Moderator: stilltrucking

Quacker Jack™

Re: The Studio Eight Diet™

Post by Quacker Jack™ » August 18th, 2014, 4:12 pm

I thougt you might like this.
copy and paste
My Life in Bicycles
my life in bikes.jpg

BELGRADE LAKES, Me. — MY Uncle Clarke woke me before dawn with a shake to the shoulder. He gave me a look that asked, You in? I nodded. I was in all right.

Ten minutes later, we were on bikes riding through the gray light. We pedaled past sleepy summer homes with hammocks in their side yards, towels hanging from porch railings, inflatable rafts stacked up like pancakes. This was Rehoboth Beach, Del., August 1968.

Uncle Clarke (not my real uncle, but my father’s best friend from high school) rode every morning at dawn. He had one of those “English” bikes that were all the rage in the 1960s, a Raleigh three-speed with the gear shift on a tiny lever near the rider’s right thumb. I rode a borrowed Sting-Ray belonging to my cousin Martha. Usually Uncle Clarke led an army of us kids on those morning rides, but that day it was just me.

We rode over to the bay side and then to the boardwalk, its Skee-Ball parlors and salt water taffy machines closed up at that hour. We looked at the ocean and listened to the surf. The poet Matthew Arnold once called it “the eternal note of sadness,” but it sounded all right to me.

T. S. Eliot’s Prufrock laments that his life has been measured out in coffee spoons, but I think I could take a pretty good measure of my own life in bicycle tires. There was the orange Huffy of childhood that I transformed into something I called Tiger Bike, complete with a furry tail given out at the Esso station during its “Put a Tiger in Your Tank” promotion. Later, there was a 10-speed I took to college, where it was stolen from a friend’s house. In my 20s, I owned a Lotus racing bike. Once, I got my shoes so hopelessly entangled in its toe clips that I spilled right onto the asphalt of Connecticut Avenue in Washington, D.C.

Now, in my 50s, I have two bikes — a Specialized Secteur for the road, and a hard-core Trek Fuel 70 for the fire roads and logging trails of Kennebec County. Me.

When my sons were in elementary school, there were weeks in summer when they’d jump on their bikes in the morning and disappear down our dirt road with a crew of other boys from the neighborhood. “Bike patrol,” they called themselves. They’d head off to the lake, or to one another’s houses, or — who knows? — to secret locations that I, as one of their mothers, will never know.

I have several friends who partake in something called “spinning,” which is the health-club version of cycling, involving a group of women on stationary bikes who pedal fast, then slow, then fast, as the instructor blasts the kind of music you usually hear in stores that are trying to get 16-year-olds to buy pants, and yells things like, “Feel the burn!”

I prefer exercising at least two miles away from any other human being. For me, biking is a solitary activity. In the Kennebec Highlands, on my mountain bike, I pedal past Kidder Pond, up to the blueberry barrens high atop Vienna Mountain. From there, I watch bald eagles and ospreys, whose poop, owing to their diet of berries, stains the gray rocks purple. Sometimes I’ve run into deer and porcupines, and on one memorable occasion, a moose. Another time, I lay with my back against a tree, watching a beaver build a dam in Boody Pond.

Stephen King writes of a solitary childhood encounter with a deer in his story “The Body”: “My heart went up into my throat so high that I think I could have put my hand in my mouth and touched it.” Later, the narrator decides not to tell his friends about what he has seen, to keep it for himself. “The most important things are the hardest to say, because words diminish them.”
Continue reading the main story
Recent Comments
Hernandz
19 minutes ago

Mom and I ride on a regular basis -- she will be 75 on Saturday. Our most recent bike vacation was last year on the C&O towpath in the...
Java Master
19 minutes ago

Being in your 50's is NOT too old for cycling. I am ten years older than you and still ride a fine Peugeot 12 speed sport bike from the...
javierg
19 minutes ago

I enjoyed your article. I am now 56, and ride one of my five bikes every day. I have an Electra Amsterdam, very similar to the English...

See All Comments

These are the gifts that I will most miss when, some day in the not-so-distant future, I have to give up biking alone. At 56, I’m really too old to be hopping over rocks and fallen trees, an hour or two from help, should anything terrible happen to me, which, odds are, it will. Recently, I encountered a bunch of young men who were climbing a mountain trail that I was riding down; one of them looked at me, mud-spattered, sweat-covered, and said, “Whoa! Hard-core!” It wasn’t clear whether he was saying this out of admiration, or concern.

A couple of years after that bike ride with my Uncle Clarke, he and my father had some kind of falling out, and I didn’t see him again. I don’t think about him very often, except on summer mornings in August, when I’m climbing onto my bike.

That morning in Rehoboth Beach, I saw the first sunrise I can remember. My uncle nodded at me, and I nodded back, and we got on our bikes. The air smelled like salt, cotton candy and tar. When we got back to the house, my mother was making pancakes.

“So,” she asked. “How’d it go?”

My uncle looked at me with what might have been love. “We had a good ride,” he said.

Jennifer Finney Boylan, a contributing opinion writer, is a professor of English at Barnard College and the author, most recently, of “Stuck in the Middle with You: Parenthood in Three Genders.”
"Life goes where the new forms are, so yur not gonna have, uh, uh'mean y'might as well, er all this, uh this is all Hindsight that yur talkin' 'bout. It's already too late... Allen Ginsberg and Neal Cassady conversation

Hypatia

Post by Hypatia » February 4th, 2018, 3:40 am

I lost sixty pounds I am back 20, still went from 44 waist to 38, still wearing 38 waist because I got no ass.
ah, those lazy hazy daisy days of riding my bicycle everyday are over. Now I try to cram a week's worth of living into two days.

I really got on a jag with that diet.
and with the bike

I wish I could ride like that again, but only got two days a week to do it
Going to be a sunny day today, 78 degrees, ride or die Jackie my boy

drank a miniature of texas vodka a couple hours ago thinking about having one more as/like a nightcap

don't read back just hit the submit button I can read it later in chagrin
Last edited by Hypatia on October 16th, 2018, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I used to be smart.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 7th, 2018, 2:00 am

I got a new diet it is working great, I gained twenty pounds/ and I avoid my scale, have not seen it a month. I call it the suicide by cheese danish diet. For some reason that reminds me of a Hank Williams Sr. song. " Everything is okay"

looking into the hyperlink for my avatar, it is spooky, is what I am seeing what I am seeing?
wicki yankel.PNG

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » February 11th, 2018, 11:42 am

feng shui
two months after I moved
i am still moving
feng shui hexing my diet
feng 2.jpg
feng 1.jpg
free rice

I used to be smart

Unk

Post by Unk » February 14th, 2018, 2:23 am

I got one corner almost squared away and found my scale

cozy.jpg

i sing the body electric

dr nut.jpg
Was it doubted that those who corrupt their own bodies conceal themselves?
And if those who defile the living are as bad as they who defile the dead?
And if the body does not do fully as much as the soul?
And if the body were not the soul, what is the soul?
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/ ... lt-whitman
Last edited by Unk on October 28th, 2018, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thanks dino

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 14th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Hard to find a Dr Nut™
    , so I am drinking diet Dr Pepper™

the Ineffable Name, the Unutterable Name
    Yes, Dear Friends, a mighty Hot Dog is our Lord!
    time keeps on slipping into the past
    I am living on rock time
    ain't done nothing since I woke up this morning
    Feng Shui tell me to go stick my head in a toilet and flush
    my crib is full of kipple re: Philip K Dick
    enough my diet needs work, so do I
    I need to run a navigable river through my crib
    First Law of Kipple…'Kipple drives out nonkipple'."
    wild horses.jpg

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 14th, 2018, 4:30 pm

the muse.PNG

— Anna Akhma
    the muse

that dictates hell to me
    seems to be androgynous to me
    neither she nor he
    but IT>

Hypatia

Post by Hypatia » February 14th, 2018, 5:42 pm

for a long time I believed that Anne Sexton and Sylvia Plath were my muses, I confuse them so often these days, they were such dear companions for me when I was trucking. Put many hundred thousand miles on their poetry

these days I don't believe that anymore, but god knows they are in my head
    Last edited by Hypatia on October 14th, 2018, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    I used to be smart.

silent woman

Post by silent woman » February 15th, 2018, 10:25 pm

a miracle
    12 miles yesterday
    today I sat for about 600 miles

only two days I get to ride these days
    the other five I struggle for the legal tender
    losing wait/weight again.
    next day to ride is Sunday, the good lord willin
    Shofar: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Jewish Studies
    https://muse.jhu.edu/authenticate

The Savage in Judaism: Anthropology of Israelite Religion and Ancient Judaism

. . .with a review of scholarship since the Enlightenment, arguing that leading students of comparative religion such as Durkheim, Malinowski, Radcliffe-Brown, Evans-Pritchard, Boas, Mead, Krober, Benedict, and others rarely influenced the study of Israelite religion. He contends that only since the mid-sixties, with such studies as those of Mary Douglas on food taboos and Edmund Leach on structuralist approaches to religious narrative, has the picture changed. Most previous studies up to this time, theologically based and apologetic in nature, had tried to demonstrate that Israelite religion had left animism and mythological thought far behind, and was thus superior to anything in the ancient world. But to Eilberg-Schwartz, such "comparative" studies only "served a defensive posturing and evolutionary agenda." Despite inevitable polemics, this first section is provocative, often persuasive . Nevertheless, the author has minimized the very rapidly growing use of sociological and anthropological models, even by mainstream biblical scholars, since the 19708. He takes brief notice of some such scholars, like

Robert Culley, Norman Gottwald, and Robert Wilson. But he is unaware of seminal and very influential recent works by C. H. 1. de Geus (1976); N. P. Lemche (1985, 1988); F. S. Frick (1985), J. W. Flanagan (1988), R. A. Oden (1987), and others-not to mention the "new archaeology" movement and its use of socio-anthropological paradigms, which as I have shown elsewhere is now having at last a truly revolutionary impact on the study of ancient Israelite cultural history, society, and religion.1 Part II, entitled "Cows, Blood, and Juvenile Fruit Trees," is
    Last edited by silent woman on October 28th, 2018, 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    If you can't give me love and peace, Then give me bitter fame. — Akhmatova.

Free Rice

avatar courtesy of Baron de Hirsch

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 16th, 2018, 9:16 am

Enjoyed there entries, Jack, right down to the commas & periods - you're mining zuihitsu gold here
    Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 17th, 2018, 11:18 am

When is national Suicide Prevention month :?: , seems like it should be February although . . . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_ ... cide_rates

Losing weight, but that might just be me dehydrating, I believe in the studio eight diet
    The American experiment has metastasized out of control. Being American now means we can believe anything we want.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... nd/534231/

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » February 18th, 2018, 2:04 pm

Cartesian certainty.

I been smoking fish and eating weeds
    and it is a Cartesian certainty that I am reading this,
    I might have typed it too :wink:
    "Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 11th, 2018, 6:14 pm

Portraits and Repetition: An essay by Gertrude Stein

Portraits and Repetition: An essay by Gertrude Stein
    1444.jpg
    me and gertrude on eastern ave, circa 1946

Her biggest thrill was to cook for me and watch me eat. hardly ever saw her without that wooden spoon in her hand.

For some reason when I think of my grandmother I think of Gertrude Stein.
    I wish I was eating bubbies cooking again

back on the studio eight diet again
    lost fifty pounds on it last time
    I guess I will get to do it again

gender essentialism
    another dot The Man behind the “New Man”
    https://daily.jstor.org/man-behind-new-man/

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 12th, 2018, 11:33 am

on of these days I am going to post new pictures of my crib now that I have all ship shape and I am a truck I own you.' Breakfast 2 eggs bacons and toast, coffee and a bowl of tea
    DOT phsical passed for another year
    what would I be withut my Class A license
    feel naked without because If I ain't-a trucker I ain't shit
    my meal ticket with out I would be back at Walmart greeting the old farts wearing 'Make China Great again' hats, and listening their rants about trump haters, I told one that i wish Obama could have run for a third term. He jumped back like Dracula on seeing a cross. Wish I knew it this was making any sensE zuitshu typing away in flow of text moving across the text box.
    needed inspiration to get out doors on a fine October morning
    tuned into youtube to hear Big Bird singing "Ain't no road too long" a duet with old waylon
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWv_sQm5_Yo

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » October 13th, 2018, 10:57 am

breakfast with diana moon glampers

toast bacon eggs coffee
    tea

bike 10 miles yesterday
    20 today?

Return to “Asylum for the Terminally Vain”