My cat is afraid of mice

Animal Welfare Issues.
Marksman45

My cat is afraid of mice

Post by Marksman45 » April 5th, 2006, 7:39 pm

That's right. She flees in terror before them.

We bought her a toy mouse in an attempt to help her overcome this fear, but she's afraid of it too.

Oddly enough, she's not afraid of the leather sculpture of a 1/2 scale panther, of which all the other cats we've had have been terrified. (Well, one of them would be brave enough to slap it, then run across the room and hide behind some furniture)

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » April 6th, 2006, 1:25 am

Your cat is WEIRD .... but not totally alien.

Tell me more about your cat ....

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » April 10th, 2006, 2:13 am

She's definitely an oddity. She gets into these weird moods where she spends hours running around and jumping at phantoms. I mean, all cats have their little wild moods, but my Blue Eyes White Dragon (as I call her) does this especially often. She's also the only cat that I've ever seen who tries to drink out of the toilet. She even rushes to the bathroom whenever someone goes inside it.

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » April 11th, 2006, 12:38 am

Blue Eyes White Dragon
So .... cool, you've got a blue eyes-white cat? See previous posts about this. She could be deaf. Have you had her tested? You can do it yourself, really. Next time you go shopping, casually pop a small brown paper bag and see if she reacts. Or better yet, pop a balloon.

If she's deaf, then no wonder mice freak her out. Lots of things would freak me out if I was deaf.

If she's not deaf, then know that I have a Blue Eyes White Cat. He's not all white and he has some serious Siamese in him, but he's also a strange little ghost. He's very loving, but also very shy and sensitive. He's been known to turn into a flame throwing dragon when scared. Could he catch a mouse? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on his survival instincts. He's sort of fragile, in a way.

The BEST color for a CAT is something between MUD and CAMOUFLAGE -- it's a BROWN TABBY. The closer a cat is to brown tabby the closer they are to survival skills. I have no brown tabbies, lol.

A WHITE CAT would probably not live long in the wild. Just because of color, it would be a target. Add sensitive eyes to that (light blue) and you've got a recipe for disaster.

I hope you keep your
Blue Eyes White Dragon
inside only. She's very precious (rare) and also vulnerable.

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » April 11th, 2006, 12:42 am

Just one cat?

Every cat needs a cat-friend. Get your White Dragon a kitten friend. She'll get braver and be happier too.

So will you.

Marksman45

Post by Marksman45 » April 11th, 2006, 5:59 am

I don't think she's deaf... she can hear the rustling of the catfood bag from clear across the house :)

She's not all that white either; she's got colouring like a Siamese (although her hair is long. Neither of her parents were Siamese, and the rest of the litter were black. How's that for odd?).

We definitely keep her inside. She seems to think that she wants outside, but I'm pretty sure she wouldn't fare to well, especially out here in the country. Far too many large dogs running around, for one thing, and she's a very small cat. I could just see her trying to make friends with the horses across the street and getting trampled (she's also the clumsiest cat that I've ever seen).

abcrystcats

Post by abcrystcats » April 12th, 2006, 4:12 pm

she's got colouring like a Siamese (although her hair is long. Neither of her parents were Siamese, and the rest of the litter were black. How's that for odd?).
That's very odd indeed, but did mom-cat go outside when she was in heat? Because if so, there could have been more than one father for the kittens, and that would explain a Siamese-type thrown in with the black ones. NEAT litter!! I would just go snap-happy with a camera photographing a litter of all black kittens with one blue-eyed Siamese mix.

Have you ever heard of Ojos Azules? It's supposedly a type of cat that has blue eyes, but ANY coat color. For instance, you could have a blue-eyed black, or gray or dilute calico. I don't know whether it's a myth, or a real cat breed someone is working on, or WHAT. I've looked for them on the internet and they are listed in various places, but it is next to impossible to find pictures of them, and equally impossible to find someone who claims to breed them.

On the other hand, Toygers (cute name!) are REAL!! This is a cat bred to look like a small TIGER!! They are incredibly cute! Hope they don't have breed-specific health or temperament problems.

Return to “Cathouse”