Zuihitsu

(...)

Moderator: the mingo

jackofnightmares

Re: Zuihitsu

Post by jackofnightmares » January 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm

“Well, everyone can master a grief but he that has it.”

the law in Virginia is, if you hit a dog with your car you must stop and render aid and try to find the owner
sometimes I wish I had the amygdala of a cat
there are no laws about what to do if you run over one of those
just keep on trucking
happy motoring
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

sasha

Post by sasha » January 31st, 2020, 11:43 am

jackofnightmares wrote:
January 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm
“Well, everyone can master a grief but he that has it.”
just keep on trucking
happy motoring
Roger that. I've barely touched the camera since adopting Kane, and photography's like any other skill - you get rusty if you don't practice. Went on 100-mile photo safari yesterday up into the hills of Alstead & Langdon- nothing remarkable came of it, but I did bag a few nice, traditional landscapes. Out of 50 shots, maybe 2 keepers. Gotta start playing scales again before tackling Bach.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Late January - still at least 8 weeks of Winter left... and yet...

...the year's first sunburst on my bedroom wall this morning... and if I stand on my tiptoes before my kitchen window and lean forward far enough, I can see the sun rising over Soule's house... before too many more weeks it'll be in my eyes while I wash the breakfast dishes.

I've heard woodpeckers' display drumming... and from somewhere behind Bill's house this morning, a chickadee was singing the two-note Spring Song...

Slowly, inevitably, the planets once again come into alignment in their dance to the music of the spheres.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

sasha

Post by sasha » February 5th, 2020, 10:48 am

Corollary to Law #10 (viewtopic.php?f=15&t=30001) - THE WRONG LENS WILL ALWAYS BE MOUNTED ON THE CAMERA.

If you need telephoto, the 18-55mm zoom will be mounted.

If you need wide angle, the 55-250mm zoom will be mounted.

And its rare to need either for two shots in a row.

This I remember.

IMG_20200204_20000.jpg

I sit on a wooded hillside overlooking a broad, marshy expanse divided by the sinuous channel of the Millers River, and swap out the lenses yet again. I hoist the camera and tentatively frame the shot I thought I wanted, but it doesn't work. Something about the angle, something about the light.... I lower the camera with a sigh and just sit. And look. And listen. And Be.

For I while, I just Am.

I can hear the water trickling below me as it elbows past a little snag.

Gunshots - sounding like they're coming from the northwest, maybe around Goodnow Road. A pair of crows sail over the marsh, calling to one another. Or maybe to me.

And then...

...a distant train, honking, hauling freight through South Royalston - the Springfield Terminal. It's an audio capture I've had on my bucket list for long time. I check the camera's timer: 15:31. Tuesday. I'll have to plan on bringing the Tascam down here before 3:30 some Tuesday afternoon once the ice on the access roads has receded.

I haven't bothered to pull my gloves back on. My hands are warm enough without them. But the camera's aluminum housing is cold to the touch, and the sun has disappeared behind the trees. I push to my feet. It's time to move on.

IMG_20200128_19889.jpg

mnaz

Post by mnaz » February 5th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Sorry about Kane, sasha. I don't venture into the "artlogs" very often, but I just saw this..

sasha

Post by sasha » February 5th, 2020, 6:05 pm

mnaz wrote:
February 5th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Sorry about Kane, sasha. I don't venture into the "artlogs" very often, but I just saw this..
Thanks. Everyone hereabouts has been so supportive - even strangers who didn't know me by name recognized us as familiar figures walking each morning to the lake and back, and stop to ask if there's any news. I can still bring on tears if I pick at the scab, but why would I do that? He's gone, it's done, it's time to establish a new equilibrium. What-ifs will make you crazy if you let them........

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 5th, 2020, 11:38 pm

what-ifs can beget let-gos
patience is required

stilltrucking

Post by stilltrucking » February 13th, 2020, 12:35 pm

time and energy and chance
traded in my fitness tracker for an applewatch5™
not crying about the leaving
only dream I remember about Christ, the J he said, now get up and walk like a man
going against medical advice is a hairy business
godamn that applewatch5™, seems like my heart is still in the right place what's left of it.
smoked a cigarette today
thinking about a haiku about walking the path to love
and I am still walking and hope you are too

sasha

Post by sasha » February 16th, 2020, 10:46 am

I hate it when everyday household objects fight back. The thread that refuses to pass through the eye of the needle... the cowlick that won't be cowed... the car door that, if not pushed open hard enough, swings shut, knocking you back into your seat; but if pushed too hard, bounces off its stop - and swings shut, knocking you back into your seat. Honda at least seems to have solved the car door thing by damping the door's travel. Now if they could just invent a fabric thread that doesn't fray.

Despite the cold, I took my camera out yesterday on a beloved trail I haven't hiked in a few years. That cold cut the hike brutally short, not because it chilled me, but because it killed my camera's battery - and the spare I always carry. It's a little warmer today, up into the 20s F (-5 C) - I think I'll head back and try to get that shot I was lining up when the battery expired.

Although maybe I should head over to Peterboro Camera instead and pick up a new battery. The spare was getting pretty wonky anyway - maybe I should toss it and designate the one now in the camera as the spare.

Decisions, decisions......

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » February 16th, 2020, 5:48 pm

yes I battle toasters and coffee makers all day
got so I don't mind the fight, but lately, they are starting to talk back to me because little by little I have turned this shack into a SmartHome™
I even talk to this computer just like the character in the "Being There" movie./
Bright sunshine coming in through the window next to this computer.
I need to shut out all the light and sit here in the gloom so I can concentrate on taking a test for my new career path.
I just can not do the one I am on anymore
I want to learn to play the saxophone, die behind the wheel because a mind is a terrible thing to sell, but I don.t mind driving so I am going to truck the internet, yes the last long haul truck driving man is a search engine analyst.
this worldwide net is a super slab to be flowing in a river off tail lights, and headlights bits and bytes

sing another verse of the metafiscal blules
drinking rum and coca cola\
scuffling for the yankee dollar

thank god for music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVVSBJoUHSw
"Skepticism is the chastity of the intellect" Santayana The Idea of Christ in the Gospels

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 16th, 2020, 11:35 pm

slow on the uptake
i'll get to the question:
avoid or embrace

jackofnightmares

Post by jackofnightmares » February 17th, 2020, 2:48 pm

to be or not
or shuffle off to buffalo
prestidigital decisioning
kismet
amor fati

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 27th, 2020, 8:33 pm

I AM SICK OF WINTER - SICK - SNOW ALL FUCKING DAY - SNOW IN MY TOILET - SNOW IN MY NOSE - SNOW UP MY ASS - BAD CABIN FEVER ON TUG HILL -
I WANT JUNE SO I CAN BITCH ABOUT THE HEAT AND WIPE THE SWEAT OUT OF MY EYES AS I PEDAL UP A RIDGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytZqJATAjMg
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » February 27th, 2020, 11:38 pm

lucky me! i get to bitch in may. heat, sweat, all the green turns to dry brown. i'll send a postcard
"snow in the toilet"
that's gotta be colder than a freezing splash from the bidet (which i know)

the mingo

Post by the mingo » February 28th, 2020, 1:24 am

Oooooog ! {{{ judih! }}}
Doll, you may have found a place of rest but I'm still on the trail.

wylde

Post by wylde » February 28th, 2020, 5:38 am

womb with a view
on a clear day you can see forever
.homesick. but homeless.

Return to “Mingo's Lingo”