 12:12 pm

good point. sometimes the best ones are the most obvious.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 22nd, 2010, 9:18 am

good point. sometimes the best ones are the most obvious.
No doubt that "most of us have a flair for the obvious"

That is why I give up on trying to prove I am hip. Shucks, I don't even bother to try and "man up"

I remember that election mnaz. They say Piaget may be wrong about a child's mental development. i.e.abstract thought. I was one month shy of my 13 birthday that election. I was following it as closely as I could. It was the first election that I was "aware of" with my newly wired in homo sapien brain.

Barry I don't think Stevenson's quip had much to do with why Eisenhower won in a landslide. There was a war on. THere was a war hero a victorious general who pledged to go to Korea and end the war.

But you know I also started smoking about that time too. So how precocious was I. Well I smoked Viceroys.

How is the job search going? Looking for work is about the hardest job I know.

Barry

Post by Barry » April 22nd, 2010, 1:27 pm

Barry I don't think Stevenson's quip had much to do with why Eisenhower won in a landslide. There was a war on. THere was a war hero a victorious general who pledged to go to Korea and end the war.
You are correct on that, sir. He didn't really have a chance. I was just making the point that the attitude certainly could have been no help.
How is the job search going? Looking for work is about the hardest job I know.
'bout as well as can be expected in these trying economic times.

Peace,
Barry

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 23rd, 2010, 6:54 am

You ever heard the expression "on the beach" I heard it when I was out in god's country when I was working on that trawler. When a captain loses his boat, he is on the beach. Like a trucker without a truck. A disconcerting feeling for me, maye "uncanny" would be a better word. I wish I could say something that might help. My first thought is maintain dignity. Sorry barry, I don't mean to give advice. My life so got dam easy street these days. I am in my golden years. No children other than nephews and nieces. I try to relate. Say something about the fifties and everyone thinks "the beats" Christ h jesus you think I am unhip now you should have seen me in the fifties.
Looking for a J.O.B. is a fulltime job. I thought about it as a numbers game. X number job aplications sumited = y number of job offers. It used to be four or five to one now it is higher I think. Best wishes.

What was this thread about anyway, Politics?
sorry Cecil.

Have you ever read Ike's "Iron Cross" speech.?

Barry

Post by Barry » April 23rd, 2010, 2:36 pm

Oh, you mean like this? Watch all the way throughto see and hear what I mean.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaFRczSgopw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JaFRczSgopw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
There's also that movie, On the Beach, about nuclear war, or its aftermath.

Peace,
Barry
PS: Sorry, Cecil.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » April 24th, 2010, 4:18 am

This is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron.

These plain and cruel truths define the peril and point the hope that come with this spring of 1953.

This is one of those times in the affairs of nations when the gravest choices must be made, if there is to be a turning toward a just and lasting peace.

Cross of Iron
Thanks for that song
I never heard it before

I would have voted for Stevenson if I could have. He was a beautiful loser.

Ike's speech sounds good but
It should mean, no less importantly, an end to the direct and indirect attacks upon the security of Indochina
the bit about IndoChina left me scratching my head.
A got dam imperialist war by France agains Vietnam and he bought into it.

Dave The Dov

Post by Dave The Dov » April 25th, 2010, 4:02 pm

Portland-based musician Sarah Dougher's 2000 album The Walls Ablaze included a song titled "The New Carissa".

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”