The illustrated book of Genesis, Robert Crumb

Art news & posts that can't be categorized.
stilltrucking

The illustrated book of Genesis, Robert Crumb

Post by stilltrucking » July 20th, 2010, 11:18 am

In a recent essay in The New York Review of Books about R. Crumb’s illustrated “Book of Genesis,” the literary critic Harold Bloom seems bemused by Mr. Crumb’s graphic style, which reminds him unpleasantly of Mad magazine. He thinks Mr. Crumb’s muscular, full-bodied women are ugly. But he does rightly admire Mr. Crumb’s total lack of piety.

Indeed. Loaded as they are with sex, violence, hallucinatory visions and miracles, the stories of Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Lot and his daughters, David and Goliath (not to mention Bathsheba) and many others seem custom-made for Mr. Crumb’s bawdy sensibility and earthy draftsmanship.

Mr. Crumb may be irreverent, but in his attention to every detail of word and image he is as devout as any medieval manuscript illuminator. Scanning the 207 drawings on gallery walls is not the best way to take in the epical narrative, but it is good to see them in the original, undiminished by the inferior reproductive quality of the $24.95 book published by W. W. Norton. The inks are blacker, the pages whiter and the artist’s touch visibly subtler.

The real thrill, however, is in how Mr. Crumb’s richly hatched, firmly delineated drawings bring to unruly, comical life people and events that often seem puzzlingly abstract in the Bible, from the seven days of Creation to the happy death of Joseph at 110 in Egypt. If you wanted to interest a youngster in the Good Book, you could do no better than “accidentally” leave a copy of this terrifically entertaining, R-rated masterpiece lying around the house.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/19/arts/ ... s-003.html

Atehequa

Re: The illustrated book of Genesis, Robert Crumb

Post by Atehequa » September 6th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Mr. Natural
Devil Girl
Flakey Foont
The Snoids
Whiteman meets Bigfoot

I've enjoyed R.Crumb's art and script since the early days of underground comics and will look into his Book of Genesis.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4Gkz-bu_Q&feature=fvsr

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » September 8th, 2011, 9:36 am

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 10th, 2011, 1:56 am

If you wanted to interest a youngster in the Good Book, you could do no better than “accidentally” leave a copy of this terrifically entertaining, R-rated masterpiece lying around the house.
I don"t revere the Biblel,,,
Genesis it is very primitive morality, it is tribal if you are going to use that for moral guidance I think you are going to be in trouble."
R Crumb
Joe Campbell has some harsh things to say about the Hebrew Children, how they killed off the abomination on the mountain top, which is the goddess I suppose. SO you were saying about the patriarchal sky god and monotheism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freud_and_religion]

aiza

Post by aiza » September 9th, 2013, 6:37 am

Good to know so much useful information.
a+ certification practice test a+ certification practice test
sat prep courses sat prep courses
pass-4sure.me.uk http://www.pass-4sure.me.uk/
ccvp ccvp
scwcd scwcd

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » September 9th, 2013, 12:47 pm

not to put to fine a point on it
point taken.
everything so interesting to me in my later years
I want to take notes in case I have to take a quiz in the afterlife

Taking another look at this quote:
I don"t revere the Bible,,,
Genesis it is very primitive morality, it is tribal if you are going to use that for moral guidance I think you are going to be in trouble."
R Crumb
Primitive morality
embedded in the human genome
through the magic of science and gene therapy
we will be better men someday.
we just have to tinker with our souls

Return to “Artstalk”