Post by 68degrees » November 18th, 2014, 9:28 pm

Grieve what your voice says
to grieve

Beneath its wetness, you could
live another thousand years

the mingo

Re: After the Funeral

Post by the mingo » November 18th, 2014, 11:14 pm

i sure as shit hope, and pray that's not true - the thousand years that is - you'd be raving stark mad long before the thousand years was up - 8)
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » November 19th, 2014, 5:09 pm

I really liked "Beneath its wetness" ... it's got me thinking. Wet tears, wet earth where someone is buried ('cause it seems to often rain during funerals, I don't know why).... Then I thought maybe someone was buried alive, living a thousand years underneath that wet soil. *shudder* ... what an awful thought, being buried alive.

Everyone grieves differently and for different periods of time. I'm still grieving some of our poets from S8 who have left us, plus my poet friend, Karen, who only posted here a couple of times but who I loved online for many years... just all of a sudden gone. Sigh. I grieve longer than some people, I think. Others are able to let go more easily. I miss people too much.

I don't quite understand nor accept death. I don't know why it has to happen..... but I'm with Mingo that if we were alive for 1000 years, we'd probably all go mad.

Hell, I'm going mad and it's only been a bit over a half century.

Anyway, interesting piece which made me think about grieving and death and the wetness imagery, that just got to me somehow.

68degrees

Post by 68degrees » November 20th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Thanks. "Wetness" is a bit of both, I think (the tears and the earth, I mean). I hadn't thought about being buried alive, but one of my favorite speeches in drama is Juliet talking to herself before she takes the Friar's potion and worrying about waking up in the family crypt alone with all her dead relatives. Shakespeare at his early finest.

One thing about death...you don't have to accept it. It'll reach out and grab you whether you want it to or not.

The "grieving" part of this little poem was my main focus when first writing it. But now that I see your comments, maybe something else is there as well. Enjoyed your comments.
I've been making a conscious effort on my brevity poems. Appreciate all your thoughts.

68degrees

Return to “Poetry”