course planning

Go ahead. Talk about it.

What should i do with my life?

Theatre Technician (lighting, sound, props, set design and construction; moderate to good job prospects.)
No votes
Theatre Core Program (playwriting, directing, reading lots of plays; but virutally no employment prospects.)
100%
Architecture (designers who actually make money; but much more school.)
No votes

Total votes: 1

Glorious Amok

course planning

Post by Glorious Amok » August 20th, 2004, 10:41 am

oh the soulsearching torture of course planning.

here i had made up a schedule i was so happy with. i had decided to leave Technical behind, but to continue being grateful for my roots in it's waters.

i was taking the greater artistic risk. with a more secure safety net to fall back into. (albeit many more years in school)

and now it turns out that i won't be given any extra credit for all the upper-level projects i completed in my first year. and two weeks now before school begins, i'm trying to decide whether i should go back to the medium risk artistic choice.

been meeting with professors, trying to talk about my passions and my interests, where my talents fall and where i wish they had. they tell me, "brood over it. but not too long."

there are too numerous extenuating circumstances.
"YOUR way is your only way." - jack kerouac

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 20th, 2004, 11:11 am

which of the three things would you like to spend your time doing? (after school i mean).

do you want to be an architect?
do you want to work in theatre?

can you not combine courses 1 and 2?

my ex-husband took architecture along with taking a mistress, and an impossible love affair man was an architect, so i'm perhaps not objective in this.

but, do ponder this from your heart. i think you're lucky you've got 3 viable choices.

judih

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 20th, 2004, 11:19 am

Can I click them all?

geesh

wish I had such options... lucky you!

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » August 20th, 2004, 12:12 pm

i can see myself sticking with Tech for only a few years before i'd want to expand. that's why i thought i'd move right into the Theatre Studies (core program) which speaks more to my imagination than Tech does, which speaks to my hands and motor skills.

i'm working on trying to figure out the combination. but there's so many pre-requisites, and the directing/playwrighting classes are reserved to the Core students. i have to actually make a decision, within the next two weeks, which kind of student i'm going to be.

in Theatre Studies, i'd have my nights free to earn money, take a drawing class and maybe a dance class. in Tech, i'll be in school all day, working shows all night, and earning no money for any of it. the catch is that there's more Tech jobs after school. in Theatre Studies, i can work nights to support myself during school, but after i graduate, it's not like i can just go out and get a job as a director or a playwright (but that's where my greater passion and talents lay).

i'm intrigued by some of the possibilites i've read concerning Architecture, by what i think i could bring of my own to it. but what i couldn't ever get into is the skyscrapers and malls. i'd like to design little log cabins maybe, starter homes, or community gardens. i'm also interested a little bit in heritage building restoration. or i'd just use my knowledge to go really far as a set designer, stick to Theatre. what's daunting about Arch. is the Math. all the math i can do is red + blue = purple.

i've registered for Core classes so far. i thought i had made my decision already. but something tempts me back ... something about creeping around in the dark, painting and glueing. the problem with Tech is that it's CREATIVE, it's just not IMAGINATIVE.

and i think that maybe i am more imaginative than i am creative. and i think i just answered my own question.... core studies is what i want to do, there's just a long future of volunteer work ahead. man, for some people, money is so important, yet everything i do is anti-money.

i just would really like to support myself one day. own my own home. that's all i'm really hoping for. and doreen, too many choices also risks leaving me sitting on my ass, doing none of the above, and still just thinking about what i want to do! :roll:

Lightning Rod

Post by Lightning Rod » August 20th, 2004, 12:48 pm

PetJell,

I have no doubt that you will prosper in anything you decide to do. It's because you got the wang-dang-doodle. Now I don't know what the wang-dang-doodle is any better than Chuck Berry did, but I know you got it. It's what let's you walk from one area of creativity and dedication to another.

I think you have made the right choice to go for the most creative and challenging route.

But on the other side of it, if you were a musician I would tell you to play the drums or the bass. It's not as glamorous, but drummers and bass players always work.

I love the quote from "Virgin Queen" where Betty Davis, as Queen Liz, says:

"Turn me out in my petticoats anywhere in Christendom, and I will prosper."

I know you will too.

lr
"These words don't make me a poet, these Eyes make me a poet."

The Poet's Eye

Glorious Amok

Post by Glorious Amok » August 20th, 2004, 3:04 pm

whoa, that's serious. i've decided to quote you as having quoted bette davis to me. and perhaps also chuck berry.

thank you!

Return to “General Discussion”