Doreen Peri
Site Admin

RIP Norman Mallory

Post by Doreen Peri » May 15th, 2013, 10:07 pm

Norman Clyde Mallory
(aka Zlatko Waterman on Studio8)
July 16, 1945 - March 26, 2013

http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignit ... id=5478407

One of the finest poets and artists I ever had the honor to know. I wish I had had the opportunity to meet him in person. His gentle spirit and talents were truly a gift! He will be greatly missed.
Norman C. Mallory, 67, died Tuesday, March 26, 2013 at City of Hope Helford Hospital in Duarte, California, from complications following cancer surgery in January. Born July 16, 1945 in Salem, Oregon, Norman was an only child and spent his youth in the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and Northern California. He graduated from high school in Chico, California and earned his MA in English from California State University Chico; he also did work toward a PhD in English at the University of Nevada Reno, concentrating on the works of James Joyce and William Butler Yeats. While doing his graduate work, Norman taught freshman English at both of the above mentioned universities. He taught for the Ventura County Community College District for nearly 30 years in the areas of Humanities, Art, Film, Journalism, and all levels of English. He was first hired to teach full-time at Moorpark College in the early 1970s and transferred to Ventura College in 1984 where he retired from teaching in July of 2000. He was a resident of Ventura County for almost 30 years.

Throughout his life Norman considered himself an artist, above all. After concluding his teaching career, he concentrated on his art full-time for the remainder of his life. He felt a special kinship with drawing, continuously practicing this skill, as he considered it fundamental to his work. He was a visual artist and illustrator, primarily a painter, working in watercolor, oil, acrylic, and egg tempera. Norman was a very active member of the Flickr website, posting there more than 5000 images of his work since joining in 2007. His work can be viewed there. He was a well-respected artist and a mentor for many young people who requested assistance and needed encouragement. He was known for his generosity in assisting other artists. His illustrations have appeared in many national and international periodicals such as Le Monde and der Freitag. He was also a published poet and essay writer, a musician, playing the guitar and mandolin, and a singer. He played in numerous acoustic bands and especially enjoyed performing gospel, bluegrass, old time, and country music. He was made an Honorary Lifetime Member of the "Old Time, Country, Bluegrass, Gospel Music Association."

Norman was a voracious reader of books; his taste was amazingly broad from science fiction, philosophy, biography, and history, to art, literary criticism, politics, and religion. A lover of libraries since the age of 9 when he discovered the Anchorage Public Library while living in Alaska, Norman went so far as to marry his own librarian, Mary LaBarge, a reference librarian at Moorpark College. Their relationship began in 1984 and she was by his side at his death.

The accompanying drawing is by Mariah O'Neill.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to The Humane Society of Ventura County, at http://www.humanesocietyvc.org.

A Prayer Vigil will be recited Thursday, April 18, 7:00 P.M. at Ted Mayr Funeral Home, 3150 Loma Vista Road in Ventura. The funeral mass will take place Friday, April 19, 1:00 P.M., at Our Lady of the Assumption Church, 3175 Telegraph Road, Ventura.

Arrangements are under the direction of the Ted Mayr Funeral Home. Condolences may be left at TedMayrFuneralHome.com.

petercowlam

Re: RIP Norman Mallory

Post by petercowlam » May 17th, 2013, 4:53 pm

Thank you, Doreen. That is a wonderful tribute to a man of remarkable accomplishments.

mnaz

Post by mnaz » May 19th, 2013, 4:39 am

i met norman a couple of times. he reminded me of mark twain, and i will miss him for sure. and best wishes to his wife mary. the pain of losing a person close to one's heart is never easy to bear. zlatko, thanks for your honest critique and encouragement of my scribbling, and your friendship, however brief it was face to face. it made a difference in my life.

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » June 8th, 2013, 5:03 pm

RIP Zlatko, aka Norman Mallory. All I know of you, I read in your column of art, etc.
You were an original active member of studio eight, and commanded quite a bit of
respect. My heart goes out to your family, loved ones, & friends. You are a great soul
& had quite a wry wit & sense of irony in your works. :( but 8) ...May G-d bless you
& keep you & shine grace upon you...

whimsicaldeb

Post by whimsicaldeb » June 12th, 2013, 6:49 pm

Oh my goodness, I didn't know. RIP Norman.
and thank you - once last time - for everything.
<3

Steve Plonk

Post by Steve Plonk » October 12th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Rest in Peace, Norman Mallory. Many of his posts & artwork were before my time on this site.
He seemed like a wonderful guy & was a very erudite & talented cartoonist & writer. 8)
I am certain he will be missed by his dear family & friends. :(
It is hoped that his legacy will live on through his work & his many students... :)

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 12th, 2018, 12:00 pm

cut and paste
How to Grieve for Online Friends You Had Never Met in Person
She says she still cries remembering those initial days of grief. Amy, she said, “was a better, more ‘real’ friend to me than most people I know in person.”

Cyberloss isn’t any less genuine or deeply significant simply because the interactions took place online. As Ms. Devine explains, every grief is valid, and just because you aren’t in the same room, or connecting over tea in your home city, doesn’t mean you don’t rely on the person, or count them among your inner circle. “The only person who gets to decide what grief looks like is the person experiencing it.”

he hardest task of mourning is to accept the reality of the loss, said Julia Samuel, a London-based psychotherapist and author of “Grief Works: Stories of Life, Death, and Surviving.” If someone is an online friend, she explained, there may be less concrete experiences or objects on which to focus one’s grief, which could make it hard to really believe the person has died. She advises the importance of creating a ritual that represents an ending, whether by lighting a candle and saying a prayer or poem, or going to a place of worship to do something similar. Dr. Gilbert likens this to a ritual of transformation: “The person is no longer available to me, but I can still have in my heart a connection with them.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/well ... e=Homepage

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » November 13th, 2018, 12:06 am

to read that rich biography once more - such a loss. Again the loss of such an amazing human artist. Thanks, jack, for rebirthing the life of Norman.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 14th, 2018, 1:44 pm

Well it's bad news from Houston half my friends are dying
Well it's bad news from Houston half my friends are dying
White Freightliner won't you steal away my mind

Well, Lord, I'm gonna ramble 'til I get back to where I came
Well, Lord, I'm gonna ramble 'til I get back to where I came
That old White Freightliner gonna haul away my brain

By Townes Van Zandt

Return to “Norman Mallory”