Literary Press Org at S8?

What in the world is going on?
Cenacle

Literary Press Org at S8?

Post by Cenacle » March 27th, 2020, 7:58 pm

hi everyone,

as some here know from my many posts, i run a literary journal called The Cenacle, and a literary press called Scriptor Press New England (scriptorpress.com).

been doing this press work, to give a home to my writings and others, for 25 years as of this April. wondering: do others here do literary journals too? have any of you ever joined forces in collaboration?

let me know here, or at my email - editor@scriptorpress.com - i'd really love to work with others and share inspiration and good ideas!

peace,
raymond

judih
Site Admin

Re: Literary Press Org at S8?

Post by judih » March 28th, 2020, 12:04 am

lovely invitation.
Step up writers - toss your hat into a brilliant literary circle

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » March 29th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Follow up question: Does anyone here edit a literary journal?

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » March 31st, 2020, 7:30 pm

Or let me put this another way - for those of you who publish in journals - what are the ones you like best?

mnaz

Post by mnaz » April 6th, 2020, 4:19 pm

Never really thought about doing that. Just posted to a few sites. Met Doreen on the old Litkicks site. Been writing a book or two, slowly over many years. Time moves along... My 9 to 5 doesn't help, well, except for a check every month. Interesting.

sasha

Post by sasha » July 28th, 2020, 10:29 am

I've posted sporadically online for many years now at several sites, though rarely more than one at a time. Back in 2016 I was courted by a local writers' collective (the Monadnock Writers' Group) after I'd read some of my haiku at a poetry slam; but circumstances prevented me from following through. They have just published an anthology on the theme of life under COVID-19, which contains a short story I'd submitted in response to an open invitation they'd run in the local newspaper. The book is entitled "Penning the Pandemic", and is expected to be available on Amazon in a few weeks. I should revisit the notion of membership and try taking my dabblings to the next level.
"Falsehood flies, the Truth comes limping after it." - Jonathan Swift, ca. 1710

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » July 28th, 2020, 10:15 pm

excellent! It's a strange affirmation to see one's writing in print. (i exist! i wrote that!)

sasha

Post by sasha » July 29th, 2020, 10:00 am

Yes, it's an oddly exhilarating experience. The only other times I've seen my name in print (beyond the high school literary magazine) were a couple of technical articles I wrote for a small (and now defunct) trade magazine back in the 80s. There was no such thing as "3rd party software" back then, so a lot of us engineering sorts were writing our own, for what were then called "microcomputers". The journal "Access" was a means to share our best code with like-minded nerds.

saw

Post by saw » July 31st, 2020, 7:41 am

congratulations....I can relate....I was encouraged by Dan Cuddy ( the Irish Sea as he posts here )....to submit a few poems for the on-line journal the Loch Raven Review.......and three poems were published.......years later Dan told me there was now a printed version on Amazon ....so i ordered a few copies.....the weirdest thing for me was reading the bios for the poets.....everyone but me had mega-credentials, won awards etc....and there was me....this old laid back hippie that just happened to write poems....haha.....cool feeling though seeing your words in print with others that love the craft....I'll look on Amazon for your work.... 8)
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

saw

Post by saw » July 31st, 2020, 7:51 am

IMG_6318.JPG
The Loch Raven Review

this is the issue....
If you do not change your direction
you may end up where you are heading

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » August 1st, 2020, 10:47 am

That's a nice looking journal, Saw.

My question was less about publishing in other people's journals, and doing the work one's self, like I do with The Cenacle. Judih here publishes her beautiful ku in every issue of mine, going back to 2003 or so.

So I'm raising the question of maybe publishing other S8 members. Seems like there isn't anyone but me here on the editor end of things.

You can see new and old issues of The Cenacle at scriptorpress.com, if you haven't before. Let me know any thoughts on this. I check in here about once a week.

sasha

Post by sasha » August 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm

Still not sure what you're asking - are you looking for contributors from s8? Sorry for being so slow on the uptake - must be the heat. Or not enough coffee.... If that's your aim, one or two of my pieces of fiction were favorably received here, I wouldn't mind showing them to you.

judih
Site Admin

Post by judih » August 2nd, 2020, 2:21 am

sasha wrote:
August 1st, 2020, 1:02 pm
Still not sure what you're asking - are you looking for contributors from s8? Sorry for being so slow on the uptake - must be the heat. Or not enough coffee.... If that's your aim, one or two of my pieces of fiction were favorably received here, I wouldn't mind showing them to you.
I vote yes, Roy. Show them to Ray!

Cenacle

Post by Cenacle » August 5th, 2020, 2:38 pm

My apologies if I was unclear. I was inquiring if anyone else here published their own literary journals, as I do. Seems like everyone is writers here. Just curious if any editors too.

Doreen Peri
Site Admin

Post by Doreen Peri » August 11th, 2020, 2:27 am

I published an anthology of work posted at Studio8 years ago (with permission from the contributors as well as contributor bios). It was titled “Infinite Tide” and included both poetry and black & white art. I wanted it to be the first of many issues, but it turned out to be the only issue.

For the anthology, we had a group of editors working together to select content, & edit where necessary. (I think there were 4 or 5 of us).

Later, our members drifted away. If we have 25 members posting here anymore, I’d be surprised.

You’re welcome to ask for submissions to your journal if you want.... maybe that’s what you’re asking for? Sounds good to me. Ray.

Return to “Culture, Politics, Philosophy”