Zuihitsu

(...)

Moderator: the mingo

the mingo

Re: Zuihitsu

Post by the mingo » February 21st, 2019, 9:05 am

He's gone AWOL 3 times in the last 10 days.
I don't blame him - we had freezing rain all night and it continues - been like that two days now -
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 26th, 2019, 3:18 pm

The couch is cluttered with winter coats, cardboard boxes, gloves, a big bag that holds other bags, a dog leash, and a seat placed upside down belonging to a vanity, art deco, from the 1930s. That vanity is almost a hundred years old now because it's almost the '30s again.

The seat is upside down to keep the cats from ripping the upholstery from it. The cats are here as a result of their mother having sex with an anonymous local male. Some cowboy cat who eats wild mice and birds.

At the entry to the kitchen is a box of Milkbones for the dog who is sleeping now.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 26th, 2019, 11:39 pm

like architectural digest. A tour through the poet's salon

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 27th, 2019, 1:56 pm

like architectural digest. A tour through the poet's salon
Yeah, I thought the box of Milkbones next to the art deco vanity was a nice finishing touch - Yay me! 8) Frank Lloyd Wright eat your heart up! 8)

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » February 27th, 2019, 11:07 pm

I been having three strip bacon with waffles and eggs breakfasts and while I sit and chew I think of wiremn and I sit and chew and listen for wireman's voice.
got so gottdam high I could hear the music tonight
living in a house trailer that was formerly parked on Tobacco Road
Outside looks like Jim Garner's trailer in the Rockford Files
inside rooms full of clutter, after two days of strenuous effort
I have carved out a neat orderly bubble of comort around this computer
Bound For Glory

I have decided to start another diet, the study eight wireman's diet
If I don't go down rocking I ain't going down at all
I am in love in love with a beautiful woman
Oh yes Notorious RBG I love you

fiddle music fiddling my fingers on dees keeys
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post by WIREMAN » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:43 am

love can turn
on ya in a
minute,

leave ya alone
and drowning
within it,

there's a fine line
between
the hate & the love..................
Free Rice
Avatar Courtesy of the Baron de Hirsch Fund

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

sasha

Post by sasha » February 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

While driving home from my mother's assisted living facility, I smelled perfume. I don't have any of those gingerbread-Christmas tree air fresheners in the car (though I probably should) - and my mother doesn't wear perfume - so where was it coming from?

It was faint enough to pretend that maybe I was imagining it - but I've had odd experiences involving perfume that shouldn't be, and I couldn't quite convince myself that this was an olfactory illusion of some kind.

It wasn't until after we got home that a reasonable explanation presented itself. I was tussling with the dog over possession of a stick (or maybe it was Kong, or Wubba, or Chewie...) - and when I pressed my face into his, it was apparent that he was the source of the odor.

As we'd been leaving the building, three elderly ladies had been seated on a sofa in the lobby watching us sign out - and when they smiled and made eye contact with Kane, I had little choice but to walk him over for introductions. (Actually, they'd met him several times in the past, but each time had forgotten.) I managed to restrain him so that his velocity of approach was appropriate for their fragility, but once physical contact had been made, he all but climbed into their laps. They loved it, asked me several times what kind of dog he was (yellow lab), what his name was (Kane), and how old he was (not sure, probably about five - he's a rescue whose past I know nothing about).

These three Musketeers are regulars, always occupying the same couch and sitting in the same order, watching the comings and goings in the lobby. It's a social occasion for them, free entertainment atop that provided by the staff, and they always seem to dress up for the occasion. No doubt they spritz on a little perfume - a Lady never appears in public without.

He's smelled like a lot of things before this, but never like a woman's perfume.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » February 28th, 2019, 11:28 pm

The Aegis
Post by Zlatko Waterman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:33 am

(Performance notes: I performed some music to entertain the residents of The Aegis, a high-end, luxury rest home, in 1999 with my friend, the violinist Ches Willis, a piano player and other musicians.

The acoustics in their living room surpassed those of any hall or room I have played in. The relatives of the residents arrived from the airport for their visits driven by a chauffeured Rolls Royce. Urns of ashes ( cremated bones) were installed in a special bronze wall in the rose garden on the property.

The Aegis

is a fancy nursing home where
the walls are glass
and the columns are twittered with
rose plaster and goldfinches.
Every room has a window and is a real winner.
Winches, belt-thin, hoist
the ruined flanks to dinner.
A background of Haydn,
a foreground of porcelain bridges and
scooting replaced hips.
This is the finest chandelier light
glancing from Waterford goblets.
What’s in the basement?
More clean.
The bones are in the garden.

9/05
Free Rice

'Blessed is he who was not born, Or he, who having been born, has died. But as for us who live, woe unto us, Because we see the afflictions of Zion, And what has befallen Jerusalem." Pseudepigrapha

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

"I was riding on the Mayflower when I thought I spot some land" ~ Bob Dylan's 115th Dream - Bob Dylan

I worry about the cats being taken by owls for I live not only along a river but close to forest on every side. The owls are hunting for their young this time of year. Everything is on the line for them and I could not blame them if they took one of my cats.
When the harmony comes calling you need best be ready.

I have white countertops in my kitchen. When I pour coffee and some drops spill I leave them to dry. I get refills throughout the day. I let the drops gather. I like the patterns that happen. When I wipe them clean at the end of the day it is like a loss. However, knowing there will be new patterns tomorrow lets me keep true to the good stuff.

hard longing

hard longing

all
of
it
a

hard longing

sasha

Post by sasha » March 2nd, 2019, 6:02 pm

the mingo wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

I worry about the cats being taken by owls for I live not only along a river but close to forest on every side. The owls are hunting for their young this time of year. Everything is on the line for them and I could not blame them if they took one of my cats. When the harmony comes calling you need best be ready.
I lost a cat to a night predator several years ago. Maybe a fisher, maybe an owl, or a coyote... we've got 'em all. Cried like a little girl when I realized he wasn't coming home - and I'm not a cat person. But I bore the predator no ill will - it was just looking to make a living, like the rest of us.

the mingo wrote:
March 2nd, 2019, 9:37 am

I have white countertops in my kitchen. When I pour coffee and some drops spill I leave them to dry. I get refills throughout the day. I let the drops gather. I like the patterns that happen. When I wipe them clean at the end of the day it is like a loss. However, knowing there will be new patterns tomorrow lets me keep true to the good stuff.
I have a coffee stain hanging on the wall behind my monitor. It's on a piece of heavy resume paper, which absorbed the fluid nicely. It looks like an abstract Japanese watercolor, and makes a nice counterpart to the xkcd cartoon and MS Word hotkeys chart that flank it. Some people think I'm a little odd. Those people are right.

(There was a scientific study not too many years ago on why dried coffee droplets have dark edges and paler interiors. Had something to do with the physics of the liquid/surface interface - the water evaporates more rapidly near the periphery, setting up radial outward currents carrying the coffee-laden fluid towards the droplet's perimeter.)

See. I am a little odd.

gypsyjoker

Post by gypsyjoker » March 3rd, 2019, 2:47 am

''Coyote is always out there waiting, and Coyote is always hungry.''. Tony Hillerman

I never knew that a cat can kill a snake. But they are no match for coyote. My neighbors horse was killed, something tore its throat out. My sister is always rescuing strays, she took in a German Shepard that must have weighed a hundred pounds, pure black coat, we wondered if that is what killed the horse. We had to take it to a shelter. In Virginia you would see signs saying: "Stray dogs will be shot" I don't see any of those signs here. Coyotes in Central Park NY now, and something new coy-wolfes. You probably knew that. :oops:

another thing about Virginia, there was a law on the books that said if you killed a dog with your car you had to stop and try and locate the owner. But not for a cat.

predators, hell yeah Mongolia

The Armadillo Jackal

Oh yes true love is hard longing
even so—
Glory, glory, glory, glory
You can't never get enough
Time alone will tell the story
Of the glory of true love
Glory, glory, glory, glory
You can't never get enough
Time alone will tell the story
Of the glory of true love
—John Prine
Free Rice

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 3rd, 2019, 6:35 am

(There was a scientific study not too many years ago on why dried coffee droplets have dark edges and paler interiors. Had something to do with the physics of the liquid/surface interface - the water evaporates more rapidly near the periphery, setting up radial outward currents carrying the coffee-laden fluid towards the droplet's perimeter.)

See. I am a little odd.

Good Gawd, Roy! If you weren't a bit odd you wouldn't be here! 8)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 3rd, 2019, 7:11 am

another thing about Virginia, there was a law on the books that said if you killed a dog with your car you had to stop and try and locate the owner. But not for a cat.
I've noticed that we can love both dog and cat the same but we react differently when fate or doom befalls them. The dog is more likely to be mourned in some quarters, the cat not so much.

You're right about the coy-wolves thing. I've seen examples of them more than once. They are noticeably larger than a straight coyote and their overall look and stance is different. If two of them were shadowing me I'd be real glad to be packing a double-barrel shotgun. Or an Apache AH64 assault helicopter. A few years back a young woman out walking alone up in the Canadian Maritimes was attacked and killed by two "coyotes" according to the reports I read at the time.

Coyotes my ass.

I've read some speculation that coyotes passing through the Algonquin Provincial Park in Canada were mated by the wolf packs in the Park. Then they continued on into the northeastern United States. That's the theory anyway. Before I moved here up on Tug Hill my neighbor caught one on his game cam. He asked me what I thought about it. I told him it would be a good idea to wear one of the dozen pistols he had when he went working in his woods.
He took that advice to heart.

sasha

Post by sasha » March 4th, 2019, 12:27 pm

1:20 a.m. - the dog jumps off the bed and nudges the mattress with the side of his head - his way of saying, Wake up, I need to go out.

I rise, fumble for my bathrobe, slip into my moccasins, and shuffle to the front door, grabbing the flashlight on my way. "I don't think you're going to like what you see," I mumble aloud.

I snap on the exterior light and open the door. The front steps are buried under fresh snow, and enough has piled up on the top step to spill inside as I pull the door open. He stops dead in his advance and peers out into the night, where it continues to fall with a faint, audible hiss. He takes a few steps back and stands in the middle of the living room.

"Told you," I say, closing the door & snapping off the light. Back to bed.

5:45 a.m. - like a stage light opening an act, a waxing beam of headlights brings color to the dim blue-gray world at the end of my driveway. Then the truck itself looms into view - or rather its bejeweled accoutrements of flashing amber warning light, the ruby glow of taillights, and two blazing eyes piercing the darkness. The dog stirs beside me and in an instant is on high alert - he sits at the end of the bed with a growl and stares out through the window at this intruder. "Shhh," I say, patting his flank. "It's okay. It's only Dave."

He is unconvinced that Dave's intentions are not only honorable, but that he is here at my request, and continues to warily watch Dave's mechanical body rumble up the driveway, chasing mountains of snow toward the house and out to the edge of the yard. He growls uneasily a few times, but does not bark - maybe he senses my calm indifference; or maybe he's just getting used to the snow plows, the sand trucks, and the oil tanker that backs up the driveway once a month.

5:55 a.m. - Dave has finished and gone on to his next customer, and I decide it's late enough to rise for the day. The dog follows me to the front door, which I open to gauge how much clean-up Dave has left me. He has done his usual fine job, which leaves me little to do but tidy up the edges (not counting exhuming the mailbox and the car, parked out of the way near the road) - but the steps are still piled dauntingly high with snow. Kane once again decides it's not for him, and retreats back to the bedroom while I check my email.

the mingo

Post by the mingo » March 16th, 2019, 12:20 pm

Good Gawd, what day is it? week? month? March, right? Began playing online chess again the past couple of days - it makes me squirrelly - all -night sessions, coffee up the wazu - heart of darkness, Dr. Livingstone, I presume? - Jekyll & Hyde - found I have a compulsion for speed chess - 5 minute, 3 minute, 1 minute games - Gawd, somebody stop me! I think it's the action that draws me - right from the git-go boom boom boom! None of this time for thought and reflection bullshit hell no - ready-set-war! Hell yeah, Mongolia!

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » March 20th, 2019, 11:22 pm

I feel nauseous and the sound of the word "chess"
Don't mind me I am still crazy jack son of crazy mike
Crazy Mike the grand master who played Bobbie Fisher to a draw.
He tried to teach me but every time I sat down across the table from him I was in a panic, my fear of him so intense. So he would play me with his back to the board, I was able to play a few moves. Someday maybe I will be able to play again.

what day is it :?:
I think it is sometime around spring, maybe the day before?
Texas is on fire with wild flowers,
and I feel just like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSkXHisquvU

Return to “Mingo's Lingo”