Zuihitsu

(...)

Moderator: the mingo

stilltrucking

Re: Zuihitsu

Post by stilltrucking » November 7th, 2018, 2:40 pm

you can hear the river when it is dark
I can see the stars in the dark,
the school I went to was next door to a scrap yard, the only thing separating our playground from the mountains of shredded metal was a chain link fence, occasionally a metal shard would slitter down the pile and slide under the chain link fence. One when I was in the second grade, I picked up one of those shards and sliced a kids arm from his elbow to wrist. It is that a false memory? Seventy years later all I have for sure is a vague memory of being in the principal's office and the kid was there too, his arm bleeding and me feeling guilty. Crazy mike always told me to pick up something to use as a weapon if I got in a fight. After he died I was called up for the draft in 1963 and declared mentally unfit, just because I used to sleep with a shotgun under my ching.

Mr. Guilty, I use that username once in a while.
Watching a show about veterans and I heard someone say "everyday 20 veterans die by suicide" and I wondered if it is true. It is true. When I check out at the dollar store they ask me if I want to donate to help the active duty militarty get the things they need. Like school supplies for their children. And I am put off, I guess I am a sorry son of a bitch, I think that active duty military should get everything from the government whose orders they are following. Jim (blessed be...) would cross three lanes of traffic or do a u turn if he saw a panhandler wearing a army jacket, he always gave them something.

I deleted one here don't know if you saw it, sounded like I was getting into a Zuihitsu pissing contest.

:arrow: deleted post
I got so old any weather seems like good weather. I read that six feet down the temperature is always the same.
The weather of Texas is pretty radical, sometimes it seems like it is stuck in one mode for weeks, that it gets wild every other week as another storm rolls through from the Gulf or The Pacific, or from the great white north.
Funny how when you grow up in a certain climate, get used to the transitions from season to season, and when you move 1500 miles south you will always feel like a stranger in your own hometown.

Sitting in the garage over at the bear's house looking at my homeboy motorcycle, he is now 87, he has parked his big Harley in the bear's garage, maybe forever, I hope not. Is it true that twenty veterans die every day by suicide?

Beautiful day today did not get to ride my 20 miles today, instead, I cheated and drove around running errands with my fitness tracker on and logged 50 Healthybucks™ on my HMO.

yep, here I go again, doing this thing we :?: call Zuishitu. But I am still not of a mind to edit the typos in that one above.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 7th, 2018, 2:43 pm

you can hear the river when it is dark
I can see the stars in the dark,
the school I went to was next door to a scrap yard, the only thing separating our playground from the mountains of shredded metal was a chain link fence, occasionally a metal shard would slither down the pile and slide under the chain link fence. When I was in the second grade, I picked up one of those shards and sliced a kids arm from his elbow to wrist. Is that a false memory? Seventy years later all I have for sure is a vague memory of being in the principal's office and the kid was there too, his arm bleeding and me feeling guilty. Crazy mike always told me to pick up something to use as a weapon if I got in a fight. After he died I was called up for the draft in 1963 and declared mentally unfit, just because I used to sleep with a shotgun under my chin.

Mr. Guilty, that's me.
Watching a show about veterans and I heard someone say "every day 20 veterans die by suicide" and I wondered if it is true. It is true. When I check out at the dollar store they ask me if I want to donate to help the active duty military get the things they need like school supplies for their children. I am put off, I must be an ungrateful sorry son of a bitch, I think that active duty military should get everything from the government who sends them off to war. Jim (blessed be...) would cross three lanes of traffic or do a U-turn if he saw a panhandler wearing an army jacket, he always gave them something. I do too, but active duty military should not want for anything. Maybe it is like buying a new Corvette for a star center fielder, I don't know?

I deleted one here don't know if you saw it, sounded like I was getting into a Zuihitsu pissing contest.

:arrow: deleted post
I got so old any weather seems like good weather. I read that six feet down the temperature is always the same.
The weather of Texas is pretty radical, sometimes it seems like it is stuck in one mode for weeks, that it gets wild every other week as another storm rolls through from the Gulf or The Pacific, or from the great white north.
Funny how when you grow up in a certain climate, get used to the transitions from season to season, and when you move 1500 miles south you will always feel like a stranger in your own hometown.

Sitting in the garage over at the bear's house looking at my homeboy's motorcycle, he is now 87, he has parked his big Harley in the bear's garage, maybe forever, I hope not. Is it true that twenty veterans die every day by suicide?

Beautiful day today did not get to ride my 20 miles today, instead, I cheated and drove around running errands with my fitness tracker on and logged 50 Healthybucks™ on my HMO.

yep, here I go again, doing this thing we :?: call Zuishitu. But I am still not of a mind to edit the typos in that one above.

I always like the insignia of the Maryland National Guard. Seemed kind of mysterious to me when I was a kid back in the forties.
29th div.gif
29th div.gif (8.29 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
Last edited by stilltrucking on November 14th, 2018, 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » November 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm

Your figures are right Jack, had to do a quick scan of the 'Net - 20-22 vet suicides day after day, 154 week after week, 8,030 year after year - the VA's own figures based on their own report -
______________________________________WAR - THE GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING_______________________________________
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » November 10th, 2018, 4:02 pm

The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.
~ Henry Miller

The sky was grey. Then it was blue. Then it was grey with patches of blue. Now it's all grey again. November, Tug Hill Plateau. I let the fire in the woodstove go out earlier today when the sun was out. Now I have to bring some wood in and start a new fire. Chill is on the edge of everything.

I want a fountain pen. A cheap one will do. I'm back into doodling. A fountain pen is good for that if you have the right grade of paper. No newsprint allowed with a fountain pen, the ink will blot and a clean crisp line is impossible. Something must be in the air. I haven't done anything even remotely creative in quite awhile. This morning, along with my coffee, I began doodling with a ballpoint pen on a piece of toilet paper.

I used to doodle all the time. I liked how a doodle would grow and involve you, suck you right up.

Dick Blick, here I come!

sasha

Post by sasha » November 11th, 2018, 11:22 am

First ice

A filigree on the puddle in my driveway, and the vernal pool next door is skinned over. Vernal pool, my ass - at this time of year it should be a depression of damp swale grass. With all the rain we've had since July, it's almost spilling over onto the road. Things could get interesting by March.

But at least I won't be tracking mud & damp sand into the house this morning.

Kane bounds ahead and does his aren't-I-adorable-give-me-a-treat dance, and with a laugh I oblige him, even though I know that before we've covered the first mile he'll have done it 20 more times, and it won't be so amusing.

We get to the hollow, where the sun has departed for good until April, and where a grizzled old white-haired white-bearded gent, wearing a wool cap and red & black flannel, is filling his chain saw with gas at the tailgate of an old pickup truck. We stop and chat for a bit - he has to tell me about how he's sold off his livestock and how the guy who's land he's logging has six classic Mustangs in his shed, and do I know George over in Marlboro. Meanwhile, Kane is busy smelling his pants. I tell him no, don't know George, but Bruce up the hill here is a retired forest ranger with a passion for motorcycles, and he & his lady friend are probably out riding despite the cold. Then we bid each other a good day, and return to our respective tasks.

Halfway up the hill I start thinking I've overdressed - the flannel shirt AND heavy winter coat are proving redundant, and I'm starting to overheat. I unzip the jacket almost all the way, leaving the clasp engaged at the very bottom - it engages hard, and I'd have to remove my gloves to start the zipper. But I have to stop anyway because Kane has begun nibbling tentatively at a fresh piece of cat shit, which I manage to pull him off before he can gulp it down.

By the time we pass the spot on the return trip I've long forgotten about it - but he makes a beeline for it and snaps it up before I can tighten the leash. Damn, he remembers! "Drop It!" I yell. "Drop It!" And he does, so I reluctantly give him a treat. I have to remind myself I'm rewarding him for dropping it, not picking it up in the first place.

Sunday. I want to do the crossword, then finish up the playlist shuffle software I've written for KJ. I really like the new interface, but I want to make sure I've made it as idiot-proof as I can. It's a losing battle, really - the idiots keep getting ever more resourceful.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

MrGuilty

Post by MrGuilty » November 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm

Please pardon an idiotic question but what is the KJ?

Sitting here with half my touchas hanging out, this pair of jockey shorts is going to have to be trashed, it is more of a g-string then underwear. I have to bleach the hell out of my underwear because of the skid marks, I am so full of shit its a wonder my eyes are not brown. Pride is idiotic, it goes before the fail. A new book out about Cheney and the Iraq war. Interesting column in NYTimes by what's her name. It is called "Who's the Real American Psycho?" or maybe that should be '____'. Looked up a hundred times but forget.
My hands are shaking, is it cold in here or am I pissed about something?

Grey skies blue skies
bad times good times
give me some of that

"what you are or what"
I used to be smart

Free Rice

sasha

Post by sasha » November 11th, 2018, 12:39 pm

MrGuilty wrote:
November 11th, 2018, 12:26 pm
Please pardon an idiotic question but what is the KJ?
Not What, but Who - it's the initials of a guy I used to work with whose developing a kind of electronic game for sports bars & the like - trouble is, he doesn't know squat about programming, and thinks he can move the project's goalposts any time he wants, and my software will somehow know that the target has moved.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

the mingo

Post by the mingo » November 12th, 2018, 8:27 am

Norman Bates got nothing on anyone. We all have embalmed mothers in our basements and murder victims in our shower stalls.

Ya gotta start off with a bang, Shock and awe or you're finished before you begin.

I began my morning listening to Johnny Winter's "Frankenstein" while making coffee. When General George Armstrong Custer went out from Fort Abraham Lincoln with the 7th Cavalry it was to the tune "Garry Owen" - when the warriors in the Indian encampment that he attacked fought back they fought back to the tune of Johnny Winter's "Frankenstein" ~

28 degrees here - got a good fire going. The Indians were minding their own busy when Custer attacked. We just can't leave things the fuck alone. Especially other people.

Sometimes I consider myself a wise fucking owl. Always with a grain of salt.

Also, the past is of little practical use, emotionally a ghost town, unlivable ~

Roy, we got ice here too. Jack, see to your skivvy situation.

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 12th, 2018, 1:04 pm

Living on Oz Time
All I can do from running down the road naked screaming "I am dying!
Somebody shoot me while I have a satisfied mind.
I thinking Navajo construct "Chindi"***
If I had my druthers I would die outdoors under the sky.
But it would be nice to have a choice. Homeboy has parked his big motorcycle, sitting in the bear's garage smoking the other day and I could not look at for long, the urge to jump on it and ride. But I did not have the ball.
***Please note all I know about Native American religion is what I read in A Tony Hillerman novels
"Religion a light in the fog" we all got one even if it is no religion.

Going down 28 degrees this week, next week it will be in the eighties
28 and damp, got to love it,
I just can't imagine a better place to be then this world of woe and wonder
always liked that song by Bob Carpenter "I Can't Imagine"

oz time.jpg
oz time.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 3945 times

mnaz

Post by mnaz » November 12th, 2018, 9:00 pm

Wasn't that Edgar Winter?

I remember doing about 95 and passing an exit sign for Garryowen on I-90 in the infinite burnt grassland expanse of SE Montana one summer. Now I know why ...

the mingo

Post by the mingo » November 12th, 2018, 9:20 pm

Wasn't that Edgar Winter?
You're right - the Edgar Winter Group

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 14th, 2018, 1:25 am

Fake weather
winter for two days

I had about 15 seconds outdoors today
I wish I knew why I keep pissing away my time

I was thinking you meant the KJV
Wishing you had an algorithm for that

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » November 14th, 2018, 4:57 am

Is Zuihitus creative? I hope so, cause other than that I aint done much creative either, just laundry and stuff like that. My doodling is dootie
My brother got that gift
jitterbug doodle.jpg
jitterbug doodle.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 3918 times
I can't believe what photobucket did to this one
jtillerbugbulb.jpg

still.trucking

Post by still.trucking » November 15th, 2018, 2:13 pm

I got to get in motion, I noticed cobwebs between legs. I got the preemptive grief blues, only cure I know is the road, motion. ain't no notion that motion can't cure.
Going to take a trip to Oklahoma, see my brother's son
"Running down the road on a Saturday night
Left my house in a hell of a mess
Live my life on borrowed time" my brother the jitterbug
"Natural selection, as it has operated in human history, favors not only the clever but the murderous." Barbara Ehrenreich

Free Rice

tinkerjack

Post by tinkerjack » November 30th, 2018, 10:42 am

Zuihitsu like it is August 1914
like this is my last one
woke up head hurting
Mr. Tambourine Man my morning maniac music and analgesic
Coffee is on, a homey smell
out of sync with world time
feels like the end of the world
or the end of me