Post by saw » April 20th, 2020, 12:02 pm

IMG_2823.JPG
Black Marsh...North Point State Park
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

saw

Re: marsh-art

Post by saw » April 20th, 2020, 12:04 pm

I've been getting effects zooming into bodies of water when there is just a little movement.....i will post more soon....some are really mind blowing.....you can't see it through the view finder....it just happens.....with the zooming feature, a little sun, and water in motion

sasha

Post by sasha » April 20th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Ive long been fascinated by the swirling abstract shapes the surface of water assumes, distorting reflections, or forming those standing waves called hydraulic jumps... turbulence... or still water's calligraphic reflections of reeds and other debris, isolated from any context... such overlooked beauty. Looking forward to seeing your approach!

IMG_20151205_19129.jpg

IMG_20110402_07124.jpg

IMG_20150805_18578.jpg

IMG_20130519_14448.jpg

I shoot with an old Canon XTi, whose "sports mode" emulates those power winders on old film cameras - it shoots continuously as long as the shutter is held down - maybe 2-3 frames per second - until the buffer is filled. The intent is to capture multiple images of a rapidly unfolding event like a sports match in hopes that one of them will make the cover of Newsweek. I've been using it to recreate (however crudely) motion, in particular of running water. (I've learned the hard way - the only way, really - to set the focus manually beforehand, because otherwise the focus is apt to seek during shooting, resulting in a lot of out-of-focus images. And, of course, to use a tripod.)

Not sure what, if anything, I'm going to do with these - but here's a short, experimental clip I put up on YouTube showing what I'm talking about.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZpccEdc-g
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

saw

Post by saw » April 23rd, 2020, 3:02 pm

cool pics and video sasha....
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1323.JPG
Chesapeake Bay

sasha

Post by sasha » April 25th, 2020, 4:52 pm

love the starbursts, in the 1st one particularly

I'm struck by the colors - the clarity of the water... up here the streams and some ponds are stained reddish-brown by tannin leached out of fallen leaves, like tea. The deeper lakes are tinged green from algae.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

Return to “Photography”